Sailor Kingdom Note "crustacean Series" Birgus Latro

white_lotus

So far over the past five years Kingdom Note has collaborated with Sailor to produce a thematic group of inks exclusive for the shop. In 2015, the series was on Crustaceans of Japan, or more specifically, the waters of Japan.

Cambaroides japonicus

Birgus latro

Marsupenaeus japonicus

Uca arcuata

Macrocheira kaempferi

Originally I was only able to acquire a couple of these, and recently these inks came back in stock, except for the M. kaempferi, and I was able to get two more. I've previously reviewed two of these inks, the C. japonicus and the U. arcuata, The links are above in the list. This review is for the B. latro, the Coconut Crab. The ink is a mid-to-dark value brown that does not lean red, with excellent shading, fast dry times, and is nearly waterproof. The ink sometimes appears close to black. In that regard it is similar to Sailor's Do-you, but the coloring is different here, and the value typically lighter. The lubrication is exceptionally smooth. The ink comes in the standard Sailor "jar" bottle.

The Wikipedia page for this species provides interesting information about the creature.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coconut_crab

Pen: Edison Premiere (M-steel)

Papers: MvL=Mohawk via Linen, TR=Tomoe River, Hij=Hammermill 28 lb inkjet, Rhodia=Rhodia 90g ivory.

Camera: iPhone 7

fpn_1486179333__img_5005.jpg
fpn_1486179448__img_5019.jpg
fpn_1486179525__img_5022.jpg
fpn_1486179611__img_5015.jpg
fpn_1486179638__img_5030.jpg
fpn_1486179673__img_5014.jpg
fpn_1486179699__img_5024.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• white_lotus

• jmccarty3

• amberleadavis

• Barkingpig

THANK YOU for another,

Beautifully presented ink! I watched this ink from a seller on Ebay & "fought the good fight" thru it's subsequent listings for sale. I felt I had sufficient Bung Box & other Dark Browns & have resisted. I did NOT however, remain strong when the same seller relisted Uca aucuata, shortly after I read your review of same. I have been diligently watching it's tracking activity for the past few weeks & ONLY today, it has cleared Customs in NYC!

I had written down the name for this "Coconut Crab" ink to prevent my confusion if it "reappeared," to prevent my temptation of it's family member, "Fiddler Crab," which is a very different ink. It is still in my journal & now after your glowing review, I may not be as strong, if the opportunity arises again!

Sailor makes some beautiful inks & the Kingdom Note Shop has many of them.

(I will confess, after resisting Bung Box's Tortoise Brown, I also weakened & suspect it is very similar to this ink. It was MUCH darker, "in person," than the Vanness swab indicated.)

Edited by Barkingpig

This looks very nice. Similar to to some vintage Skrip Brown (red box) for which I don't have enough any more (because the bottle leaked :(). Thanks for the review. And, well, not....

How am I supposed to be saving up for one of the M405 Stressemans when you keep putting up review of yummy inks? :angry: I'm trying to *budget* -- it's almost tax season, after all.

I mean, do some hideous orange or murky green next time, okay? Something I will not want to buy.... B)

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thank you for the kind words. I'm sorry for creating such challenges. Sorry to hear of your tribulations with shipping from Japan, BarkingPig. Some people must truly use the "slow boat".

But Ruth you should definitely keep saving for the M405 Stresemann because it's amazing. I love mine. And three murky greens will come in the future in a few weeks. But first there will be some fungi inks, and that's not SITB. :)

Thanks for yet another review of a marvelous ink.

Thanks also for the Yeats poem. I really identified with it.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

• 3 weeks later...

I love those coconut crabs - especially if you can see the pictures DCWaites has.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY