Fpn Server Hosting Upgrades ....

wimg

This transition must have taken many many hours of thoughtful planning and coordination...

Many thanks (and admiration) to WIM and the Admin team responsible for these upgrades.

Best Regards to all,

Bill

Thank you for this, as others said I have realised a faster loading time.

Best regards.

Good job - thank you :)

Thank you all!

it has taken a fair amount of planning indeed, and figuring out what type of server to go for. We also migrated the test sites first, and because it went so well, we decided to migrate the FPN live site this weekend too - would have bene a week later otherwise :).

And everything runs a bit faster indeed :).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wimg

• OCArt

• jmccarty3

• praxim

Top Posters In This Topic

With the implementation of SSL, will this be website-wide? Or only on specific things like private-messaging? Forgive me for any incompetence I'm not the best with computers :unsure:

We will test this first in our test environment. The idea is to make everything encrypted, but we do not know yet whether this is possible. As we do not store any financial information on FPN, all that is really required is to have an encrypted login. PMs are not really a problem with this, they do not need it. Emails from FPN will make use from SSL anyway, once we are done, so if you have encryption on your side, you will receive emails encrypted. This is something you never actually see, as your mailserver and mail reader will take care of this.

Google recently was complaining about the fact that their bots could not see any user profiles here, but we refuse to give any bots or guests access to those. Similarly, there are some forums like Chatter which bots and guests have no access to either.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Hi,

cannot use site. cannot get pages to move up or down without great effort. not worth going on site at present.

virtuoso aka steve

Problem Accessing FPN from iMac

First, thanks to all who maintain and upgrade this marvelous site. However, I have recently had great problems accessing FPN. I use an iMac and my main browser is Safari. Safari cannot find the main page https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/. If I Google FPN I can link to the forums listed in the Google query but not the main page. I have, of course, tried reloading the page, clearing the cache and other browsers such as Chrome, and Opera. I finally got to this forum using Vivaldi browser and Googling "members helping members."

If anyone knows how to make the settings on my Mac more FPN friendly I would appreciate the help. I will follow this thread so that I can get any responses via email.

Thanks!

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

I'm also using an iMac and Safari. No trouble accessing the site, but I'm not getting notification emails, except for a few on new topic posts.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

The iMac should not matter. Are you using fully current versions of Mac OS and Safari?

I am having no problems with access or notifications on stuff which is up to date.

X

Current model iMac, with OS Sierra and Safari 10.0.3. I know browsers do weird things, but that shouldn't affect email. It doesn't matter whether I use Mail or access my email through the Yahoo web site. I did get a notification of praxim's last post, but it's unusual to get a notification that isn't about a new post or a quote.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

My ability to access FPN on a Mac seems to go in and out. Right now, Wednesday evening, I just had to do one refresh and I'm on the site. Had a similar problem last Sunday and could not access on iPad nor iMac, then in the early week it was fine.

My email notification came through just fine. Just reporting data for the cause, I'm sure all will be ironed out in time.

Safari 10.0.3, OSX El Capitan

Edited by OCArt

OCArt, I've had the same issues intermittently the last couple of days (reported on another thread). I'm using Sierra 10.12.3 and Safari 10.0.3 on a MacBook Air. Command-R didn't help. Clearing the cache helped *some*. Logging in indirectly via the Google link *only* worked for me yesterday morning (at the car dealership on their free wi-fi) if I clicked on one of the sub-links.

But because it's intermittent, it may be hard to track. :(

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thanks for the info, Ruth. Today all is working well so maybe it was a transitory thing.

Actually, it is extremely hard to clear cache, temp files, history and cookies completely with Safari, and almost as hard with Chrome. Because we got a new ip-address, that is however what you may have to try and do.

In addition, some recent browser updates may make things more difficult too. There is lately a whole host of "white screens" showing up, i.e., white browser pages, no content iow, framed by the standard browser frame, especially with Safari, FireFox and Chrome, but also with other web browsers, on many site, but especially on WordPress sites and more complex sites (complex web pages), like FPN. Generally, a screen refresh or restart of the browser should fix this, however.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

I have seen "white screen". I found after leaving one for a little while that it rendered itself; maybe, ten seconds? There was no evidence of a refresh in that process. The display simply appeared. I shall try restarting the iPad, where the problem is more evident, the only really effective way to restart an application on those things.

X

Thanks, Wim. I appreciate your tip.

Actually, it is extremely hard to clear cache, temp files, history and cookies completely with Safari, and almost as hard with Chrome. Because we got a new ip-address, that is however what you may have to try and do.

In addition, some recent browser updates may make things more difficult too. There is lately a whole host of "white screens" showing up, i.e., white browser pages, no content iow, framed by the standard browser frame, especially with Safari, FireFox and Chrome, but also with other web browsers, on many site, but especially on WordPress sites and more complex sites (complex web pages), like FPN. Generally, a screen refresh or restart of the browser should fix this, however.

HTH, warm regards, Wim