Fpn Server Hosting Upgrades ....

wimg

Dearest Members and Visitors of our little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

New requirements

Lately we have been seeing a slowdown of services at busy times. In addition, Google asks us to upgrade to SSL (https:).

As we also are getting close to using 60% of our disk space, would like to have a faster setup for hosting of any images, would like better backup facilities, and have expansion options for the future, we are in the process of having a new server configured for us, with more RAM, more disk space, and all the other facilities we need to keep performance and requirements at a good level, so we will be able to go forward for another 4 to 5 years.

Changes and migrations
This does mean that there will be occasional down times over the next week or few weeks, while databases and files are being transferred, and new ip-address and DNS are being activated and propagated. This is also true for the migration to SSL / https. Obviously we will first tackle the test site and related items, prior to migrating FPN itself, to make sure we know what to expect, and how to deal with any changes.

We do expect the server to be ready by Saturday, and will then start moving everything across in incremental steps. We will make announcements as to when these changes are going to be made, and we will try to do our utmost, together with the hosting team, to have as little down time as possible.

Thank you

BTW, this is all made possible thanks to your donations, ink and pen sales, and advertising on our site. I would therefore also like to take the opportunity to thank you all very much indeed for your continued support of FPN in the form of the contributions you have all made in this regard, from acceptance of the advertising on our site, to buying FPN pens and ink, the various donation options, and the premium accounts! Thank you very much, and here is to the next 5 years!

Enjoy, and we will keep you posted!

Warm regards, Wim

On behalf of the FPN Moderator and Admin Team

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wimg

• OCArt

• jmccarty3

• praxim

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the heads up.

I'm constantly amazed and grateful for the amount of work you guys do to keep this place up and running (on top of your real jobs).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thank you!

The server is up and running in the mean time and the test environment is being migrated as we speak :).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Well, so far fairly painless. It looks like we can pull this off in 3 hours if all goes well.

We may actually even do this tomorrow as a result :).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Wim,

Many thanks for all of this...it's a great board and a great community, because if what you've put into it.

Best,

Tim

Tim

timsvintagepens.com and @timsvintagepens

Thank you, Tim.

Been busy with preparations on and off for over a few weeks now, and two days fully, but it is paying off now. Really looking forward to expanding our space a bit :).

It also helps a lot with restructuring our setup for SSL.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

We're back online again, after propagation.

The latter appears to have taken approximately two hours, to get from the US to Europe anyway.

This was the first step in a set of many, to update the site :).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Thanks. Keepin' the spirit of the bestest Fountain Pen forum alive. (It's so good I had to make that word up.)

Thanks for everything you do. I'm glad my contribution could help make this possible.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Thank you for doing this. It may be suggestion, but I'm seeing a marked improvement on how the site loads. After an initially slow load, all the next pages come in much faster. The first load going slow was probably the rebuilding of the buffered part on my system. So the upgrade has already paid off for me - masha danki!

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Thanks. Keepin' the spirit of the bestest Fountain Pen forum alive. (It's so good I had to make that word up.)

Thanks for everything you do. I'm glad my contribution could help make this possible.

Welcome home. Pull up a bitmap and set a spell.

Thank you for all your hard work!

Thank you all, and yes, all contributions help, whether that is a direct donation, a membership donation, a premium account upgrade, buying an ink or a pen here, or even just allowing adverts to be displayed - it all helps.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Thank you for doing this. It may be suggestion, but I'm seeing a marked improvement on how the site loads. After an initially slow load, all the next pages come in much faster. The first load going slow was probably the rebuilding of the buffered part on my system. So the upgrade has already paid off for me - masha danki!

It does load faster indeed. We now have twice the memory (128 GB instead of 64 GB :)), a much larger hard drive, still SSD, slightly faster processors (2 Xeon hexacores), and a major upgrade to PHP and OS. This is a dedicated server geared towards database use (our forum software) and loading of images, and it works well indeed.

We still have the option to double the RAM again if so required, but as we seem to hover around 60% to 70% now, whereas it was 94% to 97% on the old server, with 64 GB RAM, so I think we are doing well, and it also explains why the old server was getting a bit slow at times (60% - 70% of 128 GB is more than 97% of 64 GB :)).

Over the next period, hopefully next few weeks, we will go forward with conversion to SSL (https), and tune the server a bit as well - different server, hence different requirements for tuning. For now things work well, however.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

This transition must have taken many many hours of thoughtful planning and coordination...

Many thanks (and admiration) to WIM and the Admin team responsible for these upgrades.

Best Regards to all,

Bill

Thank you for this, as others said I have realised a faster loading time.

Best regards.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

Over the next period, hopefully next few weeks, we will go forward with conversion to SSL (https), and tune the server a bit as well - different server, hence different requirements for tuning. For now things work well, however.

With the implementation of SSL, will this be website-wide? Or only on specific things like private-messaging? Forgive me for any incompetence I'm not the best with computers :unsure: