Lamy Safari Review

FPSymphony

Sometimes when I am using my Safari or Vista, I seriously wonder why I would ever spend more money for a FP. They really are splendid -- cheap and functional.

Comparatively speaking, I'd be hard pressed to disagree with you on this

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FPSymphony

• MomoShinChan

• davidtaylorjr

• VCSL

Great review of a great pen. The umbra/charcoal is the most popular of all the models. Every time we sell 10 Umbras we sell 2 in some of the other colours. I still have my first Safari Umbra that my late mother gave me back in the early 80'ies when the Safaris had just been introduced - it still works great. Although I have several more expensive pens, Safaris/Vistas are my daily users together with a Schneider Smart (- a very cheap but nice and clearly underrated pen...hmm...I ought to do a review of that one).

People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them - Dave Berry

Min danske webshop med notesbøger, fyldepenne og blæk

As a beginner in the world of fountain pens (or a re-beginner to use a word which doesn't exist but should); I had initially resisted purchasing a Lamy Safari despite hearing so many good things about it. I didn't doubt that they were good pens; it was simply the look of the thing that put me off.

But then about 3 weeks ago, I finally broke down and ordered one from Mr. Amazon. I shelled out for the converter which is currently filled with Noodler's Red Black. And I have to say I love it. I also went for the charcoal model and when not in use it pretty much lives in my jeans pocket.

I'm a believer.

• 1 year later...

I'll be getting the 2018 Safari All Black model soon! Really looking forward to it.

That's the one I ordered too :)

That's the one I ordered too :)

What a coincidence? I don't really like Lamy pens that much but the Safari is right my alley.

• 2 years later...

One sentence summary: I HATE THIS PEN!

GOOD:

1. I received my Lamy Safari with a F nib (charcoal black) earlier today. It is a aesthetic pen; it is very comfortable to hold with a tripod grip. I like the way it feels.

2. Once I tried it with ink, it feels very smooth. I have never encountered this type of pleasant smoothness on a fountain pen. That was quite an eye opener. Although, it would take some time to get used to.

BAD:

1. I don't know why people in the internet keep on recomending beginners to use a medium sized nib. I like my handwriting to be thiner so I went for the F nib. To my dismay, the lines that it make are unbearably thick.

2. There are no line variations on this pen. That is really very annoying. With the cheaper fountain pens, I could do it, or at least make an illusion of it by lifting the pen higher or glide faster on the parts which I wish to be thiner. [Heck! I could even do that on a gel pen!] Unfortunately, that doesn't happen with this one. The ink still goes on with the same consistency. I will attach a picture of a cursive letter "b" to demonstrate what I mean.

3. My handwriting looks worst with this pen. I had a hard time writing nicely with this pen. Just see the attached image.

4. There were a number of instances that the pen won't write on the start of the letter. Such as the upper portion of the small "a" and "g", redering it looking like "u" and "y"; and the starting ascending line of the cursive small letters "h", "l", and "k".

170697835_2610356265929709_5831835196547279561_n.jpg

170108530_724849488206444_4988084588913627224_n.jpg

2 minutes ago, VCSL said:

One sentence summary: I HATE THIS PEN!

GOOD:

1. I received my Lamy Safari with a F nib (charcoal black) earlier today. It is a aesthetic pen; it is very comfortable to hold with a tripod grip. I like the way it feels.

2. Once I tried it with ink, it feels very smooth. I have never encountered this type of pleasant smoothness on a fountain pen. That was quite an eye opener. Although, it would take some time to get used to.

BAD:

1. I don't know why people in the internet keep on recomending beginners to use a medium sized nib. I like my handwriting to be thiner so I went for the F nib. To my dismay, the lines that it make are unbearably thick.

2. There are no line variations on this pen. That is really very annoying. With the cheaper fountain pens, I could do it, or at least make an illusion of it by lifting the pen higher or glide faster on the parts which I wish to be thiner. [Heck! I could even do that on a gel pen!] Unfortunately, that doesn't happen with this one. The ink still goes on with the same consistency. I will attach a picture of a cursive letter "b" to demonstrate what I mean.

3. My handwriting looks worst with this pen. I had a hard time writing nicely with this pen. Just see the attached image.

4. There were a number of instances that the pen won't write on the start of the letter. Such as the upper portion of the small "a" and "g", redering it looking like "u" and "y"; and the starting ascending line of the cursive small letters "h", "l", and "k".

170697835_2610356265929709_5831835196547279561_n.jpg

170108530_724849488206444_4988084588913627224_n.jpg

Honestly, this is the first time I spent more than 20 usd on a fountain pen. It really peeved me off. I was expecting the pen to make my handwriting look more elegant. Turns out, it just made it worst. I will no longer consider buying another fountain pen above that price line after this encounter. I might try their EF nib or even a double EF if that exist. Anyway, it is just such a disapointment.

I have to assume you have considerable experience with fountain pens to care about the details of the nib's performance, but I have to ask some basic questions since you didn't mention them-

1. Is this your first Lamy pen? Are you familiar with their nibs and performance?

2. In the examples you look to be using pretty inexpensive paper not particularly well suited to fountain pens due to the high absorbency. Did you try the Lamy on higher quality paper that is less likely to bleed?

3. Did you try more than one ink? Ink, feed and paper can really fight each other in certain combinations.

Sorry you had bad luck so far with the Safari. Oddly enough, that pen is on my to-try list because I generally hear very good things about it and the company. Everyone's expectations and needs are different certainly.

I've always regarded the Safaris as pretty much bullet-proof writers.  If you don't like a nib you can replace it for (relative) peanuts.  I'd never go for a medium though.  The 1.1 and OM nibs are lovely to write with.  Oh and by the way, there are people (like me) who hate F and EF nibs with a vengeance....  ;)).  

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

Strong words and strong feelings! Strangely, my recent F Lamy nibs write more like EF.

I would probably agree with the OP that the Safari doesn’t improve the look of my writing. But it’s a rugged EDC and unfussy travel companion.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

I have a terrible handwriting. No pen will make it look better,not stub or calligraphy nibs will help. For me to write with a soft nib is the priority and the Lamy Safari nibs are pleasant to use .

• 1 month later...

We have a lot of Lamy Safaris here. I have equipped the whole family with it. The kids keep losing some, you buy a new one, but then they turn up again and so one Safari comes to another. 

I myself like to write with these Safaris. A completely unremarkable product that always works. I think it's precisely because such a Safari is nothing special that it's the best-selling fountain pen in the world.

No one comes along and says, "What a great pen you have! 
No one congratulates you on your purchase, and no one applauds your good taste.

Nobody cares about a Lamy Safari. I think that's good. I like that. 

Besides, with no other fountain pen can you change the nib so easily and so cheaply, even in the middle of writing. Pull it off and put it on: Done.
In addition, you can retrofit gold nibs cheaply and then probably have the cheapest fountain pen with a gold nib.
I find these Safaris completely unproblematic in everyday use. You pull out the cap, write, and that's it. 

But there is one drawback: I can hardly fit a Safari in the pen loops of my notebooks. The loops are too narrow or the notebooks too small. That's why I've supplemented my Safaris with many, many Kawecos. The right fountain pen for every pen loop. Yes, fountain pen writing is not cheap.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/13/2021 at 5:12 AM, JNeffLind said:

Nice review.  Can't say I'm a fan of the safari though.  Grip issues for me.

Me, too. The fine nib on mine writes smooth and wet with a Diamine green ink (I forget which specifically) on cheap paper which is nice but I can't get past the triangular grip. It makes my hand feel cramped up.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the safari as a tough pen for work.

The plastic is tough, the clip is tough and fits on my collar, there's a colour I really like (terra), it's cheap enough not to worry about damaging it (not that cheap though at ~AUD$50), the fine nib is smooth enough to write with quickly in a range of awkward situations.

For me it's beauty through function.

There are lots of more interesting pens but I'm not sure how many would put up with the abuse I give my Safari.

I do hate proprietary system though.

• 3 weeks later...

I have 3 Safaries, and I love them all. Had an AL star, but didn't like the feel of the aluminum body. Long story, but I broke it, and did not replace it. I have the EF, F, B, and a 1.1 stub. The EF is my favorite. I have not given the stub enough time to learn to use it correctly. All the nib sizes work well, but I write small and the EF is my favorite. I use it to write on Post-it notes and have no problem with feathering. My wife does not like the triangular grip, so I get to keep my pens.  

I also have a Pilot Vanishing Point in EF. Love it but most people call it scratchy. I use it to write notes in my Bibles. It is one pen that does not bleed through BIble paper like most pens/inks do. It is a stunning pen and draws a lot of compliments. The charcoal Safari has gotten many complimlents, which continues to surprise me. I have a TWSBI 580 in EF, again to go with my small writing. It's the diamond model and it does draw comments. Very smooth writing. So is the TWSBI Eco, though it is not as handsome as it's big brother. Finally I have a Conklin Duragraph in a brown/orange color. Very smooth writing and draws attention to itself.  Not a large collection of FPs, but fills my needs/uses. Hands down, I like the Charcoal Safari as my go to writer, with the VP close behind. 

I am sorry you don't like your Safari. Using fountain pens is fun for me, and I find them easier and more comfortable than using ball points, gel pens, pencils, etc. Fortunately, we have many varieties of pens to choose from. Enjoy your search for your favorite.