FPN Merchandise Heaven !

Admin

Geeezzz... seems like FPN has been taken over by BBQ livers ! :lol:

For the story, there is an old thread were I affirmed the indisputable and absolute truth that (while I love a good BBQ) it does not qualify as "cooking". I also put forward the hypothesis that the myth was created by husbands wanting to play with food in the garden, pretending to be doing their load of the domestic chores. :lol:

Well I'm a BBQ lover and I have to say that with the amount of preparation ie. marination of the meats in question that BBQ can rank up with Nouvelle Cuisine in amount of work required in preparation and pleasure given in eating.

K H

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KCat

• wimg

• Roger

• grasshopper

Top Posters In This Topic

For the story, there is an old thread were I affirmed the indisputable and absolute truth that (while I love a good BBQ) it does not qualify as "cooking". I also put forward the hypothesis that the myth was created by husbands wanting to play with food in the garden, pretending to be doing their load of the domestic chores. :lol:

Nah, Denis. You don't quite have the complete handle on the typical 'merican's taste.

With land available, we tend to have homes with some sort of yard available to us. That yard is to BBQ in! :lol: I don't pretend to know how it started, but many of us have been weened from momma's breast and immediately whisked to the yard where we were given rib bones on which to suckle. Rib bones qualify as well for Homo sapien infants as they do for Canis domestica. They don't splinter and are hard as h-ll! :) Now, those bones, of course, have the dregs of the charcoal and sauce flavors still clinging. Thus, the birth of generations of appreciators. :lol: It should also be mentioned that the infant soon learns that acting in its most precocious and adorable manner will earn them sips of the beverage of choice with BBQ...BEER! "Now, you know the rest of the story".

Isn't that sort of like how the French youngsters acquire their taste for wine? :unsure:

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

Hi Roger,

Isn't that sort of like how the French youngsters acquire their taste for wine? :unsure:

Yeah, but the French equivalent is stick bread and unsavoury chease :D. You need to drink wine to down it. :lol: Actually, you need some wine first before you even try, you might get discouraged otherwise because of the smell... :lol:

And now you know why a Frenchman doesn't call BBQ cooking... :lol:

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

(Women's pink T-shirt????? :o None for men?? :doh: )

Yeah. Wim needs one of them to go with his fuchsia ink. :lol:

Nah, I need a t-shirt that really contrasts well with it... :lol:

Roger, a bit more of a push, and I think Wim might succumb. ;) :lol:

You can't always get what you want... but if you try sometimes... you just might find... you'll get what you need...

Roger, a bit more of a push, and I think Wim might succumb. ;)   :lol:

Yep! Just considering a contrasting color means that he's into the really cute tops. :bunny1:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

If BBQs involved more than just simple slices of marinated meat/chicken/sausages, could it then qualify as cooking? And as Kurt mentioned, wouldn't marinating time and the preparation of said marinade technically qualify as cooking?

How about cooking kebabs or satay (a southeast asian kebab)? What about bringing out a pot and cooking a stew on the BBQ grill/pit? What about cooking in large pots over a small campfire like they do in the villages out here? (I'm on a roll here cause I've got various images from Keith Floyd's programmes floating in my head - my favourite celebrity chef!) :lol: B) :doh:

Personally though, I actually prefer to do my cooking indoors. I just can't be bothered to cook outdoors at all. For BBQ's I'll do the preparing and marinating in the kitchen and let someone else have a ball with the grilling outside. (all this talk of food... I've just had dinner, but I think it's time for supper already...)

And to bring this conversation back in tune with the thread, I can't wait to order my sexy FPN apron! :bunny1:

You can't always get what you want... but if you try sometimes... you just might find... you'll get what you need...

Guest Denis Richard

Dang... all that talk reminds me that I have to ask my grandmother for that bbq marinade that my chef late grand-uncle used at family reunions. Of course that would not be spread on a few pieces, but on a whole lamb. That was heaven.

Still not cooking ! I would put it more in the "comfort food" group :lol:

Denis... really pulling your legs :D

Edited by Denis Richard

Nice one, guys. Thanks for setting it up!!

BTW, it reached 110 degrees in Tucson yesterday ...

i have Raynaud's syndrome* and I'd still rather live in a cold climate! 110! Sheesh.

I'll never understand why my folks are in NM - my mother swore after 9 years in Libya that she would never live in a desert again.

*Raynaud's is an autoimmune vascular condition that often accompanies other autoimmune disease. In me, it just means numb toes, hands and nose when the weather changes.

Edited by KCat

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

I cannot believe someone would dare to suggest that BBQng is not cooking!!! :o

LOL I love the BBQ and when you get the biggest one you can get you can do everything on it, including grilling, rottisseri-ing (LOL) and baking! ---yesss you can bake on a bbq (of course it helps if you have a special additional burner in it as well) I have had my royal Chef prepare a number of fine dishes on the barbie - fit for a Queen!!! LOL :lol:

Three Cheers for the BBQ!! ( as an aside, who invented the BBQ??)

Mmmm, all this talk about food is making me hungry.... :eureka:

*HRH calls out, "Jeeves! Call Pierre and have him ready a cowboy steak for "us", please and thank you."* :lol:

Edited by Royally Inked

Three Cheers for the BBQ!! ( as an aside, who invented the BBQ??)

okay - well, RI might not want to tell us where she lives...

but I can tell you she doesn't live in Texas. No one here would refer to BBQ as "the BBQ." :P

Here you eat BBQ that is cooked on the Grill. :D

Origin of BBQ: Bubba Joe took an empty oil barrel from one of our many oil fields here in TX, cut it down the middle, welded some legs on and poured mesquite chips in and said "Behold, the Holy Grill!"

:meow:

p.s. - i ordered the apron.

edit: dang typos...

Edited by KCat

KCat

Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Guest Denis Richard

I dunno if there is a consistent history of bbq (after all, people have been "cooking " :P on fire pits for quite a while).

The word though seems to come from the French "barbe à queue", meaning "beard to tail", and referring to grilling a whole animal on a fire.

Edited by Denis Richard

ROFL Kcat you're too funny....actually I have family in Texas (I'm sure they would be ashamed of me for saying such a thing :lol:

Oh well, I'm just thankful the darn thing was invented... :eureka:

I dunno if there is a consistent history of bbq (after all, people have been "cooking " :P on fire pits for quite a while).

The word though seems to come from the French "barbe à queue", meaning "beard to tail", and referring to grilling a whole animal on a fire.

Oooohhh, that is a pity now...

I understood "coking", before you edited it, to mean: to make cokes, or charcoal. :D This is very apt after all :lol:

Warm regards, WIm

the Mad Dutchman

And for some of us Southerners, BBQ is also a noun <_<

:P Bill :D

BTW, it reached 110 degrees in Tucson yesterday ...

Depends on the reporting point, Cam. I only read 108 deg. F. here, 15 miles south of Tucson. :lol:

Roger, does that put you somewhere near Tubac or so? WONDERFUL part of the world -- I love it!

I understood "coking", before you edited it, to mean: to make cokes, or charcoal. :D This is very apt after all :lol:

Warm regards, WIm

yeah - but I was referring to the fir pits. Which just sounds like a disgusting way to BBQ.

KCat