New Pen Decisions To Make

theoddcopy

Hello all,

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a new pen purchase but am having difficulty with choosing what to get. I think I've got my mind on a TWSBI 580AL EF nib, but the problems I hear about from TWSBI got me worried a bit.

I've considered going for a more expensive demonstrator like the Custom Heritage 92, but I'm not sure if I want to go and spend that much at the moment.

Same goes for the Vanishing Point, I really want one, but thought that I should wait a bit for it as well.

My goal for the pen is for it to be something I can carry with me to work, coffee shop, or just use at home. I'm probably going to put a new black ink or blue black into my Lamy 2k and then turn this new pen into the one that carries fun colors (looking for suggestions on a good dark purple or deep blue)

Sometimes I'll pull out a notebook and write down total nonsense just because I love to feel a pen move across a page.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• theoddcopy

• TheRealMikeDr

• Pichak

• ParkerDuofold

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought an Eco and have no issues with it after 3 or 4 months. Granted, I rotate my pens. I think TWSBI is getting most of their kinks worked out now and I haven't read of any significant issues with the 580. Personally, I think you'd be safe with the TWSBI and they always get good remarks on their customer service as well.

"Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts." - Patrick Rothfuss

That's true, with every story of a TWSBI product issue there is a story of how great their customer service is. I've heard such good things about their stuff when there aren't any problems that I am very excited to get one in my hand.

Sometimes I'll pull out a notebook and write down total nonsense just because I love to feel a pen move across a page.

I picked up a TWSBI Diamond 580 middle of 2016. I have purposefully kept it in the daily writing rotation and it writes and looks just as it did out of the box. I'm sure that there are people having issues with some of their TWSBI pens, but as it goes sometimes, those unhappy appear to have the loudest voices.

Right about the same time, I picked up 2 TWSBI Eco's one in a 1.1 stub and the other in medium. Same deal. Almost daily writers, look new. Have been through tons of different inks, but still writing strong!

If you still have some apprehension, pick up an Eco for $30 first, check it out and see how you feel. Then, if you still feel the urge for that 580, pick one up.

Of the 2 styles, they are both very nice, but I find that I really like the feel of the Diamond 580 much more than the Eco.

How fine is the TWSBI extra fine (if you have any experience with it)? I like being able to write small-ish in field notes and other graph or dot pad configurations.

How fine is the TWSBI extra fine (if you have any experience with it)? I like being able to write small-ish in field notes and other graph or dot pad configurations.

It's plenty fine, almost as fine as the soft fine nib on my Platinum 3776. For my daily writing, I use grid or dot grid with a 5mm ruling and I find the extra fine perfect for my needs.

That's true, with every story of a TWSBI product issue there is a story of how great their customer service is. I've heard such good things about their stuff when there aren't any problems that I am very excited to get one in my hand.

Hello Odd Copy,

The VERY BEST customer service you'll ever receive is the customer service you never need... save up your pennies and go for the Custom Heritage 92. ;)

- Anthony

Of the 2 styles, they are both very nice, but I find that I really like the feel of the Diamond 580 much more than the Eco.

This is what I have found as well.

Bought my 580 back in late 2014. B nib, which I later had stubbed. No problems with the pen until late August 2016 when the cap cracked. Turn around on getting a new cap was less than a week from the time I emailed TWSBI to receipt of cap. No problems since.

The Eco is a good pen. Might while inked almost continuously for nearly a year now, to be truthful doesn't get as much use as my 580. Both have received a number of different inks. (my Eco is a 1.1 stub) I think the cap design is nicer on the 580 (and the piston knob)

So no, the 580 isn't perfect. But it is good. Its a good intro to a piston filler too.

Is it as good a pen as a 3776 Century or Custom Heritage 92? No, but it is less expensive too. A lot less. I think the AL is $55. The 580 is $50. A 3776 Century can be had for as little as $70-80. (buying from a Japanese seller through Amazon) The 3776 is $176 from Goulet. Not familiar with pricing on the CH92.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I have three TWSBIs (VAC Mini, Diamond Mini and ECO) for more than a year. There are not any problem with my TWSBIs at all.

I dont have Pilot Custom Heritage 92 but a Heritage 91 and still plan to purchase a 92 soon. For me, it is worth to add more money to get a 92. The 92 gold nib is much better than TWSBI steel nib and its construction seem more durable.

Edited by Pichak

The 580AL starts at $60. The Custom Heritage is about double; beginning at $105 and running up to $125, depending on the color and the nib.

But you get what you pay for; chances are good the TWSBI will crack within 2 years or less... and keep cracking. The CH 92 will give a LIFETIME of trouble-free service as long as it's properly maintained.

No matter how well you take care of a TWSBI, it'll probably crack eventually.

- Anthony

My VAC Mini has an EF nib. It writes well not to wet or dry with some feedback. As PaganArcher said, it line width almost the same as Platinum or Pilot F nib.

Your comments have been helpful, but at the end of the day I feel the best solution is to get both. Although, I may get the TWSBI first and then pick up the CH 92 at a later date.

And as much as I want a Vanishing Point, I think I'll have to wait until I am near a pen store that I could try one out first.

Also, could anyone explain to me why the Custom Heritage 92 is almost only $133 at Jetpens, but everywhere else it sells for $160 or even $220?

Also, could anyone explain to me why the Custom Heritage 92 is almost only $133 at Jetpens, but everywhere else it sells for $160 or even $220?

Don't know about Jetpens but if you're willing to buy direct from Japan you can save quite a bit in many cases. Shipping times can be long if you go with standard economy shipping.

http://shop.j-subculture.com/items/search?category=&keyword=Custom+Heritage+92

Don't know about Jetpens but if you're willing to buy direct from Japan you can save quite a bit in many cases. Shipping times can be long if you go with standard economy shipping.

http://shop.j-subculture.com/items/search?category=&keyword=Custom+Heritage+92

That's tempting just for the extra color options alone. Although 2-4 weeks is so loooong.

What's the policy for defective items when buying from a Japanese vendor?

Although I could get the 5-10 day shipping and it still be cheaper than the US stores AND I still get the pretty blue demonstrator.

That's tempting just for the extra color options alone. Although 2-4 weeks is so loooong.

What's the policy for defective items when buying from a Japanese vendor?

Good question - I've bought several pens direct and never had any issues - so I don't know. I would feel confidant buying a Pilot as their QC seems to be pretty high - but in the end you need to decide the level of risk where you feel comfortable.

Edited by TheRealMikeDr

I own 5 TWSBI fountain pens and have never had ANY type of problem with any of them. And due to their reasonable prices, I do not hesitate to carry one around. 4 of my TWSBIs are minis, and I keep one of them in my travelers notebook, so it goes everywhere with me. I would highly recommend a TWSBI for an EDC.

That's pretty much the reason why I might go with TWSBI for now. I think I'd rather get the new pen and a couple of inks and then save up again for the CH 92 at a later time.

It was either that or flip a coin.

I love my Metropolitan and so I definitely want to upgrade to a nicer Pilot as soon as possible, but I also don't want to skip out on the quality sub $100 pens either.