• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mehandiratta

• mpkandan

• Jamerelbe

• Ayami_109

fpn_1488696007__red_cherry_1.jpg

Thanks a lot Sir. I'm so happy that you enjoy our pens.

Thanks for the pictures.

Regards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

Form submitted.

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

Has anyone posted a picture of the pen in their hand? That would give me a better idea of the relative size of this pen. Everyone says it's really big, so I'm curious.

Mine arrived today. The same pen as is pictured in the first post of this thread. And it looks as good in the flesh as it does in that shot. Although described as rose, the colour is a beautiful coppery-red and black. It looks wonderful. And the pen is large - perfect for me. The only downside is that it wouldn't write, so I flushed it with water and a touch of soap. In fact, I immediately succumbed to a replacement of the nib with one of my favourite Knox OB's. I'm just about to fill it with Diamine Terracotta....... All in all, very pleased indeed. :)

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

Ugh, the pictures are making it very difficult to be patient. I've got 2 coming my way, and I've been like a third grader who knows a package is coming but not when, so he runs home after school each day and opens the mailbox before even catching my breath, full of hope and anticipation.

Amazon Prime has spoiled me, but the longer wait makes it way more exciting.

"Never be a spectator to unfairness or stupidity" (Christopher Hitchens)

An exciting day because my Model 5 arrived!

post-100019-0-27218100-1489145296_thumb.jpg

As usual with Ranga, it was shipped in a pen box wrapped in newspaper and stitched into an external cloth bag.

The box is quite fancy and the inside was packed with goodies. There's the Ranga Model 5, an eyedropper and a complimentary Oliver brand pen in the Exam model. For the photo i removed the bubble wrap the pens were packed with.

Oh and if you look at the left side of the box interior you will notice something curious; two hooks! I suppose it's to keep the pen centered in the box.

post-100019-0-74747200-1489143703_thumb.jpg

Now for the pen itself. I ordered the pen as a cartridge/converter model with a fine nib. Nonetheless the pen can be used as an eyedropper fill, and the threads were pre-greased with silicone to reflect this.(One thing though, just make sure to rinse out the interior of the pen because there will be ebonite powder from production)

The pen is excellently crafted. It's hand turned on a lathe but the quality is comparable to a CNC lathe.

The material is the premium (meaning imported) ebonite in the green/blue/orange swirl. The orange and blue is most dominant in my pen, possibly because of its large diameter. The green only emerges in the grip section. I prefer the pattern of the grip section, but with ebonite you never know the end pattern until the pen is turned!

post-100019-0-39155000-1489145002_thumb.jpg

I knew this pen would be huge when I ordered it, but i was still surprised at its size. It wouldn't be an overstatement to describe it as a small baton. The grip section of the Model 5 pen is equivalent to the body diameter of some pens. It's actually why i chose this pen; i prefer thick grip sections and this pen is wonderful to hold.

post-100019-0-08788000-1489145023_thumb.jpg

Here's a comparison of the Model 5 with the Model 8. See the big difference?!

post-100019-0-71277000-1489145601_thumb.jpg

And another comparison photo with my other pens. You can see the Model 5 is definitely a desk pen.

Finally here's the complimentary Oliver Exam pen. It's a piston filler. Really cool! Thanks Mr Kandan! Very generous.

post-100019-0-10802100-1489145182_thumb.jpg

I definitely look forward to future group buys!

Great colors. Enjoy!

The Oliver Exam is a really nice inexpensive piston filler. I've passed out dozens to my students and they all wrote perfectly for them. They hold up really well and the fact that it's a demonstrator makes it a very nice teaching tool, as well. If you don't use it and are looking for someone to pass it along to, I'd suggest someone curious about your pens, or try to hook a new user... you won't be sorry!

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

@Ayami_109, I'm intrigued by the different colouring of the ebonite, depending on lighting etc. It looks like you've gone for the same premium ebonite (blue-green-orange) as me - which makes me all the more impatient for it to arrive! Thanks for sharing your photos...

@Ayami_109, I'm intrigued by the different colouring of the ebonite, depending on lighting etc. It looks like you've gone for the same premium ebonite (blue-green-orange) as me - which makes me all the more impatient for it to arrive! Thanks for sharing your photos...

Yes, the flash made the colours brighter. Like waaaay brighter. In reality the orange is more terracotta, and the blue is actually navy-ish. The group photo down the bottom best depicts the actual colour.

I'd be interested to see your pen too, especially with all the pattern variations in ebonite.

Edit: great to see another fellow Aussie!

Edited by Ayami_109

Hello to all

I received my three pens today, thank you Mr Kandan and Mr Mehandiratta

They are lovely pens and write beautifully. Here is a photo with a Twsbi Eco for comparison.

Clive-Andrew

post-119038-0-96262400-1489321965_thumb.jpg

Edited by Clive-Andrew

Mine arrived yesterday, and many thanks, Mr Kandan, you've done a fantastic job! And the craftsman who made it has perfectly aligned the pattern on the cap and barrel.

Haven't inked it yet as am waiting for a new ink to arrive, but very pleased with the look of it. Perhaps, though, as a previous poster said, a yellow colour nib would suit the warmth of the colours more, but I'm happy with the silver look against the cooler green of the section.

post-23341-0-86893000-1489321854_thumb.jpg

post-23341-0-36387800-1489321891_thumb.jpg

Edited by bbs

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

Mine arrived yesterday, and many thanks, Mr Kandan, you've done a fantastic job! Haven't inked it yet as am waiting for a new ink to arrive, but very pleased with the look of it. Perhaps, though, as a previous poster said, a yellow colour nib would suit the warmth of the colours more, but I'm happy with the silver look against the cooler green of the section.

Hello, i chose a Jowo nib it is two tone gold.

Clive-Andrew

Hello, i chose a Jowo nib it is two tone gold.

Clive-Andrew

Very nice! I really do like this ebonite. Roll on the next group buy!

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

Hello to all

I received my three pens today, thank you Mr Kandan and Mr Mehandiratta

They are lovely pens and write beautifully. Here is a photo with a Twsbi Eco for comparison.

Clive-Andrew

Thanks a lot Sir for your admiring words and pictures.

Regards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

Mine arrived yesterday, and many thanks, Mr Kandan, you've done a fantastic job! And the craftsman who made it has perfectly aligned the pattern on the cap and barrel.

Haven't inked it yet as am waiting for a new ink to arrive, but very pleased with the look of it. Perhaps, though, as a previous poster said, a yellow colour nib would suit the warmth of the colours more, but I'm happy with the silver look against the cooler green of the section.

Your pen is beautiful! I ordered the same colour as yours but mine turned out completely different. I like how your pen actually has the green showing on the body, which was the look i was after.

Your pen is beautiful! I ordered the same colour as yours but mine turned out completely different. I like how your pen actually has the green showing on the body, which was the look i was after.

I got lucky - sorry to hear yours is not quite what you wanted. I found that with my first group buy pen, when the colour was not at all what I was expecting, but after using it it grew on me, and now I really like it. That's the lottery of ebonite (and a lot of swirly coloured pens, such as Viscontis, when you're buying at a distance), as you said. Yours does have very beautiful swirls on it and I hope you come to appreciate its unique colours.

Edited by bbs

Ayami could you please show us the colour of yours? Sorry the colour is not exactly what you were expecting for .

Thank you in advance.

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/100x75q90/631/uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

I got lucky - sorry to hear yours is not quite what you wanted. I found that with my first group buy pen, when the colour was not at all what I was expecting, but after using it it grew on me, and now I really like it. That's the lottery of ebonite (and a lot of swirly coloured pens, such as Viscontis, when you're buying at a distance), as you said. Yours does have very beautiful swirls on it and I hope you come to appreciate its unique colours.

Thanks for the kind words. I do like my pen, it's just different from what I expected. I guess it's quite unique actually; what are the chances if a 3 colour ebonite featuring only 2 colours? It was a surprise when I opened the box.

I'd definitely order this material again for future group buys. It seems that out of all the ebonite Ranga offers, this material has potential to exhibit the most pattern variation.

Ayami could you please show us the colour of yours? Sorry the colour is not exactly what you were expecting for .

Thank you in advance.

Scroll up to post #108. I did a long post with many pictures. The pictures where the pen looks darker best represent how it looks: muted orange and navy blue. The camera flash made the colours appear brighter in the other pictures Edited by Ayami_109