Conway Stewart 524 Dinkie 'rainbow'?

andykelli

Hi,

I'm moving this query from another forum in the hope of finding answers more quickly. I have, what I'm told is, a Conway Stewart 524 Dinkie in 'Rainbow' colours from the 1920's made in casein. However, I can't find any mention of this in any on-line resource - and there are some good ones out there! I post a picture of the pen/pencil set in the hope of getting a proper identification. The engraved markings are a bit too worn to see clearly. Is this genuine or have I been mislead?

Many thanks in advance.post-134345-0-99754200-1485654586.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Freddy

• phaus

• andykelli

• mallymal1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This "rainbow" patterned material was called Harlequin, I'm 100% certain of this. The only pens I've seen that used it were Conway Stewart. Unfortunately, I only know a little about them so I'm not sure which model it is, or if the pen is made of casein. I was under the impression this was a celluloid, but like I said I'm no CS expert.

Here's a 542:

http://vintagefountainpens.co.uk/product/conway-stewart-dinkie-no542-fountain-pen-in-the-rare-pheasant-finish/

Your pen looks quite a bit different. As far as I can tell, there wasn't a 524, but there was a 526.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/09/e6/ea/09e6ea6289e09b21a645fc42976efb72.jpg

There was also a 540:

http://www.gopens.com/images/Catalog64/Vintage-Pens-c64k.jpg

Both of those look somewhat like your pen, but its hard to tell for sure.

Edited by phaus

Hello Andy. I posted my observation at you first post about half an hour ago.

And Welcome Aboard!

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/318105-conway-stewart-524/?p=3776949

Fred

Redactin' After reviewing your photograph. I will say 'tis a 526 in

Harlequin..Picture from Johnathan Donahaye

http://jonathandonahaye.conwaystewart.info/csbook/cs946.htm

Edited by Freddy

Thank you so much for all of your feedback, all very useful. I believe Fred has nailed it with identifying it as a 526 in 'Harlequin'. I'll now go back to Jonathan Donahaye's site and do some further reading. I think I was tripped-up by the gold coloured band at the top of the cap being missing on my example!

Thank you all again, this is very much appreciated :-)

There is a danger of grabbing at the first solution and immediately hailing a success.

Conway Stewart were not the only manufacturer to make little pens in this design. The Curzon "Joy" and the BCP "Rosemary" were certainly similar, and probably a Burnham also. "No clearly readable markings" you say, so why leap at the CS solution?

Steve Hull's Conway Stewart book will also provide a more recent information source than the book of numbers, and I believe Andy (take a look over at FPB) is currently preparing a book specifically on the Dinkie.

You may well be correct about it being a CS528 or such like, but just be cautious about the source of your evidence.

Edited by northlodge

There is a danger of grabbing at the first solution and immediately hailing a success.

Conway Stewart were not the only manufacturer to make little pens in this design. The Curzon "Joy" and the BCP "Rosemary" were certainly similar, and probably a Burnham also. "No clearly readable markings" you say, so why leap at the CS solution?

Steve Hull's Conway Stewart book will also provide a more recent information source than the book of numbers, and I believe Andy (take a look over at *FPB) is currently preparing a book specifically on the Dinkie.

You may well be correct about it being a CS528 or such like, but just be cautious about the source of your evidence.

Have you been able to log in *FPB. It has been off the last couple of days for me.

Getting Error 500 when I try to log on.

Fred

You're correct. Burnham did have a Harlequin pen, however, the material looks slightly different to me.

http://www.dreweatts.com/media/dreweatts/inventory/4/5/6/456639-1.jpg

I think Freddy's right though. The top of andy's pen looks identical to the picture of the 526 he posted.

Anyone know of a full-size pen in this material? I would love to have one, but my hands are too big for pens shorter than 4.5".

Also, thanks for mentioning Curzon. I wasn't familiar with that manufacturer. Apparently they made pens in Coral Celluloid, which is one of my favorite materials. I'll have to keep an eye out now.

Edited by phaus

Have you been able to log in *FPB. It has been off the last couple of days for me.

Getting Error 500 when I try to log on.

Fred

Same here.

Hi All,

Apologies. I seem to have left some doubt as to whether this is actually a Conway Stewart pen. I can confirm that the nib is engraved with 'Conway Stewart' 14ct gold and the lever has CS on the roundel. There is also some worn text on the barrel but I can just about make out 'DINKIE'.

I'm pretty certain that we have it's origins correct. I'm considering the CS book which is available and glad to hear there's going to be a Dinkie specific volume soon.

Andy.