Sailor Kin-Mokusei (2016)

white_lotus

As vis' might say, Sailor is a company that needs no introduction, at least around these parts.

This ink is a member of the Jentle Four Seasons line of inks, these are ones that are fairly readily available in pens shops and online. Some explanation may be necessary regarding the Four Seasons series. Originally it was a set of eight inks, two each for representing each of the four seasons. So two for winter, two for spring, and so on. Every few years Sailor would swap out the existing lineup and bring in a new series. I don't know if this was a few years in between but it was certainly long enough for people to become attached to the ones that went away. You can imagine the sadness.

In spring 2016, Sailor released eight additional Four Seasons inks, ones that had been in the line before. Cheering! Unfortunately it seemed that they were destined for Japan-only. Why did Sailor torture their devoted (Western-based) fans so much? Some people wanted the new inks so bad they ordered them from Japan. At the DC Pen Show, Sailor reps announced the new inks were coming to the US. Yea! And since then Europe will receive them as well.

So this is the 2016 edition of Kin-mokusei. Many people that have Sailor Apricot say these two inks are the same. I can't vouch for that but it would sure be great.

This is a fairly bright orange ink. It's definitely brighter, and has more yellow, than KWZ Orange. I have a few other oranges waiting to be tried out and we'll see how they compare.

One word of caution, some Japanese websites list these inks as "limited edition". US retailers have not reported this as being the case, so my guess is these will be around for a while, but perhaps not forever.

This ink seemed a bit drier than most other Sailor inks. Not dry per se, but not as wet as one might expect. I suspect this was to preserve the color and shading. I didn't get the silver sheen, but many people say it is there. Not water resistant.

Pen: Pelikan M400 (F-14 kt)

Papers: MvL=Mohawk via Linen, TR=Tomoe River, Hij=Hammermill 28 lb inkjet, Rhodia=Rhodia 90g ivory.

Camera: iPhone 7

fpn_1485466894__img_4939.jpg

fpn_1485467603__img_4946.jpg

fpn_1485467660__img_4942.jpg

fpn_1485467688__img_4957.jpg

fpn_1485467718__img_4937.jpg

fpn_1485467742__img_4938.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Charles Skinner

• amberleadavis

• white_lotus

• Old_Inkyhand

It looks great! I can't wait to get a bottle. I hope it will become readily available worldwide rather sooner than later.

Great ink, great review - thanks, lotus. Nice and bright with the merest lean to yellow, exactly the color of oranges. It is a little slow-drying on better paper, slower than other Sailors. Surprised you're not seeing any sheen, though.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

• 1 year later...
Charles Skinner

At first, I thought I had made a mistake by buying this ink, but before long, it started "growing on me." I love it! --- It yells, "I AM A HIGH QUALITY INK!"

C. S.

• 4 months later...
Charles Skinner

I want to add ---- In my pens and on my paper, this ink is not really great when using broad, wet nibs. When using a medium nib, it is much more appealing. I really like it. C. S.

amberleadavis

I love your reviews and your amazing collection.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar

Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY