Waverly/upturned Nibs - Anyone Know Of Alternatives To Pilot Wa Or Vintage Sheaffer?

DavidtheGnome

I've reviewed some old threads on waverly/upturned nib recommendations and most of the suggestions are either for the Pilot WA nibs on the Custom series of pens OR trying to find a vintage sheaffer.

Does anyone know of any new contemporary alternatives, especially in a #6 size nib (gold or steel)?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DavidtheGnome

• markh

• dcwaites

• Cryptos

If you check Richard Binders's web site, you will see that modern MontBlanc pens have a "waverly cut" - the nib isn't bent, but the tip is ground to get some of the same effect:

http://www.richardspens.com/?page=ref/ttp/waverley.htm

After reading this, I examined ones I had (I have a few..) Sure enough, he's right - something I'd never noticed.

I recently purchased my first Noodlers Neponset. I would describe the tip to be ground the same way, though I think the Neponset nib is a little odd, and I think I will swap mine out.

Finally, I have had both Indy Pen Dance and Mike Masuyama custom grind and bend a nib to be a Waverly shape - I like both nibs quite a lot. They are somewhere between XF and XXF, but I find the Waverly shape makes them more usable than they would be with a regular bend.

Edited by markh

"Bad spelling, like bad grammar, is an offense against society."

- - Good Form Letter Writing, by Arthur Wentworth Eaton, B.A. (Harvard);  © 1890

On the other hand, there are a *lot* of Triumph-nibbed Snorkels and also Sheaffer Imperials that exhibit the upturn sweep, and quite available. One of the hallmarks of the Sheaffer conical nib is that they are like tanks, and the majority have held up quite well. I may have just talked myself out of custom ordering a Pilot 823 with WA nib because I pulled out one of my Snorkels and inked it up again, and it is a hands-down miraculous writer! (Crappy phone pic below) I've already got a great pen, with only a lesser ink supply than the 823.

I know you are probably trying to just find something easily available right now, but even if you spent a tiny bit more by purchasing from a person who has restored the pen, you can find some killer "Waverly-style" nibs in the Sheaffers from the 1950-60s.

http://i.imgur.com/fjQoNhWl.jpg

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

On the other hand, there are a *lot* of Triumph-nibbed Snorkels and also Sheaffer Imperials that exhibit the upturn sweep, and quite available. One of the hallmarks of the Sheaffer conical nib is that they are like tanks, and the majority have held up quite well. I may have just talked myself out of custom ordering a Pilot 823 with WA nib because I pulled out one of my Snorkels and inked it up again, and it is a hands-down miraculous writer! (Crappy phone pic below) I've already got a great pen, with only a lesser ink supply than the 823.

I know you are probably trying to just find something easily available right now, but even if you spent a tiny bit more by purchasing from a person who has restored the pen, you can find some killer "Waverly-style" nibs in the Sheaffers from the 1950-60s.

Yeah but...

You need to look at the individual pen to see if the nib is "waverly-ied". Some 30s-40s Balance pens are, some aren't. I don't understand the pattern of which have are, and I've asked people who know more about Sheaffer's than I do and they don't know either. So you need to look.

More of the Triumph conical nibs that I've seen seem to be like this. Imperials, PFMs, and Targas all have some of the same qualities, but not as nice writers as the older pens (my opinion only)

The Sheaffer waverly style nibs that I have are all really nice writers. If you like a fine or xfine nib, they really make a difference.

But if that's what you are looking for, you will need to eyeball the nib before you buy, or purchase from someone who knows what you are looking for.

- - Good Form Letter Writing, by Arthur Wentworth Eaton, B.A. (Harvard);  © 1890

I can't think of any. All three of my Triumph nibs have the upturn.

I think nibsmith can apply a Waverly bend to the nib if you want to send a nib out, but I don't see why some other nibmeisters wouldn't be able to apply a Waverly upturn to a nib.

Inked: Aurora Optima EF (Pelikan Tanzanite); Franklin Christoph Pocket 20 Needlepoint (Sailor Kiwa Guro); Sheaffers PFM I Reporter/Fine (Diamine Oxblood); Franklin Christoph 02 Medium Stub (Aurora Black); Platinum Plaisir Gunmetal EF (Platinum Brown); Platinum Preppy M (Platinum Blue-Black). Leaded: Palomino Blackwing 602; Lamy Scribble 0.7 (Pentel Ain Stein 2B); Uni Kuru Toga Roulette 0.5 (Uni Kuru Toga HB); Parker 51 Plum 0.9 (Pilot Neox HB)

FPNibs.com offer a waverly grind on their Jowo nibs I think. If you have a pen that takes such things it may be worth the small cost of it.

Thanks for the tip- I just ordered a #6 Jowo with a WA nib, they have very reasonable extra charges for the WA grind! I don't mind waiting to get the value shipping to US.

Also thanks all for the info on Sheaffer models that are more likely to have upturned nibs.

Does the Visconti Millennium Arc with the wrap around nib count?

It certainly appears to perform differently, the Pen Habit had a favorable review. Bummer about the metal section, haven't found a pen with a metal section that I like so far.

FYI, I have found that late 30s Sheaffer nibs, such as found on the open nib Crest have the most pronounced "Waverly" aspect to them even more so than the 50s and 60s pens. These "Waverly-esque" open nibs are glorious and amongst my favorites. I have one OS balance that has this and one open nib Crest and both are great.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

I have a Waterman ringtop with an upturned nib: It's a nice writer but I had assumed it was user-inflicted damage. Perhaps I'm wrong. Does anyone else have an Ideal nib with the upturn?

• 2 weeks later...

There is a good discussion on the Cameron and MacNiven Waverley nib here

I have a small tin box of several of them, and the design works quite well as a dip pen nib, providing a softness and smoothness of writing that is unusual for a dip nib.

I am not too sure about its usefulness as a fountain pen nib as any decently adjusted and smoothed nib should write smoothly anyway, and over a range of angles both vertically and sideways.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

I am not too sure about its usefulness as a fountain pen nib as any decently adjusted and smoothed nib should write smoothly anyway, and over a range of angles both vertically and sideways.

I have 2 XXF nibs, both "waverlied" by someone who know what they were doing (not that I think it;s hard to do - I plan on doing my own). One by Indy-pen Dance, one by Mike Masuyama, I think that for these nibs, they are smoother and more enjoyable to write with than their "normal" equivalents, which I also have.

Very fine nibs can be a struggle - these improve my handwriting.

For broader nibs it might not make the same difference, as I have no experience.

I have 2 XXF nibs, both "waverlied" by someone who know what they were doing (not that I think it;s hard to do - I plan on doing my own). One by Indy-pen Dance, one by Mike Masuyama, I think that for these nibs, they are smoother and more enjoyable to write with than their "normal" equivalents, which I also have.

Very fine nibs can be a struggle - these improve my handwriting.

For broader nibs it might not make the same difference, as I have no experience.

The company I ordered from, fpnibs.com, only does a waverly modification on their XF and F nib options, so yes it would appear the benefit is primarily only for the finer nib pens. It is a big improvement for me over a stock Jowo F nib, and the only thing different is the waverly mod.