Duofold Senior Replacement Cap

jcreilley

Hello,

I have a Duofold Senior in red permanite, double banded, that has a cap lip that is so severely cracked that it's lost four, soon to be five, chunks from its lip, just below the first band. I keep on regluing them, but it's ugly and not at all permanent. I sought some professional help to get the chunks and cracks sealed, but was told that the costs far outweigh the pen value, and the best course for me is to get a new cap. I'd like to avoid buying a whole other Duofold just to get at its cap. If anybody has a spare cap for a red senior in permanite they would be willing to sell me, or direct me towards a group or individual that could do that, I would be eternally grateful! After saving up for two years to get my dream pen, this whole experience is quite heartbreaking!

Thank you,

jcreilley

Here's some pics of the cap so you can see the horror for yourself.

post-127087-0-91063700-1485312205_thumb.jpg

post-127087-0-83778200-1485312214_thumb.jpg

post-127087-0-23180700-1485312223_thumb.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitto

• jcreilley

• FarmBoy

• watch_art

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

THe LA pen show is coming up soon, and later on the San Fran pen show. You should be able to dig through parts boxes and find a few caps that would fit your pen. Just take your pen with you so you can test the fit.

I agree, the best bet is to test your barrel on some caps in someone's parts bin or a cap from a junker pen. You don't need a clip which is were most of the value is. I'd guess a cap core would be 20-30 without a clip. Color match will be the hard part.

Rich Lott comes to mind as someone that would have a bunch of caps to test. I might have a few but I don't travel with parts bins to shows.

Todd

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I agree, the best bet is to test your barrel on some caps in someone's parts bin or a cap from a junker pen. You don't need a clip which is were most of the value is. I'd guess a cap core would be 20-30 without a clip. Color match will be the hard part.

Rich Lott comes to mind as someone that would have a bunch of caps to test. I might have a few but I don't travel with parts bins to shows.

Todd

FarmBoy, I have a flat top SPECIAL in red permanite whose cap lips have literally crumbled intto pieces. Could you guide me where to source a cap for my pen?

Khan M. Ilyas

FarmBoy, I have a flat top SPECIAL in red permanite whose cap lips have literally crumbled intto pieces. Could you guide me where to source a cap for my pen?

For the unknowing... Mitto asks about a 'Special' Duofold. This pen is the same length as a Senior but is the diameter of a Junior found with both single and double cap bands. Not a common pen and often not marked Special. I would need to confirm by digging out my examples but I believe the Junior cap and the Special cap are the same with some additional notes. I have only seen Yellow specials with a single band and blue specials with a double band though my sample size is quite small in both cases.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

For the unknowing... Mitto asks about a 'Special' Duofold. This pen is the same length as a Senior but is the diameter of a Junior found with both single and double cap bands. Not a common pen and often not marked Special. I would need to confirm by digging out my examples but I believe the Junior cap and the Special cap are the same with some additional notes. I have only seen Yellow specials with a single band and blue specials with a double band though my sample size is quite small in both cases.

It is a double cap band and with the SPECIAL marking and lucky curve banner. And it is red (or orange or whatever the color is called).

Khan M. Ilyas

Thanks for the help, I was already planning on attending the LA pen show, my first pen show in fact! I'll take a look around there, and on the off chance I don't find anything there, I'll come back here and renew the cries for help I suppose!

Thanks for the help, I was already planning on attending the LA pen show, my first pen show in fact! I'll take a look around there, and on the off chance I don't find anything there, I'll come back here and renew the cries for help I suppose!

Lucky you! We dont have any pen shows in this part of the world.

Khan M. Ilyas

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I went to the pen show, and there were no caps for a Senior Duofold sadly. At this point I'd like to renew my cry for help for a replacement outer cap for a permanite non-streamline Senior Duofold. Anybody who has a spare and is willing to part with it, let me know.

Thank you all in advance,

Jcreilley

Well, I went to the pen show, and there were no caps for a Senior Duofold sadly. At this point I'd like to renew my cry for help for a replacement outer cap for a permanite non-streamline Senior Duofold. Anybody who has a spare and is willing to part with it, let me know.

Thank you all in advance,

Jcreilley

Double band plastic Sr Duofold Flat top cap. You only need the sleeve correct?

I'll look.

Todd

I'll look.

Todd

Yes, sleeve only. I have a perfectly good inner cap/clip screw and clip. Double, single, I'm happy with anything that is at least whole and fits. It's a user pen, and it's been so long with this cap now that the last thing I'll be is a 'choosy beggar'.

I'll look.

Todd

Todd, what about my Special cap? I too want just the sleeve. Lol.

Khan M. Ilyas

• 2 weeks later...

As an update, I've asked around at a few online restoration sites if they had any replacements lying around. No dice so far. Are there any suggestions for a good site or group to ask?