Help Identifying A Small Metal Pilot Pencil

stuck-in-time

Hi, I got this pencil some time ago, and until now still haven't been able to identify it...

P1017632.jpg

At first I thought this was a Pilot Birdie, but I can't find another Birdie that looks like this online, and it does have several major differences from the typical Birdie. The most obvious being the size and grip rings.

I don't actually have a Birdie, but from the pics I've seen, this seems to be thicker and longer too, but still smaller than the usual pencil, as seen compared to a TK-Matic.

It has an all metal construction, including the lead reservoir. I don't know about the chucks though, because the front end cap seems to be non-removable, is this the case with Birdies too? The lead sleeve is very short and is fixed.

P1017633.jpg

These machined grip rings are something I've never seen on Birdie, and so is the clip, which is very solid and seems to be made out of 3 separate pieces, and of a more heavily brushed stainless steel.

P1017634.jpgP1017636.jpg

They are supposed to be new, but somehow I think they seem to look kinda old?

Any info would be much appreciated :), since the seller said that he has lost the packaging. Though he did say they come in one of those multi packs, so no separate box for each pencil. There are no markings whatsoever on the pencil other than "Pilot 0.5 Japan"

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stuck-in-time

• MYU

• shea2812

Something tells me that the pilot makes a decent writer/doodler. I have something similar that was made my Zebra.

Interesting. Where did you buy it? I love that clip... it's very different from typical PILOT mechanical pencil clips, and believe me I've seen plenty. The clip is very reminiscent of a LAMY. Pencil has a very small size as well.

Btw, slightly off topic, I bought a really nice Pilot twist double-knock mechanical pencil and it came with another metal mechanical pencil that is very small. I thought it was a no-name, until I used a loupe and spotted "Sailor" in the black plastic tail end. This thing is a midget! I'll have to post photos when I get back home later this month.

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Something tells me that the pilot makes a decent writer/doodler. I have something similar that was made my Zebra.

Well, it is quite heavy for its size, and the balance is closer to the middle than most drafting pencils. But I personally prefer thicker pencils. The thin knurling is perfect for me though. I like how it's like barely there but doing its job :)

Oh! and upon closer inspection, the knurling is actually a tight spiral, as opposed to a series of separate rings.

Edited by stuck-in-time

Interesting. Where did you buy it? I love that clip... it's very different from typical PILOT mechanical pencil clips, and believe me I've seen plenty. The clip is very reminiscent of a LAMY. Pencil has a very small size as well.

Btw, slightly off topic, I bought a really nice Pilot twist double-knock mechanical pencil and it came with another metal mechanical pencil that is very small. I thought it was a no-name, until I used a loupe and spotted "Sailor" in the black plastic tail end. This thing is a midget! I'll have to post photos when I get back home later this month.

I got it from a small local stationery seller online for about the equivalent of 6 USD. The seller is just a normal stationery store, so I wouldn't expect to find vintage stuff there?

Yes, the brushed stainless steel clip does remind me of the Lamy 2000's clip.

Japan do seem to be the center for tiny pencils, every major brand have their own line of tiny ones. Pilot has the the Birdie (and this?), Sailor has yours, and Zebra has their TS-3. I have a pencil & pen set of one of these TS-3s and they really are small... And that's why I bought them, it's just very interesting to see how small they could get. Writing with one of these is torture for my hands.

Update on my particular pencil:

I managed to get the tip off, but it is permanently bonded to the chuck ring, I didn't get it fully off. The chucks are indeed brass, but the lead reservoir turns out to be clear plastic, and its build quality isn't that good. I'm curious, how does this compare to your vintage stainless steel pilot pencils?

P1017706.jpg

P1017707.jpg

Edited by stuck-in-time

• 1 month later...

I got it from a small local stationery seller online for about the equivalent of 6 USD. The seller is just a normal stationery store, so I wouldn't expect to find vintage stuff there?

Yes, the brushed stainless steel clip does remind me of the Lamy 2000's clip.

Japan do seem to be the center for tiny pencils, every major brand have their own line of tiny ones. Pilot has the the Birdie (and this?), Sailor has yours, and Zebra has their TS-3. I have a pencil & pen set of one of these TS-3s and they really are small... And that's why I bought them, it's just very interesting to see how small they could get. Writing with one of these is torture for my hands.

Update on my particular pencil:

I managed to get the tip off, but it is permanently bonded to the chuck ring, I didn't get it fully off. The chucks are indeed brass, but the lead reservoir turns out to be clear plastic, and its build quality isn't that good. I'm curious, how does this compare to your vintage stainless steel pilot pencils?

P1017706.jpg

P1017707.jpg

Sorry for my late reply. My mini Sailor MP (0.5mm) looks to be of similar construction with the clear tube, yet smaller with length at 4.25". But yours is a little more robust. The metal end tip screws onto a black plastic threaded part just behind the clutch, whereas the end tip on yours screws into the metal barrel.

Edited by MYU

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Yeah... I find it a bit odd that the metal tip cannot be unscrewed from the clutch. But actually it screws to a black plastic bit glued to the metal barrel.