Frosting Of Arashiyama - Kyo-Iro

visvamitra

To be honest I don't know much about the company. Some time ago Algester posted topic about Tag Kyoto branch inks. The bottles and colors presented on their site looked nice so I've decided to try some of these inks. I've managed to buy two on Rakuten and I'll review them. The inks are made by or for Takeda Jimuki company and are available in two lines: Kyo No Oto and Kyo-Iro. Kyo no Oto inks are said to be traditional japanese colors that has been used since heian era (roughly 1000 years ago),and expressing a tinges that have been nurtured in long history and profound culture for long time.

Kyonooto inks are:

1. Aonibi
  2. Azukiiro (new ink)
  3. Imayouiro
  4. Kokeiro
  5. Nurebairo
  6. Yamabukiiro

Kyo-iro inks are:

1. Cherry Blossom of Keage
  2. Flaming Red of Fushimi
  3. Frosting of Arashiyama (new ink)
  4. Moonlight of Higashiyama
  5. Soft Snow of Ohara
  6. Stone Road of Gion

fpn_1485072418__kzoiro_botle.jpg

As soon as I discovered that two new inks were produced I ordered them. Sadly the package went missing. When I lost hope that I would ever receive it, it appeared suddenly and from nowhere after almost three months of delay. Crazy.

Anyway as some of you may know I've become huge fan of these two line opf inks. The colors aren't generic. We've seen most of them elsewhere but they offer some unexpected twist I enjoy a lot. I even like their black ink - Nurebairo (it's one of three black inks I have at home, the other two being Octopus Schwarz and J. Herbin Perle Noire). I was really curious about new colors. I hope that some of you were interested in them as well because there'll be plenty of photos.

Frosting of Arashiyama can be described as rusty orange, although a lot depends on the pen you use (check writing samples on Rhodia). Arashiyama (Storm Mountain) is a district on the western outskirts of Kyoto, Japan.

fpn_1485072543__frosting_of_anasiyama_is

In wet pens this ink is a joy to use, in drier ones it doesn't feel prarticularly thrilling :) Drying time is reasonable and I haven't observed any feathering or bleedthrough. In dry Platinum Plaisir 0.5 mm nib the line is dry and lacks lubrication, in Kaweco Sport turned to eyedropper it becomes wet orange-brown ink that flows smoothly and looks very nice.

It has no water resistance.

Drops of ink on kitchen towel

fpn_1485072990__frosting_of_anasiyama_rk

Software ID

fpn_1485073008__frosting_of_anasiyama_l_

Color range

fpn_1485073021__frosting_of_anasiyama_l_

Tomoe River, Kaweco Classic Sport, broad nib

fpn_1485073040__frosting_of_anasiyama_t_

fpn_1485073060__frosting_of_anasiyama_t_

fpn_1485073077__frosting_of_anasiyama_t_

Leuchtturm 1917, Kaweco Classic Sport, B

fpn_1485073116__frosting_of_anasiyama_l_

fpn_1485073136__frosting_of_anasiyama_l_

fpn_1485073145__frosting_of_anasiyama_l_

Rhodia, Kaweco Classic Sport broad nib and Platinum Plaisir 0.5 mm nib.

fpn_1485073197__frosting_of_anasiyama_rh

fpn_1485073217__frosting_of_anasiyama_rh

fpn_1485073233__frosting_of_anasiyama_rh

CIAK, Kaweco Classic Sport broad nib + Platinum Plaisir 0.5 mm

fpn_1485073276__frosting_of_anasiyama_ci

fpn_1485073291__frosting_of_anasiyama_ci

fpn_1485073308__frosting_of_anasiyama_ci

Edited by visvamitra

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• visvamitra

• white_lotus

• lgsoltek

• gylyf

Not a color for me. But thanks for the review.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Very interesting orange. If I was more into that color I'd look into getting some. Vanness is not listing either of the new colors, and I couldn't find this one at the ink makers site in Japan.

Very interesting orange. If I was more into that color I'd look into getting some. Vanness is not listing either of the new colors, and I couldn't find this one at the ink makers site in Japan.

I think Van Ness has it listed as Arashiyama Morning.

Oh, thanks! I didn't notice that. I see then they don't have two of the Kyo-no-oto inks.

These names have been VERY confusing to me; I ordered the first ones from Amazon & after reading reviews here of newly introduced colors, followed the link & made my first purchase from Rakuten. BUT the names there were even different from the names used by the reviewers of the ink. I am sure one of them was the ink Visvamitra recently reviewed, that he commented on it's color being so different than pictured on the box of the ink; that combined with the confusion of the names, makes it necessary to carefully shop.

I did just check Rakuten & Vanness's listings against my bottle of this ink & they all include the numbers "06," so I feel pretty sure they are all the same inks.

(At the risk of lightening bolts sent in my direction I will say this ink reminds me of KWZI's "Monarch," the ink exclusive to Fontoplumo; I was happy to have purchased the ink but if anyone is on the fence about it & has Monarch, they might want to look @ them both before ordering.)

I would very much like to see a comparison between this ink and the KWZI Monarch. I don't want to order the latter if it's too close to this one.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Great review. Thank you.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Well, my bottle of KWZ Monarch looks more like a rich custard or deep ochre out of a Pelikan fine, nothing like vis'. Don't know if that is a batch variation or what.

• 3 years later...