Just Got A Jinhao 301 - Experiences?

dipperdolphin

Just got the Jinhao 301 because of the way it looks sort of like a Parker 51. Here is a link.

Any experiences with it? :)

Thank in advance!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OakIris

• oneill

• dipperdolphin

• ParkerDuofold

I don't have a Jinhao 301, or the Baoer pen that the link in your post leads us to, so can't talk about experience with either of them, but it might help others that do have experience if you specified which pen you actually want to know about. :)

Is it a Jinhao or a Baeor? The two pens are not at all similar, other than both being of Chinese manufacture.

The main thing is, of course, whether or not YOU like it! Please let us know what you think of your new pen. And, congratulations; it is always fun to have a new fountain pen!

Holly

Edited by OakIris

Just got the Jinhao 301 because of the way it looks sort of like a Parker 51. Here is a link.

Any experiences with it? :)

Thank in advance!

Hello GL,

The Boaer pen in your link looks more like a Duofold than a 51; not sure if you got your pens or your links mixed up. :D. Like Holly above; I have no experience with the 301, but frankly, Hero, Jinhao and Picasso pens are all pretty much the same candy, just in different wrappers. :)

At any rate, the biggest problem I've experienced with Chinese pens is that most of them are on the dry side, but if you check out "making a pen wetter" on YouTube; you'll find some videos that'll help you out. :)

Congrats, looks like a nice pen.

Edited by ParkerDuofold

If referring to the pen in the link, I can only comment on other Baoer pens that I have. They all write very well, seem well made and have given me no trouble at all.

Most Jinhao pens are also in the same boat, inexpensive, but seem to work quite well after an initial flush and getting an ink they like. After looking up the Jinhao 301 - I don't think I would like it. It looks way too thin. I lean toward beefier pens for my larger hands - also prefer medium/broad/stub nibs. One thing about a large number of Jinhao pens is that they use a standard "#6" nib, so I tend to replace the nib that comes with mine and put on a Goulet(Jowo) medium/broad/1.1/1.5 stub nib.

I like the looks of the Baoer in the link better than that of the Jinhao 301, too, as well as thinking the 301 is a bit too slim for my tastes. I am hoping the Baoer is actually the one the OP purchased, lol, but, no, it doesn't look much like a Parker 51- but then, neither does the Jinhao 301. It's a mystery as to what pen Giacomo is actually referring to. (Maybe he really means the Hero 616 - very much a Parker 51 clone, to most eyes. :P )

It is good to know that the Goulet nibs fit most Jinhao pens, gryphon1911. I have some Jinhaos on order; I don't think they all have #6 nibs but it is nice to have the option of installing a better nib if the one on the pen can't be adjusted/smoothed to work properly.

Holly

I've owned a couple of the Baoer horse pens you've linked to, and found them very pleasant to write with. The grip section is a slightly ribbed plastic that looks and feels a little cheap, but the nib on mine were smooth Mediums with moderate ink flow.

I don't have a Jinhao 301, or the Baoer pen that the link in your post leads us to, so can't talk about experience with either of them, but it might help others that do have experience if you specified which pen you actually want to know about. :)

Is it a Jinhao or a Baeor? The two pens are not at all similar, other than both being of Chinese manufacture.

The main thing is, of course, whether or not YOU like it! Please let us know what you think of your new pen. And, congratulations; it is always fun to have a new fountain pen!

Holly

Both of these pens are manufactured by the same company

Both of these pens are manufactured by the same company

I wasn't aware of that. The start of a pen monopoly! ;) Thank you for that info, oneill.

Holly

There are two types of pen called the Jinhao 301.

One has what is commonly called a Cayman nib, a very fine, semi-hooded nib. The section is usually relatively heavy and quite narrow compared to many other pens.

This type of pen is suitable for people with small hands who write quite small.

The other has a standard design of nib.

Which one are you asking about?

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

I wasn't aware of that. The start of a pen monopoly! ;) Thank you for that info, oneill.

Holly

The pleasure was all mine. I know because I used to edit the pages when they were badly written, they are not so bad these days.

The pleasure was all mine. I know because I used to edit the pages when they were badly written, they are not so bad these days.

A bit more about these fabulous pens is that at one time they used to have a video showing the pens being manufactured and whole brackets of the nibs being tested before sale. I always have in stock about 30 or more of these reliable pens as gifts and I am not ashamed to say that many of the people I have given them to always make great comments about their performance, I always tell people to Flush out the pen using a mix of Warm water with a dab of ammonia and another dab of Dish washing solution as they tend to retain the fluid used during manufacture. After that you should have one of the best everyday writers on the market, and the cost, Did I say cost !!!!!!!. Trust Me oneill

There are two types of pen called the Jinhao 301.

One has what is commonly called a Cayman nib, a very fine, semi-hooded nib. The section is usually relatively heavy and quite narrow compared to many other pens.

This type of pen is suitable for people with small hands who write quite small.

The other has a standard design of nib.

Which one are you asking about?

I have never heard of a a semi-hooded nib called a Cayman nib. :blush: Where did that terminology come from? Unable to find any Jinhao 301's except for the version with the exposed nib, but I imagine the one with a Cayman nib that you mentioned must be the one the OP was talking about since he said it reminded him of a Parker 51. Do you have a link to one of those pens?

Hmm., Giocomo hasn't been back since posting his question on the 21st; we may never know what pen he really has and for which he wants information.

Holly

• 2 months later...

A

Hello GL,

The Boaer pen in your link looks more like a Duofold than a 51; not sure if you got your pens or your links mixed up. :D. Like Holly above; I have no experience with the 301, but frankly, Hero, Jinhao and Picasso pens are all pretty much the same candy, just in different wrappers. :)

At any rate, the biggest problem I've experienced with Chinese pens is that most of them are on the dry side, but if you check out "making a pen wetter" on YouTube; you'll find some videos that'll help you out. :)

Congrats, looks like a nice pen.

Apologies, posted the wrong link!

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, enjoying using it a lot!