Graphite - Diamine

visvamitra

Manufacturers since 1864, Diamine Inks relocated to this purpose built 'state of the art' factory in Liverpool in 1925, where they successfully carried on using the traditional methods and formulas for ink production. Over the years the company has changed hands and are now located close to the world famous Aintree Race Course

http://www.diamineinks.co.uk/images/DimaineFactory.gif

http://www.diaminein...uk/AboutUs.aspx

fpn_1484857710__graphite_bottle.jpg

I'm still looking for perfect grey ink. Caran d'Ache Infinite Grey is close, the hue is stunning but the ink is average in terms of behavior. Diamine Graphite is definitely less expensive and it has this slate hue that I enjoy a lot in grey inks.

The behavior is good, the ink flows smoothly and leaves reasonably wet line. In one pen (Pelikan M805) it caused hard start after doing a pause of 30 seconds. In other pens however it writes really well.

I think it's undesrvedly underrated Diamine ink. I really enjoy this one although I still believe one of these days I'll discover perfect grey ink :)

fpn_1484857258__graphite_diamine_is.jpg

Drops of ink on kitchen towel

fpn_1484857269__graphite_diamine_rk.jpg

Software ID

fpn_1484857292__graphite_l_3.jpg

Color range

fpn_1484857325__graphite_l_4.jpg

Tomoe River - Kaweco Classic Sport, broad nib

fpn_1484857348__graphite_t_1.jpg

fpn_1484857365__graphite_t_2.jpg

fpn_1484857408__graphite_t_3.jpg

Tomoe River, Pelikan M805, fine nib

fpn_1484857432__graphite_tomoe_pelikanm8

fpn_1484857454__graphite_tomoe_pelikanm8

Leuchtturm 1917 - Kaweco AL Sport, broad nib

fpn_1484857481__graphite_l_1.jpg

fpn_1484857506__graphite_l_2.jpg

fpn_1484857530__graphite_l_5.jpg

Linen paper, Kaweco Classic Sport, broad nib

fpn_1484857551__graphite_linen.jpg

Copy paper, Lamy Al-Star, broad nib

fpn_1484857570__graphite_cp_1.jpg

fpn_1484857598__graphite_cp_2.jpg

No-name notebook, Lamy Al-Star, medium nib

Edited by visvamitra

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• visvamitra

• Detman101

• Tom Kellie

• silverlifter

Graphite is one of my favorite inks. Like Diamine Denim, it's just an all-round great ink. Enough water resistance for me for almost everything, and a pleasure to use.

I'm convinced there is no perfect grey. I search and search and search and search...they are never right. Too blue, too green, too dark, too light, etc.

Oh well, nice review as always.

It's not perfect but still up top in my big list of greys. Maybe just because it is a darn good replica of a piece o' plain ol' pencil lead (or, yeah, graphite).... Julia, wait a day or 80 until I get down to my comparison.

Mike :D

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

I love graphite and its green undertones, and another favorite is Diamine grey, which I find to be a truer grey with no other color undertones. For me, they each work well in different pens, and for different moods.

This is one of the more interesting grey inks I've seen. It would be interesting to compare it to the Robert Oster Graphite.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

One of my favourites. Much like others have said, the green undertones really make it. I think it pairs wonderfully with Diamine Salamander, one of my other favourite inks.

Platinum 3776 - F, Pilot Decimo - F, TWSBI Vac Mini - 1.1i

• 2 years later...

I used this ink once on a pre-calculus assignment, for the lulz. I even did some fake-out pencil lines that I erased to make it look more authentic.

My professor could not tell that it wasn't a pencil, and didn't believe me when I confessed my crime after getting the assignment returned. Until I handed him my Sakura wipe-out-everything-pencil eraser and told him to have at it.

Fortunately, he had a sense of humor, and had me order him a bottle to use as a practical joke against the other math professors in his department.

I created a monster.

I'm convinced there is no perfect grey. I search and search and search and search...they are never right. Too blue, too green, too dark, too light, etc.

Oh well, nice review as always.

No perfect grey? I'd argue that Diamine Silver Fox and Lamy Agate are strong candidates, with Diamine Grey following at a close distance. As for Graphite, it's a great ink, only rather dark for my taste. Diluting it with some water works quite well, btw. The same applies to Earl Grey - another Diamine ink. I guess that company is doing well in terms of supplying us with good ink.

Great review, this is another one of this inks which I like the more I see, in spite of already enjoying R&K Verdigris, Hisoku, Aonibi and Vert Empire.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent. thumbup.gif I am all for expanding the grey family.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

A shade or two darker and it would be perfect for me. I have given up on finding a grey ink that looks like a 4B pencil.

Great review, thank you!

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

• 5 months later...

~ What a great review!

Diamine Graphite has become a staple of my writing desk.

The look is ideal for my needs.

Another bottle needs to be ordered!

Tom K.

• 4 years later...

Beautiful. Ordering a sample tonight.
I already have "J.Herbin - Vert Atlantide", but it isn't dark enough...thereby, it sits unused.

I feel like this "Graphite" is more where I wanted to start...dark, with a little green on special moments.

At this phase in my journey, I don't want "Bright" colors...but I also don't want pure black.

Dark Grey with undertones are what I'm feeling.

"J.Herbin - Cacao Du Bresil"
"R&K - Sepia"

and soon...
"Diamine - Graphite"

🤠👍

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg