Engraving In Chinese Characters

geekyjock

Hi! Some engraving concerns here:
My wife gave me a MB classique Platinum fountain pen as her wedding gift to me. She bought it at a MontBlanc Boutique here in Manila. And I'm planning to have it engraved with my Chinese name on it, sadly the MB here in the Philippines can't engrave in CHinese characters.

We'll be heading to Taiwan for a few days at the end of Jan. and I was wondering if I could also avail the free engraving of my MontBlanc Pen in Taiwan with my name in Chinese Characters even though it was purchased in the Philippines? And oh, do they really engrave it for free? Thanks and happy doodling to you all.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• meiers

• geekyjock

• gerigo

• fly_us

Engraving a pen is a sin, engraving a Montblanc is an even bigger sin.

Its like buying a brand new Mercedes and scratching your name on it, blasphemy.

Leave the poor pen alone, don't harm it, just let it stay clean and classic as it is!

Respect to all

Leave the poor pen alone, don't harm it, just let it stay clean and classic as it is!

:)

I admire your fervour and passion. Personally I wouldn't dream of having my name inscribed on a pen. A love note definitely.

Each to their own, i side with the OP as it was a wedding gift and obviously something very personal.

I have half a dozen Montblanc's engraved with my name, hope you don't loose any sleep tonight!

+1111111111

OP - do what you want to your pen. It's a bit of plastic. You are not drawing a mustache on the Mona Lisa.

I would contact MB customer service for directions. What you want should be feasible and if you bought from an authorized dealer it should be within their power to make it happen.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

It is your pen, do whatever you want.

I would send an email to MB and MB in Taiwan to see if they can do it in advance instead just walk in and ask.

I have not heard of engraving in Mandarin, but it does not mean it does not exist. Perhaps Goodguy is reacting to the fact engraving seem so pedestrian for such an important life moment. Perhaps you'd want to get your name written in maki-e style and then coated with urushi? That would be beautiful and quite unique.

OP - do what you want to your pen. It's a bit of plastic. You are not drawing a mustache on the Mona Lisa.

I would contact MB customer service for directions. What you want should be feasible and if you bought from an authorized dealer it should be within their power to make it happen.

Yes

The Montblanc distributor in Taiwan do offer Chinese engraving (traditional characters) if you purchased it from local boutiques. At least the last time I checked at the Taipei 101 store that was the case.

Though I didn't ask about whether they render the same service for Montblanc pen bought elsewhere, my gut feeling would say that even if they do offer the service, it's most likely gonna cost you some $$$.

Having a MB engraved is up to your personal preference and since it's owned and used only by you, as long as you like it can already. Both my wife's 164 Classique 90-years anniversary ballpoint and my 161 Le Grand platinum ballpoint are both engraved with our own names and the year we got married.

So go ahead and engrave it to your liking. By the way if MB Philippines doesn't engrave in Chinese characters, ask them if they could send it to another MB agent who does, even if it's overseas.

Lamy 2000 FP, PP, BP, MFP & RB. Mont Blanc Meisterstück 161 Le Grand Platinum BP & Heritage 1912 FP.

I don't understand the negative comments against having your pen engraved. Some of us do indeed buy these pens to use them rather than collect or invest, if that's even possible with an item such as a pen.

In any case: non latin characters are best engraved using a laser. There are a couple of these shops all around the planet and most them use the same equipment (Trotec, etc.). Since most Montblancs are plastic (sorry "Resin"), it won't be too much of a hassle finding a shop.

For Chinese characters, either find a shop in Taiwan or China or at least someone who speaks the language. Do note that Taiwan and China use different characters: Traditional in Taiwan and Simplified in China.

Last time I had something engraved, I had it done in Japan (Kyoto) in Traditional Chinese (as they use these characters, too).

You could, however, ask Montblanc to engrave a signature (I believe this is a "new" service offering in most countries) and then write something in Chinese with your own handwriting. These things are scanned and then engraved using a laser - might be an option.

If the OP (or anyone else) gets/has a pen engraved with Chinese/Japanese characters I would really like to see a picture of it. Something I am interested in having done myself.

Engraving a pen to remember a special date or event is something very personal.I think this pen will be cherished for a long time and you will have memories linked to it.My best wishes in your marriage.

• 1 month later...

Came back from Taiwan,

Didn't realize how many response you guys posted. Thank you all, but When I went to MB in Taiwan they mentioned that they don't engrave in Chinese. Even on Chinese or any other countries, they can and will only engrave using Alphabets.

Came back from Taiwan,

Didn't realize how many response you guys posted. Thank you all, but When I went to MB in Taiwan they mentioned that they don't engrave in Chinese. Even on Chinese or any other countries, they can and will only engrave using Alphabets.

~ That's also the case where I work and live.

Thank you, geekyjock, for following up with this information.

A Russian colleague purchased a 146 in Moscow, where he was informed that the Cyrillic alphabet was unavailable for engraving.

Tom K.

You're welcome :) But actually there are great engraving artists in Taiwan, I think it's one of the few eastern countries like Japan that continuously hones their traditional artistry and pass it on to their next generation of craftsmen. So if you prefer Chinese engravings on your pen, I think Taiwan is the place where you can entrust your pen to third party engraving services.

Next time when I go back to Taiwan, I'll bring my MB to make my personalized imprint on it.

~ That's also the case where I work and live.

Thank you, geekyjock, for following up with this information.

A Russian colleague purchased a 146 in Moscow, where he was informed that the Cyrillic alphabet was unavailable for engraving.

Tom K.

Yes! It's absolutely not a sin to personalize a pen - on the contrary it's your pen and not a holy grail!

Axel

Montblanc collector since 1968. Former owner of the Montblanc Boutique Bremen, retired 2007 and sold it.
Collecting Montblanc safeties, eyedroppers, lever fillers, button fillers, compressors - all from 1908 - 1929,
Montblanc ephemera and paraphernalia from 1908 to 1929,
Montblanc Meisterstück from 1924 up to the 50s,
Montblanc special and limited editions from 1991 to 2006