Robert Oster Astorquiza Rot

julia239

I tried this ink in both my 3776 Century Bourgogne - B and my TWSBI 580 B Tomahawk stub - (ArtsNibs) - Very different on same paper in these two pens. The 580 is much wetter.....

Dry time with the 3776 is about 10 seconds. With the 580 it isn't dry at 45 seconds!!

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af283/Runnin_Ute/Mobile%20Uploads/2017-02/20170224_233821_zps4krxkp8k.jpg

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• julia239

• JonSzanto

• lapis

• HalloweenHJB

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I tried this ink in both my 3776 Century Bourgogne - B and my TWSBI 580 B Tomahawk stub - (ArtsNibs) - Very different on same paper in these two pens. The 580 is much wetter.....

Dry time with the 3776 is about 10 seconds. With the 580 it isn't dry at 45 seconds!!

Nice! I'm jealous that it dried so quickly in your 3776; the dry time is the only drawback to this ink. I haven't used it in a particularly wet pet yet, but I'll have to give it a try.

I like the look of the 3776; I've never used one, but now it might be in the running for my next pen purchase.

Funny story... while filling a pen, I happen to spill a few drops on my desk (office)... I quickly wiped the drops with a kleenex... Dude, it look sooo much like blood, people kept asking me if I hurt myself. :lticaptd:

I filled a pen at my office with Noodlers Red Black. The paper towels I used to wipe the section looked so alarmingly morbid that I wrapped them in clean paper before tossing into the trash bin. Out of courtesy for the cleaning personnel, I didn't want the them to have to wonder what, exactly, they were cleaning up! ;)

Thanks so much for reviewing this excellent Robert Oster red ink...my current favorite red and in my top three all time favorite inks. I find it very well behaved and beautifully saturated. Currently using it in my Chartres Blue Platinum 3776 with a Course nib...awesome!!

Here is a comparison between Black Swan in English Roses and Astorquiza Rot. For the swatches, I did a single pass and then a second pass over half of the first one.

The RO is much redder, and the BSER seems to have an orangish tending undertone to the red in the brown (I'm not sure if that makes sense to anyone other than me). Probably a better way to say it is that the RO has more of a blue-red base with strong brown accents while the BSER has a brown base with an orange-red accent. Seeing them side by side, the RO is definitely red and not brown, so doing the comparison made up my mind on that score at least. :)

attachicon.gifRO Astorquiza Rot-2.jpg

Thank you for the comparison

"When I have a little money, I buy books pens; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."

--- Erasmus --- sort of http://fpgeeks.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.png

• 2 weeks later...

Wonderful review, thank you. However it's not my kind of colour. For me it's more brown than red. Sorry Cyber6 (after whom this ink is named).

Curious. I looked up "Astorquiza" on Google, and couldn't find a reasonable connection to the ink.

Curious. I looked up "Astorquiza" on Google, and couldn't find a reasonable connection to the ink.

I think the connection is that her name is Claudia Astorquiza. Although I didn't buy my bottle from Goulet, their description gives the same info. If you go to the "Stockist" tab on the Robert Oster website, she is listed as the contact person for Canada. :)

Thanks for the update. A fierce Basque name! That was the connection I was looking for. The flag of the Basque Community in Spain has a deep, darker red as the main color —different from the brilliant red of the Canadian flag.

• 3 years later...

I've been playing with a sample of this for a few days. It reminds me of the color of black cherry juice. For me, it hasn't been as dry as some other RO inks, and overall I've been pleased with the color and its behavior.