Help Me Out Please!

Aditkamath26

Chad could I have a few pics of all the three pens? Thanks for your answer. The only thing that I scared of is whether I will receive the pen if I order from a Japanese seller on ebay.

No worries -- I will try to remember to snap a couple of pictures of the three pens together in the next day or two. Jar has given excellent advice (as always -- Jar is awesome, btw!) about using PayPal if you are buying something on eBay, and paying for EMS shipping with tracking. The expedited shipping makes an enormous difference, and having a tracking number will give you some peace of mind... well, it gives me peace of mind to know that something is on the way, anyhow.

For the 3776 and the Lamy 2000, do you have access to Amazon Prime? I ordered those particular pens from Amazon using Amazon Prime, and received each one within two business days and free shipping, at rates lower than MSRP in the U.S. It is a good option.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aditkamath26

• jar

• ILM

• ChadRiggsbee

No worries -- I will try to remember to snap a couple of pictures of the three pens together in the next day or two. Jar has given excellent advice (as always -- Jar is awesome, btw!) about using PayPal if you are buying something on eBay, and paying for EMS shipping with tracking. The expedited shipping makes an enormous difference, and having a tracking number will give you some peace of mind... well, it gives me peace of mind to know that something is on the way, anyhow.

For the 3776 and the Lamy 2000, do you have access to Amazon Prime? I ordered those particular pens from Amazon using Amazon Prime, and received each one within two business days and free shipping, at rates lower than MSRP in the U.S. It is a good option.

I do not have amazon prime. I am planning to order from Rakuten or Jsubculture. I think they have good shipping options.

I gave away my Lamy 2000 almost a decade ago but I do have the two #3776s so I can post pics of those if you wish.

If you use PayPal when you purchase you are pretty well protected should you not get what you ordered. However I strongly recommend that you request EMS Priority shipment with tracking. The regular ground shipping can take forever.

You have already posted the pics above so thanks for them. Does Rkuten or Jsubculture or Pisuke have EMS priority?

Adit- why should you not get your pen from a Japanese seller. They are reliable sellers, not the kind of desi scam artists we have in India. So, just go ahead and order the pen that you are looking for.

Desi scam artists....lol

How much does amazon charge for the prime? I know there is a free trial

So I was thinking if I take free trial and order the pen, that will be good enough and if I like it, I could take the membership. BTW I am also planning to be a kindle author. I have finisshed a book and am typing the next one. I am an author of 14 years.

I got a Platinum Balance some while back and it has represented its brand very well. I think I want to go for a 3776 in Burgogne in the future. It's an exquisite-looking pen. I just got a Pilot Lucina. You may consider a black, gold trim Custom 74 or black, silver trim Custom Heritage 91 on Amazon. Of all my pens I think I've found my niche in Japanese. That country knows how to build an excellent fountain pen.

...The history, culture and sophistication; the rich, aesthetic beauty; the indulgent, ritualistic sensations of unscrewing the cap and filling from a bottle of ink; the ambient scratch of the ink-stained nib on fine paper; A noble instrument, descendant from a line of ever-refined tools, and the luster of writing,
with a charge from over several millennia of continuing the art of recording man's life.

How much does amazon charge for the prime? I know there is a free trial

So I was thinking if I take free trial and order the pen, that will be good enough and if I like it, I could take the membership. BTW I am also planning to be a kindle author. I have finisshed a book and am typing the next one. I am an author of 14 years.

If it hasn't changed I believe it's about a $100 annual fee for Prime.

...The history, culture and sophistication; the rich, aesthetic beauty; the indulgent, ritualistic sensations of unscrewing the cap and filling from a bottle of ink; the ambient scratch of the ink-stained nib on fine paper; A noble instrument, descendant from a line of ever-refined tools, and the luster of writing,
with a charge from over several millennia of continuing the art of recording man's life.

In that price range, have you considered buying a used but properly serviced Parker '51', especially one with the nearly bulletproof aerometric filler?

Personally, unless you've handled the Lamy, I'd opt for a different pen. While the 200 is definitely a great bang for the buck pen, I've handled it many times and always disliked the grip and feel.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

I'd love to know where you're finding Lamy 2000s for 100 dollars. They're over £150 here in the UK, and over 200eu on ebay.de

Platinum 3776 - F, Pilot Decimo - F, TWSBI Vac Mini - 1.1i

FYI: There is a large like new rhodium/black Sailor with M/F nib for sale in the FPN classified for $125.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

I'd love to know where you're finding Lamy 2000s for 100 dollars. They're over £150 here in the UK, and over 200eu on ebay.de

I have to pump in an extra 25 or so from Amazon. I wouldn't get it for a hundred for sure. :)

FYI: There is a large like new rhodium/black Sailor with M/F nib for sale in the FPN classified for $125.

Thanks a lot Lloyd. I am not much into Sailors right now but I will check out this pen.

In that price range, have you considered buying a used but properly serviced Parker '51', especially one with the nearly bulletproof aerometric filler?

Personally, unless you've handled the Lamy, I'd opt for a different pen. While the 200 is definitely a great bang for the buck pen, I've handled it many times and always disliked the grip and feel.

You might find me strange but I am not much into vintage pens. I do not like their designs especially the Parker 51. I would love ebonite ripples with a flex nib.

I was "wondering about the Platinum 3776" myself a few weeks ago, after I had seen Amazon offering them for less than $80.00. Jar suggested the Chartres Blue & not having a clear preference for the Burgoyne, I took his advice. I was THRILLED by the pen & the difference between "in person & a mere picture" upon receipt. (I had given away a Sailor & also a Pilot 823 because I did not like their nibs; yet I am VERY happy with the 3776 , which is a MUCH less expensive pen than Pilot's 823.)

I also was interested in the Lamy 2000 & after more than 2 years increasing interest, purchased a new Steel one with a nib that I expected to enjoy; I have filled the pen twice, not used it for almost a year & doubt I will again, unless I send it away for a nib grind. It UNDERWHELMS me completely; I enjoy my Safari & Al Star, MUCH more than this more expensive pen. (I did NOT consider the Makrolan because it is a Black pen & I will not have one, if I can avoid it, perhaps the additional weight of the steel 200 adds to my dislike, but It would NOT compare to my recent experience & pleasure of the 3776.)

I have ordered from both "Cool Japan" & Rakuten & would have NO fear about receiving from either any order I placed; if you are NOT a Prime member of amazon, perhaps you could ask among friends, family or teachers if anyone is & would order the pen FOR you? I just looked @ the 3776 on Amazon & there a TON of dealers selling the 3776 for UNDER $70.00 with "FREE Shipping from Japan, I believe your order would be guaranteed if placed thru Amazon, if you did NOT receive it, even if it were shipped from Japan & not with Amazon's Prime.

I just wanted to extend MY vote for the Platinum, I took JAR's advice, chose the Chartres Blue & have been VERY happy.

I was "wondering about the Platinum 3776" myself a few weeks ago, after I had seen Amazon offering them for less than $80.00. Jar suggested the Chartres Blue & not having a clear preference for the Burgoyne, I took his advice. I was THRILLED by the pen & the difference between "in person & a mere picture" upon receipt. (I had given away a Sailor & also a Pilot 823 because I did not like their nibs; yet I am VERY happy with the 3776 , which is a MUCH less expensive pen than Pilot's 823.)

I also was interested in the Lamy 2000 & after more than 2 years increasing interest, purchased a new Steel one with a nib that I expected to enjoy; I have filled the pen twice, not used it for almost a year & doubt I will again, unless I send it away for a nib grind. It UNDERWHELMS me completely; I enjoy my Safari & Al Star, MUCH more than this more expensive pen. (I did NOT consider the Makrolan because it is a Black pen & I will not have one, if I can avoid it, perhaps the additional weight of the steel 200 adds to my dislike, but It would NOT compare to my recent experience & pleasure of the 3776.)

I have ordered from both "Cool Japan" & Rakuten & would have NO fear about receiving from either any order I placed; if you are NOT a Prime member of amazon, perhaps you could ask among friends, family or teachers if anyone is & would order the pen FOR you? I just looked @ the 3776 on Amazon & there a TON of dealers selling the 3776 for UNDER $70.00 with "FREE Shipping from Japan, I believe your order would be guaranteed if placed thru Amazon, if you did NOT receive it, even if it were shipped from Japan & not with Amazon's Prime.

I just wanted to extend MY vote for the Platinum, I took JAR's advice, chose the Chartres Blue & have been VERY happy.

Remember jar's advice was "Decide which one to buy FIRST."

My Website