Sheaffer Hooded Pen

KingRoach

Hi all, after my first post in the introductions, I would like to say this about myself: I thought I'll never like hooded pens.

This pen came in a joblot and never worked. for some reason, it's grown on me and I want it to work. Recently, I was pressing the nib and twisting it left and right (without any noticable movement in the nib or tines) but it suddenly worked, and wrote with a green-ish ink that I know very well I never put in there. The pen has been in my drawers for several years, and God knows how long before that.

It wrote a lot, and with a fine point that I now like very much (all of my pens are medium). Now that whatever ink that was in there has run out, it's not taking ink from the cartridge up the feed. The cartridge is what I had in a Sheaffer School/Cartridge pen. The feed feels like some sort of fibre or similar soft material.

I looked up and down for this model, its name, its qualities, disassembly, clean up advice, anything really, and have not found a single image online. Can anyone please tell me what this particular model is called? And from there, how to deep-clean it without breaking anything in it?

Your help is much appreciated, and I hope this helps someone else as well.

post-133987-0-72258300-1484235261_thumb.jpg

post-133987-0-93278600-1484235276_thumb.jpg

post-133987-0-61457500-1484235286_thumb.jpg

post-133987-0-93839000-1484235295_thumb.jpg

post-133987-0-98110800-1484235306_thumb.jpg

post-133987-0-02346200-1484235340_thumb.jpg

post-133987-0-06727900-1484235351_thumb.jpg

post-133987-0-54101000-1484235360_thumb.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KingRoach

• cattar

• mitto

• EBUCKTHORN

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

oh my god!! no body can recognise this pen?

if FPN cannot identify this pen, no one can!

please guys i want its name because i want to do a precise search for more details about it because i think it needs a deep clean.

it looks as if the feed is some sort of fibre, is what Im seeing correct?

The cap is sheaffer, but the pen probably came with a different cap originally.

The pen looks like a parker hooded nib or one of the many pens based on that design.

Ask the question either in the first stop forum or parker forum.

the cap is a perfect fit and it grabs onto the metal middle ring, which also fits perfectly in terms of width, depth, and a microscopical edge that prevents it from installing in the opposite direction. the cap completes the perfect tapering of the form.

the barrel actually says sheaffer on it, it is engraved and you can see hints of it in the second picture, it threads perfectly into the pen too.

the piercer of the pen is the same in width and apparently metallic surrounding to the one on the sheaffer cartridge pen, and it accepts the skrip cartridge, only inside of this piercer it looks like fibre instead of plastic feed. i can hardly see the piercer and feed because they are deep and i'm using a light, but around it it also looks like a sheaffer pattern

i cannot see where i can begin go disassemble this thing.

it is a different nib and a different feed and a different body\form, much narrower front than to house the same insides, and i wrote with them both and it feels different.

besides, supporting the same cartridge but being a different pen is kind of what im saying here. this implies this other sheaffer, which is not a cartridge\student pen, has a name and a disassembly method somewhere.

soak the section, feed and all, in water. change it daily, until it runs clear. could take days. probably a lot of old dried ink gumming up the feed.

in that process as we speak. done 2 days so far. are other solutions recommended? like nib cleaning solutions? or could that damage something else such as the fibrous feed?

the soaking cleans the nib and feed.

Edited.

For many pens, but not this pen's fiber feed...

if you want to speed up the process, you can buy koh-i-noor rapido eze. it's a tech product that will remove even india ink from feed and nib. it's reuseable. soak. rinse daily. if ink comes out, repeat.

cartridge connectors can be metal or plastic. the plastic ones can wear.

Edited by cattar

1965 Sheaffer cartridge pen. Dated by being after Textron purchase, but before Stylist was introduced. And as it uses the same feed system as the Glidewriter which was introduced in 1965 a second characteristic of the pen suggests the same date, so your pen likely was produced for one year, possibly for less than a year. For ideas on how to clean out the pen, look up the Glidewriter. Do not take it apart as the fibers likely will fall apart and it would be very difficult to put them back together. Do treat it like a celery stalk. Place it in water to flush out the ink by having the fibers wick up the water, then place in a downward position as if to write, and place a soft absorbent material below, but in contact with the nib to absorb the water/ ink mixture as if you were writing with it, but without doing the work of writing what would be very diluted ink. You might want to have a water filled cartridge or converter attached. I suggest using a diaper or sanitary pad as the soft absorbent material you rest the nib on. If you want to introduce ink, once flushed in this method let it dry. Then take a Sheaffer cartridge, or botton fill convertor full of ink and seat it. Then wait, a long time. How long, I don't know, the descriptions simply say a long time. I expect overnight would do the job.

Edited by Parker51

Fiber feed like pilot petit1.

Soak in water repeatedlty to clean that. Could take days & days. Change the water daily. Soak til water runs clear.

Edited by cattar

This topic might be helpful. I believe the pen i have has never been inked and that's why the feed is still white.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/314509-unusual-sheaffer-stylist-id/?do=findComment&comment=3720064

that is the very one! The feed on mine is black of course from ink, but as I put black ink in the back, it wrote with a greenish ink, and I could not for the life of me figure out whether it was the Quink being hardly smeard or whether it was old ink.

I couldn't tell because up until now it doe not seem like any ink from the back ever made it to the front. I dropped water in the back and kept it upright for a day, the water never went in. I dropped ink into the front hole under the feed, and THAT ink made it to the nib quick.

I see you haven't inked yours. I want a weird question answered: if you blow with your mouth into the section from the back where the cartridge goes, does any air come out of the front, or does it feel like it is air tight even when it is not inked?

what cartridge came with it? The one that fits from my Student/Cartridge pen 3rd iteration has a flat end and feels it touches the pen's barrel.

KingRoach Sorry for the delay. It feels blocked. I don't recall a cartridge coming with it. Maybe that's related to it being uninked. I just compared it with a similar Sheaffer with a conical Triumph nib. The point-to-end-of-section dimension is approximately the same but the hooded nib pen's barrel (and, therefore the pen itself) is about 3/8" longer. I then checked some other conical nib Stylists (I believe) and they're all of the longer length, same as the hooded nib pen. It's just the first one i grabbed for comparison that's shorter than all the others. No idea what the length difference signifies but that's getting away from the focus on the hooded nib model.

I thought so. I think this is a feature of fibre feeds as there is no way for the air to go anywhere. I don't suppose it can prove the pen being blocked. I was hoping that, IF you get any air out, then I can confirm mine is blocked with ink. But as they are both the same, then I still have to figure it out.

The pen has been being cleaned/flushed since I started this thread. First I used water baths, soak for a long time then drain (in upright position pointing downwards into a tissue). Like I said before, when the thing surprisingly wrote, it wrote with an interesting tint of green. I loved it, and wanted it. The cartridge up its rear end was filled with Parker Quink.

Now I've received my order of ink which included a Diamine Nib Cleaning Fluid. I suppose this is the same thing as koh-i-noor mentioned above. So I soaked it in that, and dropped a few drops on the back to let them run in, in the same flushing position above.

To my surprise, the ink that flushed out into the tissue was now a very vivid turquoise/cyan. O_o The fluid in the back still wouldn't get anywhere into the feed though. :(

It's hardly getting any ink out now. The feed is still black of course, that never changed (the fibre feed on a cheap knock off of the Pilot Petit 1 did go back to white when I washed it).

Now that I've used both water and a nib cleaning solution which did not seem to make a very visible difference... should I take the plunge and try inking it again (which would probably take forever again to clean up should any other ideas come up, for example, disassembly), or should I just wait for such ideas to pop out?

And if that doesn't work, should I just give up? :( I don't want to give up. :(

The wick is probably very like the petit1.

So the questions will be-

is the ink in the middle of the wick fluid so fresh ink can pass thru?

what inks will flow through the wick?

It's possible the ink you tried won't flow thru. Some inks won't flow thru the petit1.

Might save some time to search the forum for inks for petit1.

Great suggestion, cattar.

I was reaching a similar conclusion due to the following findings:

Remember the ink that I said I found inside the pen, the greenish black which after using the Diamine cleaning solution came out vivid Turquoise?

I was just playing with my Diamine Turquoise and Parker black Quink, and a certain mixture of these two gave me exactly the tone I was after!!! Now that is good news for two reasons: first, I found a mix I like as a colour. but more importantly:

When the wick barely gave anything out (after my last comment basically), I dipped the tip of the nib in my inks for testing and LO, the Diamine inks were taken very well by the nib, but the Quink was NOT. It could be that this pen does not like the Quink for some reason (wick or nib), which also means that there might have been very small traces of quink reaching through the wick, which, mixed with whatever turquoise that was left inside of the pen from eons ago, gave me that mystery tone.

I will feed it some Diamine inks (which I found to naturally flow MUCH more than Quink does, worryingly so), and see how it takes them.