The Esterbrook Forum Estie Loaner Program 2017 Onwards

OcalaFlGuy

The ones that i would be most interested in would be the

Black Transitional, 2442 Falcon nib

Green LJ 9048 extra flexible fine

Copper J 9048

or

Blue SJ/Gray J 2312 Italic

I run on Caffeine, Sarcasm and inappropriate thoughts.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• amberleadavis

• alc3261

• rev579

It doesn't look like the Estie Loaner Program garners much interest these days. ...

The TWSBI forum loaner program isn't getting much action either.

Haha, maybe there would be more interest with a Montblanc loaner program, or any pens over $100. With Esterbrooks hovering around the $30 price and shipping in one direction not less than 10% of the price to purchase, I can see why there isn't much interest.

For me, at least, being involved with this loaner program has been a way to connect with other fountain pen enthusiasts, sharing the simplicity and beauty of Esterbrooks, and giving back to the pen world. I agree, Pajaro, that things have been slow for quite a long time. Bruce was really the driving force behind this, providing both energy and enthusiasm, and without his constant hovering there hasn't been much action.

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

Bruce and Farmboy got me interested in the Esterbrooks, but then I retired and kind of ran out of gas. I might have given some of the pens away, but there are still a lot of them and I'll make another inventory of pens and nibs.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Is it still possible to participate in this program? I'm interested in trying out flexible mind/comfortable pens in general, as well as possible contribute a pen or two from my small collection

• 4 weeks later...

I'm curious about this program as well. I haven't tried Esterbrooks yet and would love to try one of the extra flexible or broad italics. Thanks in advance! If the program is still active, I'll send a PM according to the rules above.

• 4 months later...

I'm curious about this program as well. I haven't tried Esterbrooks yet and would love to try one of the extra flexible or broad italics. Thanks in advance! If the program is still active, I'll send a PM according to the rules above.

I have a 9128 extra flexible extra fine nib in a blue J series pen, a full size J. I would have to see if the pen still has a good sac, because I haven't used these pens in quite some time. Out of a number of pens some of them must still work. I don't often remember to check this thread out, as you can see. I am not in charge of it. I think it has drifted.

I think it must have appeared that you might just as well buy any Esterbrook stuff you want as opposed to paying about $4.00 for shipping of a loaner, most of the Esterbrook stuff being fairly inexpensive. The "flexible" nibs are no wet noodles, requiring deliberate effort to flex them. The italics, 2312 and 9312, and the Relief stubs in the 2314 and 9314 fine, medium and broad widths are all much more interesting, but some of these nibs will cost upwards of $35 (italics), or $15 for the Relief (oblique) stubs. Some sellers will charge much more. The more ordinary Esterbrooks are probably not worth borrowing, because even the shipping costs will be a large part of their cost, so you might just as well buy what you want. Of course, there is also that you get to inspect the pens you borrow, fill them and write with them to see if you like them. Trade offs.

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

• 1 month later...

For me, the advantage would be that maybe I could try four different nibs back to back, I am just not ready to try the loaner program since I have so many pens here that I need to work through first.

But, as examples, I own one pen that I received this week. It has a 1554 nib, and since I think that I prefer fine, that is a great place to start for me. That said, if I was able to try side by side pens with something flexible, fine, medium, etc. I think that now, ignoring insurance, it is over $7 to ship a couple of pens each way.

So, I have interest, and, if the participants were ready to disband or liquidate their stock, I would put in an immediate request,

You should have joined as the LA Pen show. I had five different nibs in identical pens with the same ink.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 3 weeks later...

If you send pens first class it's less than $7 each way, about $4.

I think that, if you wanted to explore Esterbrook, you could buy an LJ and a J, and then try nibs you think you might find interesting. Don't buy so many pens, and learn about the nibs. That information you could use in any make of pen.

• 5 months later...

I would love to try some different nibs, which might be easier and presumably safer to ship.

Currently, I have:

1550, 1551, 1555, 2556, 2668, 2968(fouled up), 9312, 9314-M(but possibly out of tune), 9461, 9550, and 9556

I am fond of the fine and extra fine nibs.

Also, I have each size, favoring the SJ least of all, but liking it nonetheless.

In the case of the Dollar Pen, it would be helpful to know if any correspond, size-wise, to the J-Series, and how.

It's how you treat the least of these...

Eἰς ἀνήρ οὐδεί ἀνήρ
"Don't become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You'll be changed from the inside out... Unlike the culture around you, always dragging you down to its level of immaturity, God brings the best out of you, develops well-formed maturity in you."(The Message) - Romans 12:2

I have some nibs I had offered for loan: 9314-F fine, 9314-B broad, 9284 broad stub, 9460 medium manifold, 9555 EF, 9128 flex EF, 9048 flex fine, 9668 M and 2312 medium italic. I have J, SJ, LJ, M2 and Safari pump filler pens. No Dollar pens, because I don't like them. PM me if interested in borrowing one or two. Willing to keep Bruce's idea alive.

• 2 weeks later...

Panjaro, what is a manifold nib and how is it different? (I'm sure this is a stupid question, but you are very knowledgeable about such things.)

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Panjaro, what is a manifold nib and how is it different? (I'm sure this is a stupid question, but you are very knowledgeable about such things.)

The manifold nibs, like the 9460 medium manifold, are nibs meant to take pressure needed to write through several copies -- to make the carbon paper or carbonless carry the impression through all the copies. The manifold nibs seem to be stronger. Long ago I bought several 9460 medium manifold nibs and I like them best of the Esterbrook mediums. They seem to write a bit finer, maybe the designers thought that the pressure of writing through two-part or three-part paper would spread the tines a bit, so there is that the manifold nibs seem a small bit drier than regular nibs.

I have some nibs I had offered for loan: 9314-F fine, 9314-B broad, 9284 broad stub, 9460 medium manifold, 9555 EF, 9128 flex EF, 9048 flex fine, 9668 M and 2312 medium italic. I have J, SJ, LJ, M2 and Safari pump filler pens. PM me if interested in borrowing one or two. Willing to keep Bruce's idea alive.

Some of these nibs are gone, I think I got talked out of them or something. If you borrow any of these, please return them so someone else gets a chance.

Thank you for the info!!

• 1 month later...

Member RedDingo of Brisbane, Australia has notified me via PM that he has a number of Esterbrooks available for loan in Australia. Here is the information he provided:

Hi David, I have a few Estie's that I'm happy to make available to the Estie Loaner program in Aus.

- Red J + 2668 (italic) (c.1948)
- Green J + 9550 (c.1948)
- Red SJ + 2551 (c.1948)
- Blue J + 9668 (c.1948)
- Black J #182 + 9668 (c.1940)
- Green J #182 + 2663 (c.1940)

We're starting a generic Loaner Program in Aus and I'll add a few of them in that box.
Cheers, Danny
This is good news for our friends in Oz and I would point out that the previous rules and guidelines apply (see posts above), for the protection of both lenders and borrowers.
Nice to see interest in these wonderful pens.
DAVID

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

• 5 months later...

I have watched this thread, and the last previous post is 24 Oct 2018. I think I am done lending. I haven't used the Esties in a few years and not sure what is left. I'll watch the thread from time to time while I am alive, but I am seventy. While postage is getting expensive, even for first class, this program has going for it that always or almost always the lenders got their stuff back, so anyone interested in lending be encouraged.

I understand. I'm thinking of closing the TWSBI loaner thread.

I have watched this thread, and the last previous post is 24 Oct 2018. I think I am done lending. I haven't used the Esties in a few years and not sure what is left. I'll watch the thread from time to time while I am alive, but I am seventy. While postage is getting expensive, even for first class, this program has going for it that always or almost always the lenders got their stuff back, so anyone interested in lending be encouraged.

I deeply appreciate being able to try a number of the nibs and it really helped me decide which direction to go with the nibs. In fact, these are the pens I have settled on and use exclusively.

Thank you.

It's how you treat the least of these...

Eἰς ἀνήρ οὐδεί ἀνήρ
"Don't become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You'll be changed from the inside out... Unlike the culture around you, always dragging you down to its level of immaturity, God brings the best out of you, develops well-formed maturity in you."(The Message) - Romans 12:2

• 2 months later...

I deeply appreciate being able to try a number of the nibs and it really helped me decide which direction to go with the nibs. In fact, these are the pens I have settled on and use exclusively.

Thank you.

Thanks for saying that. I am pleased that it helped.