The Esterbrook Forum Estie Loaner Program 2017 Onwards

OcalaFlGuy

Thanks for saying that. I am pleased that it helped.

Be doubly pleased by knowing Im still all in.

It's how you treat the least of these...

Eἰς ἀνήρ οὐδεί ἀνήρ
"Don't become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You'll be changed from the inside out... Unlike the culture around you, always dragging you down to its level of immaturity, God brings the best out of you, develops well-formed maturity in you."(The Message) - Romans 12:2

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• amberleadavis

• alc3261

• rev579

Am I missing something about the cost of these pens? I started to look at the Loaner program after a pen caught my eye online - it's an Estie at a little over $150. I think I am interested in the slim model in a fine or extra-fine nib... yet folks seem to be discussing pens at a much lower price point. Can anyone enlighten me? I only buy pens if I like how they write; if they're beautiful but don't suit my hand, I don't want them.

Thanks.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

Am I missing something about the cost of these pens? I started to look at the Loaner program after a pen caught my eye online - it's an Estie at a little over $150. I think I am interested in the slim model in a fine or extra-fine nib... yet folks seem to be discussing pens at a much lower price point. Can anyone enlighten me? I only buy pens if I like how they write; if they're beautiful but don't suit my hand, I don't want them.

Thanks.

I don't know what you were looking at for $150, because the common Esties, the J-series pens might go $30 or $40 mainly. Some of the M2 pens are probably less than that. It has been four or five years ago, but I bought two NOS M2 pens in the box for $18 each on ebay. I see the J-series pens cost a bit more today than when I bought mine for about $20 to $30, but $150 would have to be NOS with an uncommon nib or a greedy seller.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Thanks.

I don't know what you were looking at for $150, because the common Esties, the J-series pens might go $30 or $40 mainly. Some of the M2 pens are probably less than that. It has been four or five years ago, but I bought two NOS M2 pens in the box for $18 each on ebay. I see the J-series pens cost a bit more today than when I bought mine for about $20 to $30, but $150 would have to be NOS with an uncommon nib or a greedy seller.

That's a pretty hefty price tag, and one I would not have ever considered. Esties are great to work with and learn with. They are also appealing to the eye without the expense of so many other pens out there. Plus, the fact that you can change the nib as simply as you can makes it a great utilitarian FP for me. You ought to be able to find a nice one that needs either a nib or a sac for $20-$25 and one that is ready to roll for less than $35. Some nibs might be the cause for an expense pen, but in my experience I love the 9550's. The x550 series is Firm Extra Fine. They are fast and great for making and taking notes.

I'd love to see the $150 Estie. Feel free to PM me the link of that pen.

It's how you treat the least of these...

Eἰς ἀνήρ οὐδεί ἀνήρ
"Don't become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You'll be changed from the inside out... Unlike the culture around you, always dragging you down to its level of immaturity, God brings the best out of you, develops well-formed maturity in you."(The Message) - Romans 12:2

That's a pretty hefty price tag, and one I would not have ever considered. Esties are great to work with and learn with. They are also appealing to the eye without the expense of so many other pens out there. Plus, the fact that you can change the nib as simply as you can makes it a great utilitarian FP for me. You ought to be able to find a nice one that needs either a nib or a sac for $20-$25 and one that is ready to roll for less than $35. Some nibs might be the cause for an expense pen, but in my experience I love the 9550's. The x550 series is Firm Extra Fine. They are fast and great for making and taking notes.

I'd love to see the $150 Estie. Feel free to PM me the link of that pen.

So apparently I was looking at a new pen and the pens y'all are discussing are vintage. It makes sense to me that one would want to try one before bothering with nib swaps, bladder repairs, etc. Especially when one is trying to not accumulate things that will sit ignored and unused!

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

So apparently I was looking at a new pen and the pens y'all are discussing are vintage. It makes sense to me that one would want to try one before bothering with nib swaps, bladder repairs, etc. Especially when one is trying to not accumulate things that will sit ignored and unused!

Yeah, have plenty of that stuff.

$150 for one of the new Esterbrooks is plausible, I suppose. I have plenty of C/C pens already, and have never considered buying one of the newly manufactured Esties. When I read your post I assumed you meant one of the old pens. I should have realized.

I have known people who would never have considered buying a used pen. The advantages of the older Esties were the low cost generally and the variety of nibs you could get to explore their qualities, if you didn't have a lot of experience.

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

• 1 year later...

Yeah, have plenty of that stuff.

$150 for one of the new Esterbrooks is plausible, I suppose. I have plenty of C/C pens already, and have never considered buying one of the newly manufactured Esties. When I read your post I assumed you meant one of the old pens. I should have realized.

I have known people who would never have considered buying a used pen. The advantages of the older Esties were the low cost generally and the variety of nibs you could get to explore their qualities, if you didn't have a lot of experience.

I own a few J models, but I would never buy the new Esterbrooks. If I remember correctly, Esterbrook was seen as a budget fountain company that offered reliable, nice writing, and affordable pens back in the day.

• 2 weeks later...

I own a few J models, but I would never buy the new Esterbrooks. If I remember correctly, Esterbrook was seen as a budget fountain company that offered reliable, nice writing, and affordable pens back in the day.

The restored Esterbrooks continue to offer reliable, nice writing today, and the variety of nibs you might find is extensive. The Estie Loaner program was an attempt to let members see this. Ran out of juice.

The restored Esterbrooks continue to offer reliable, nice writing today, and the variety of nibs you might find is extensive. The Estie Loaner program was an attempt to let members see this. Ran out of juice.

Sorry to hear that. I have a few Esties that no longer see regular rotation (they pretty much only appear during baseball season). I'd be happy to loan one or two out (say an LJ and an SJ) or PIF them. DM me if you'd like to revive the Estie Loaner program.

Edited by Chouffleur

As I recall, the rising cost of postage, first class through USPS, made the program less attractive. The borrowers were expected to pay return shipping as well as enclose reimbursement for shipping to them. So, this was costing the borrowers about $9.00 to borrow the pen. At the time an Esterbrook might be had for about $18 on ebay. That's what I had paid for even some NOS Estie M2s back then. A lot of the J series pens I bought had cost under $20. I think some people might have thought they might as well just buy a pen. So, the realities of shipping caught up with us. At 72 I am not sure I have the energy to do this. Trips to the Post Office, etc. For a while this was a busy program, but it slid off the edge. Costs. If someone else wants to do it, fine with me. I would lend my pens.

• 1 year later...

I’m only sad that I’m late to the party. To see the generosity shown & expressed in this forum really uplifted my spirits. The world needs more of that.

• 4 months later...

I have poor eyesight and have sold off most of my Esterbrooks.  I expect most of my other pens will be sold fairly soon, so the ones I had posted are no longer available.

On 12/2/2022 at 12:59 PM, pajaro said:

I have poor eyesight and have sold off most of my Esterbrooks.  I expect most of my other pens will be sold fairly soon, so the ones I had posted are no longer available.

Thank you for loaning me an Estie back in the day. I was able to play with pens that I wouldn't have known about because of loaners. I think you loaned me one that had a Parker nib. I didn't know about Frankenpens until FPN.  Your generosity enabled me in this adventure and I thank you.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

On 12/2/2022 at 3:59 PM, pajaro said:

I got your note in the pen I got off eBay...I was like, "Hey, I know who that is!"  Nice pen...I may tag a few more.  I hear you on losing vision, and hearing.  My time approaches.

• 7 months later...

I have a nice little green J-series with a 2668 "general handwriting" nib. It's a great pen but I'd prefer a 1550 or 9450 nib.

Is anyone interested in a swap? 

• 1 month later...