Clutch Pencil Recommendations?

gammada

I'm thinking of buying a clutch pencil to do some art/ illustration work. Currently contemplating a Kaweco Sketch Up 5.6, and three Koh-I-Noor models 5228, 5201 for 2mm leads and a 5340 for 5.6 leads.

Anyone has any of these? How good are they? Any other recommendations?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gammada

• flatline

• Aquaria

• ac12

I don't have those, but I do have an older Bexley clutch pencil. Love it. I got a whole set on eBay a few months back.

In the 2mm range, my experience is with the Mistubishi Uni, and Cda Fixpencil, I liked the feel of the fixpencil in my hand a little more than the Uni, but like the smoothness of the Uni lead over the Cda lead.

Edited by JakobS

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

In 2mm, the Staedtler Mars Technico 780 is my favorite followed by the Sanford Tourquoise. I've got one clutch pencil in a larger lead size (5.6mm?), but it's just a novelty item for me to play with. I have no idea if it's actually any good.

--flatline

For my sketching I usually go for:

2mm range: the staedtler 788 - cheap light and resistant

3.8mm: pilot croquis

0.9mm: parker 51

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen. - Winston Churchill

Here are a few that are in use around home/work for me

1) CdA Ecridor 2mm has a nice weight to it, solid brass, clutch is well build. Will last,downside it is expensive. The Fix Pencil is aluminium , clutch 3 finger light weight. Both fit the Staedtler rotary sharper

2) Staedtler 780c - the standard bearer for 2mm pencils. - metal knurled section, plastic body. Has a built-in sharpener and of course uses the Staedtler rotary sharpener. Does not like being in an automobile year round - plastic breaks down :-(

3) Mitsubishi Uni - metal knurled section, plastic body - fits Staedtler rotary sharpener. Good all around EDC

4) Staedtler 925-25 - full metal body, well built. Does not use a clutch but a knock (similar to 0.5mm mechanical pencils). Does not fit Staedtler rotary sharpener.

I guess my hand is not as fussy.

I got several older ones off eBay; Turquoise, Eagle, etc. And they all seem fine to me.

Takes me back mechanical drawing classes in high school :)

My biggest challenge was finding an old electric eraser, then finding an eraser to fit it. Oh so much easier than my old way of using a block eraser.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Excellent recommendations, thank you! Seems like Steadler has the upper hand here!

My biggest challenge was finding an old electric eraser, then finding an eraser to fit it. Oh so much easier than my old way of using a block eraser.

Electric eraser? Never heard of those, mind sharing some pics?

For 5.6mm I use the Koh-I-Noor. I don't have the Kaweco to compare but I do like the 5340. There's not a lot of uses for such a big lead though, I would only use it for shading areas. Do note that it is slightly different from the Kaweco, the lead advances like a normal mechanical pencil rather than a clutch. Also if you think of getting it, make sure you buy a seperate lead sharpener, as the one on the back of the pencil is not very easy to use.

For 5.6mm I use the Koh-I-Noor. I don't have the Kaweco to compare but I do like the 5340. There's not a lot of uses for such a big lead though, I would only use it for shading areas. Do note that it is slightly different from the Kaweco, the lead advances like a normal mechanical pencil rather than a clutch. Also if you think of getting it, make sure you buy a seperate lead sharpener, as the one on the back of the pencil is not very easy to use.

Good yo know that! I will check sharpeners then. Thanks!

Wait, they make sharpeners for 5.6mm lead? I always thought everyone just used regular pencil sharpeners like what you use for colored pencils.

--flatline

Excellent recommendations, thank you! Seems like Steadler has the upper hand here!

Electric eraser? Never heard of those, mind sharing some pics?

Jetpens carries the Seed Sun Dolphin electric eraser for $22.50:

http://www.jetpens.com/Seed-Sun-Dolphin-3-Electric-Eraser/pd/14128

I find this to be one of the best, because it has two different types of eraser refills.

Blick carries three electric erasers, one from Derwent ($9.09), one from Helix ($10.59) and one from Sakura ($38.61).

http://www.dickblick.com/categories/erasers/electricerasers/details/

Not sure where you would find them in Italy, though. Google will definitely be able to tell you who might carry them, but it's a safe bet that a major art supply store would have them.

Still, if you want a look at them in advance, the links I give above have pics. Jetpens has the most comprehensive look at their electric eraser.

Edited by Aquaria

I'm a big fan of the Uni lead holder pencils, as they're called here.

The Pentel Multi-8 is ideal for college students like me, who need a variety of colors, but don't want to carry an entire set of pencils everywhere. One pencil case carries eight different colors. Good enough for my math and science classes. It worked like a charm for that idiotic econ class I had to take as well.

Edited by Aquaria

I'm a big fan of the Uni lead holder pencils, as they're called here.

The Pentel Multi-8 is ideal for college students like me, who need a variety of colors, but don't want to carry an entire set of pencils everywhere. One pencil case carries eight different colors. Good enough for my math and science classes. It worked like a charm for that idiotic econ class I had to take as well.

Thanks for sharing the links and the recommendation for the Pentel. Going to check that one, seems practical.