General Nib Questions

chromantic

Hi, everyone. I'm expecting my first Esterbrook this week, an SJ with a 1550 nib. I've been looking over the nib list at esterbrook.net and had some newbie questions.

> First off, how do the nib sizes compare with other brands/regions?

> I understand flex and rigid/manifold but what's the distinction between firm and relief?

> What's the difference between the lower and higher numbered ones? Materials, quality?

I use mostly fines, with some mediums thrown in. I see the 1550 is a Firm Extra Fine so I'm looking at maybe the 2442 Falcon stub or 2556 Firm Fine, or possibly a 5556 Firm Fine or 5668 Firm Medium; that's where I'm wondering about the difference between, say, the 2556 and the 5556. How broad would the 2442 stub line be compared to the fines and mediums I'm used to?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

edit: I found Richard Binder's nib list which contains helpful pictures with very basic descriptions of the various numerical series - Durachrome, Palladium, etc - that sheds a little light on that aspect for me; so it does seem the higher the number the better the quality, which makes sense. But is there any 'practical' difference between the various materials that will affect the writing experience?

The esterbrook.net list describes the 2442 as "firm smooth, popular with execs" while RB's list says "backhand writing". Huh?

I take it, also, that "fine writing" refers to line width and not, like the 1314, for "social use and manuscript".

Edited by chromantic

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chromantic

• JakobS

• pajaro

• ac12

If it's any help, I think the nibs are approximately what a modern #5 would be. I've done some experimenting, and have a Laban nib in an Esterbrook collar.

The only other information I can give is that the 2xxx nibs were more economical, as they were rolled tip nibs. They are known to wear quicker, but can be really nice nibs. I've also seen a few where the rolled tip wasn't aligned correctly. The 9xxx nibs have actual tipping, and are generally more durable, and write better. All this is dependent on what's been done with the nib over the past 60+ years. I've got a couple 2xxx nibs that are better than some of my 9xxx equivalents, but my 9xxx nibs are generally the better of the ones I have.

Thanks, gweimer, that's good to know. I only have 1 pen with a rolled nib and it's truly awful. I won't knowing buy another. I found more info on Mr. Bender's site that's answered most of my questions and I'm rethinking my nib choices.

Edited by chromantic

Additionally, the 5xxx and 7xxx series were made for Dip-less pens that did not need the same feed and function as the 1xxx, 2xxx, 3xxx, and 9xxx series do to work properly in most other Estie's. So I would avoid trying to use them in a J series pen as they won't work, or fit as you would expect!

The differences between a similarly numbered nib in a different series can definitely noticeable, but I would say they generally stay with what can be regarded as an extra fine, fine, medium, broad etc. As far as what brand/region they compare to, they are finer overall than modern western nibs, so an 9450 extra fine, provides a true extra fine line comparable to many modern Japanese pens etc. The 2/9556, and 2/9668 fine, and medium nibs respectively, would be great starter nibs. Most renew points are affordable so sampling a few is easier than many other brands vintage or modern, and its fun to see what nibs stand out amongst the choices.

Firm is simply a nib that wouldn't provide any give, they can come in a variety of thicknesses, the 9450 again is almost tank like in construction! But it can be compared to modern standard nibs in function.

The Falcon nib was a popular dip pen carried over to their fountain pen line, it would be a true fine stub in appearance, perhaps a little thicker if well used (not NOS) due to it's ability to wear faster than traditionally tipped nibs.

Relief is what Esterbrook labeled their nibs that were given a left footed oblique cut, and will provide a bit of line variation to the writing it produces. The best example of this is found on their nibs provided to their early Relief pens, one of the most common found being their 2-L, their bodies were produced by Conway Stewart from the 1930's to 1950's in England.

Edited by JakobS

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

The 2442 is some kind of fine stub. I have had a few of them, and never found a use for them. The reference to "backhand writing" refers to the alleged benefit to left handed over writers from the 2442. I am a left handed over writer, and I saw no value in it to me as a left handed writer. It is an OK fine nib.

The 9126 and 9048 are more interesting fines. "Extra Flexible" probably means compared to a railroad spike, because it takes an effort to flex these.

The 2312 and 9312 italics are interesting should you ever want real line variation. I find both to be like a medium cursive italic, line variation without the sharpness usually expected from an italic. These are the Esterbrook nibs that have given me the most enjoyment. Not common and not cheap.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Thanks for the info. I snagged a 3668 (gold-plated non-sunburst) on ebay, then went out to check the mail to discover the pen had arrived, two days early! It's a beauty, very nice condition; just trying it uninked on paper, the 1550 seems pretty smooth so I might not have needed the 3668 bit I know I'll be more satisfied with the thicker line.

I find the smoothest renew points are in the 3xxx line, all of mine have been sunburst varieties though. I currently have a 3968 that is a perfect broad in every way!

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

Given how little we write today vs. back in the 50s and prior, I would not worry about the wear factor on 1xxx vs. 2xxx vs. 9xxx.

In the past people would write for HOURS each day. For many of us, that would be 1 or 2 weeks of writing.

I have also run into 2xxx nibs that wrote every bit as smooth as a 9xxx nib, so don't write off the 1xxx and 2xxx nibs. But because of the flat spot on the nib, your grip angle has to match up to that flat spot to write smoothest.

Caution. Some/many of the Esterbrook nibs are NOT consistent in size. I have seen several M nib which were as narrow as the F nibs and similarly some F nibs which looked as wide as a M nib. And this is with a small sample of a few dozen nibs. So there is no guarantee that the nib size you order and get is truly representative of that nib size. You may get a narrow M, and incorrectly think that the Esterbrooks run narrow.

I get a laugh out of some of the descriptive uses of different nibs.

I think some of it was purely marketing.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

• 2 weeks later...

Like "extra flexible extra fine."

It's a nice extra fine. It's all relative, I suppose.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.