Week #2 / 8 Jan: Throw Of The Dice - 2017 Weekly Ink Project

lgsoltek

This is a fun 'game.' Thanks for coming up with it, Lgsoltek!

So this week, I actually did close my eyes, hover over the inks and grab...this one. R & K Alt Goldgrun, loaded in a Pelikan pen I haven't used in so long I had to look up what it's called.

I see the gods of randomness seem to like murky greens!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lgsoltek

• amberleadavis

• inkstainedruth

• LizB

Here's my random ink of the week:

In real life it's actually bluer than this picture shows - and the paper has a yellowish cast to it. I'm afraid I do not like it much, although the dip in Hero 232 does help, in my eyes. I may add it to my bottle of Random Blue ink (which I started some time ago and thus is also a truly random ink - the only condition for addition is that the ink be blue).

Hmm, the Hero one seems to be a darker version of JFK. I'm not fan of this kind of colour. But I know someone does. [pointing to Tas]

This gave me the excuse to finally make a list of all inks I have.

fpn_1483909678__drew179.jpg

Since I have some graph paper (Clairefontaine) I thought I might use these threads to experiment with some possible color knitting patterns.

Hmm, the Hero one seems to be a darker version of JFK. I'm not fan of this kind of colour. But I know someone does. [pointing to Tas]

Remember I dipped the pen with the JFK. But yes, it does seem very similar, so that it mostly made the JFK more intense. And to my mind, much better.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

I've just received a sample of this. It looks nice! There's some nice sheen in my splash too!

I've seen a small amount of sheen with Australian Sky on TR paper, but what is more interesting are the shading effects. With a broad enough nib, there is a distinct darker edge to the letters.

=====================================
Mario Mirabile
Melbourne, Australia

www.miralightimaging.com

=====================================

I see the gods of randomness seem to like murky greens!

Funny, right? And wasn't last week's red/yellow-dominant?

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I decided to start with using the pens that I can't recall what ink was loaded.

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2017_1_Ink/01-January/slides/2017-01-02_Ink_17.jpg

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2017_1_Ink/01-January/slides/2017-01-02_Ink_18.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I've seen a small amount of sheen with Australian Sky on TR paper, but what is more interesting are the shading effects. With a broad enough nib, there is a distinct darker edge to the letters.

I do believe that Robert Oster bought a container load of canned shading.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

I decided to start with using the pens that I can't recall what ink was loaded.http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2017_1_Ink/01-January/slides/2017-01-02_Ink_17.jpghttp://www.sheismylawyer.com/2017_1_Ink/01-January/slides/2017-01-02_Ink_18.jpg

That's indeed random, LOL. Maybe we can try guessing what that ink is.

Is it Moby Pic?

:thumbup:

I plan to use it on April 1st, it's 0-1 for now.

So... you picked an empty sample ?

Nope. Just shine a blacklight at your monitor.... ;)

Nope. Just shine a blacklight at your monitor.... ;)

Hmm. I suppose some of you may not have a blacklight.... :D So here's a photo using mine... Written by the EF nib of my new Karas Kustoms Fountain K Mini:

post-131827-0-49131600-1483966713_thumb.jpg

The gods of randomness aren't always kind, so it seems!

Yeah, I hope there's no random choice again or with my luck the next time I'll probably be using pelikan 4001 royal blue. :D

Haven't gotten anything much on paper yet, but I'll respond to people now while I have time

@ dcwaites -- I don't do databases. I have a file of inks sorted by color family, and a separate spreadsheet likewise, noting which are samples and which are full bottles (and how much I have). I also have a file which is by brand, where I also keep track of the number of inks I have. And that's what I ended up using. 2 *different* random number generator websites. came up with 26. So I counted down, and then counted up. And both times ended up with different inks when I counted up from the bottom of the list, so I picked the second one, which ended up being De Atramentis Albrecht Dürer/Anthracite (the top down count hit Noodler's Heart of Darkness). So clearly black was it. And then I randomly picked Dürer, which is drier than a lot of the standard D'A inks I've tried, but also seems blacker than I remembered from when I first tried it. Right now it's in a Parker 45 with an oblique nib and while that nib has the standard very small Parker 45 sweet spot, it likes the ink when I hit that sweet spot.

@ vismamitra -- Random choosing has been a really interesting experience. Clearly the Universe has decided that I need more black ink in my life (and since the Universe also prodded me to keep digging in a shoebox full of mostly ballpoints at an estate sale about a year and a half ago ago till I found what turned out to be a Parker 41, I'm not going to argue too much... :rolleyes:) it also has apparently decided I need more black pens, since I won the eBay auction last night for what is probably an Esterbrook SJ (guessing on the size) with a 9556 nib....

@ lgsoltek -- No, I don't use codes (other than IG for iron gall inks); I'd have too much trouble trying to decipher them later on....

@ LizEF -- :lol: Blue Ghost was my first guess -- I use it to keep track of passwords for various websites that I don't use often enough, like the banking one, and my Amazon account (strangely, though, I have NO trouble remembering the one for eBay and FPN.... ;)).

@dcwaites (again) -- "canned shading" :lticaptd:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."