Learn To Draw Pen And Ink Landscapes

rahul_jain

As a pen and ink artist, my aim is to help people discover drawing simple landscapes with pen and ink as a creative and relaxing hobby. I have created completely free tutorials that help absolute beginners get started drawing with pen and experience the pleasure of putting your creative expression on paper. Let this be your new year resolution :)

In the following, you can see how easy it is to draw simple bark texture and trunk with pen. Learn to draw other elements of nature with pen and ink and get started today.

Have fun

Rahul

www.pendrawings.me

Drawing a tree trunk with pen and ink

post-127320-0-55431500-1483718681_thumb.gif

Add a horizon with distant tree line and a scattered trunk or two and you have a simple landscape.

post-127320-0-99509700-1483718719.gif

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rahul_jain

• BradGad

• graystranger

• ParkerDuofold

Thank you so much for some great tips, and the link to your site. Your drawings are wonderful! This is fantastic information for a beginner like me.

Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation

Thanks graystranger....drawing with pen is a wonderful way to relax and enjoy some downtime...glad you liked the content and best of luck for your creative journey

Rahul

Thank you, Rahul; this is great! Makes for a pleasurable diversion in that all too rare, "downtime." :)

- Anthony

Marvelous.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Thanks Anthony and pajaro....indeed quick sketches and drawings with pen is a great way to unwind...Great thing with landscapes is that you can always draw one from your imagination and you never run out of ideas...in my tutorials, I use simple compositions that can be easily adapted to create a pleasing landscapes, even by absolute novices...

here are some very simple ones that you can easily get started with.

Have fun,

Rahul

post-127320-0-28797300-1483979507_thumb.gif

Over the years I have developed a personal style with repeated motifs. I use vintage mid-1800s to early 1930s dip pens. I have several hundred of them. And,,nice work in your examples. I also do pen and ink with watercolor. Have used bamboo pens for bold sketching.

Edited by Studio97

This looks terrrific! I've been wanting to start incorporating sketches in my journal, and I'm very much into plants and landscapes. This looks perfect... thanks so much, Rahul.

"A knifeless man is a lifeless man." -- Faroe Islands proverb

Thanks BradGad and Studio97...Simple sketches indeed add a whole new dimension to journals and they are so much fun to do:)...my aim in my tutorials is exactly this...to help people who have never drawn before see how easy and fun it is to learn to do simple drawings and landscapes with pen in pocket sketch books, journal or even on a napkin when waiting at restaurant (I do it often:)....

Also do spread the work around on your social media as the more the merrier..

@Studio97,

'several hundred' is indeed a lot of them:)...I have few but I often find that I keep using my favourite one or two and I suspect same might be the case with you. I am a 'pen and ink purist' in that I like the feel of drawing with only pen lines and stay away from colour but I have seen many drawing that incorporate the two wonderfully. Never used bamboo pens but may be one day..

Have a creative day

Rahul

www.pendrawings.me/getstarted

Thanks BradGad and Studio97...Simple sketches indeed add a whole new dimension to journals and they are so much fun to do:)...

I just spent some more time on the site. This is incredibly valuable and incredibly generous of you. I'm at work now, but can't wait to get home and start working on this.

"A knifeless man is a lifeless man." -- Faroe Islands proverb

Thanks BradGad...Glad you liked it...my aim is to make it as easy as possible for anybody to start doing pen drawings by making the content fully illustrated with ample examples and templates to practice...Any comments/suggestions for improvement or any other thoughts are most welcome as well. Would be great if you could share some of your efforts to motivate others as well :)

Have a creative day

Rahul

www.pendrawings.me/getstarted