Visconti "dreamtouch" Nib Memory - Hype Or Real?

dms525

The animate adapted to the inanimate.

Depends on what we mean by "adapt". Take a look a pair of shoes that you have worn for a long time, and compare then with a pair that another person has worn for a long time. You will notice that some part of the shapes of the shoes have "adapted" differently, according to the wearer.

One remark has been on the iridium tip and how long it would take to change that. But the nib is more that just the tip. It is a piece of metal that is not particularly thick and one may expect it to change to pressure applied consistently at the same level and angle.

Over the years, I have noticed that after extensive writing over a period, my nibs change so that one tine is very slightly higher than the other ... apparently from the way I hold the pen and the pressure I apply. As the results have always suited me, these days the first thing I do with a new pen is raise the left tine ever so slightly. What I imagine would happen with one of these Dreamtouch nibs is that the nibs would get to that state quicker than with a normal nib and without "special effort" on my part.

So, in sum, I am inclined to believe the Visconti line. I am next week getting a pen with such a nib---I came across this thread while looking for a review---so I will soon find out.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dms525

• markh

• Bluey

• FriendAmos

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on what we mean by "adapt". Take a look a pair of shoes that you have worn for a long time, and compare then with a pair that another person has worn for a long time. You will notice that some part of the shapes of the shoes have "adapted" differently, according to the wearer.

One remark has been on the iridium tip and how long it would take to change that. But the nib is more that just the tip. It is a piece of metal that is not particularly thick and one may expect it to change to pressure applied consistently at the same level and angle.

Over the years, I have noticed that after extensive writing over a period, my nibs change so that one tine is very slightly higher than the other ... apparently from the way I hold the pen and the pressure I apply. As the results have always suited me, these days the first thing I do with a new pen is raise the left tine ever so slightly. What I imagine would happen with one of these Dreamtouch nibs is that the nibs would get to that state quicker than with a normal nib and without "special effort" on my part.

So, in sum, I am inclined to believe the Visconti line. I am next week getting a pen with such a nib---I came across this thread while looking for a review---so I will soon find out.

I meant to adjust oneself to different conditions, environment, etc.

I take what you mean as more wear or break in, perhaps I am wrong.

I agree a pen can wear from use, but I don't think so in a relatively short period of time.

I hope you find something unique and pleasurable about your Pd nib. I found them to have a nice softness but ended up preferring the oldetails 18K and 14K nibs.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

I meant to adjust oneself to different conditions, environment, etc.

I take what you mean as more wear or break in, perhaps I am wrong.

I agree a pen can wear from use, but I don't think so in a relatively short period of time.

I hope you find something unique and pleasurable about your Pd nib. I found them to have a nice softness but ended up preferring the oldetails 18K and 14K nibs.

Well, leather shoes will, when worn over a sufficient period, "adjust' to conditions, environment, etc.

No, I don't mean "wear", if we are going by the standard dictionary definition. I simply mean changes in the tines. Also, if the nib material is thin enough and flexible, there there is no reason why a sufficient amount of pressure should cannot change it over a short period; indeed, as I indicated, I now get the same effect immediately, simply by applying enough pressure (with my nails) over a few seconds.

Visconti makes no claims as to how long it takes for the "memory' to kick in. What they say is perfectly reasonable and believable, i.e.:

"The tines will spread and adjust in accordance to its owner’s writing style."

These days I tend to like soft nibs, and I assume that the Palladium ones are softer than the 14K/18K in Visconti.

I have a bronze and a dark ages, both medium nibs. They've always written smooth as butter