What Would You Consider To Be Sheaffer Pen Highlights?

gammada

A couple months ago I finally went down the rabbit hole and started collecting vintage pens after wasting some years "hoarding" unspeakable amounts of colors of the very same Lamy pen!

So, now that am on this road, can you please point me to the worthy pens on Sheaffer history? There are many, many pens that show for sale locally, so I would like to spot any gems that may be lying around.

As for worthy, I don't necessarily mean expensive, they could be ordinary pens with extraordinary details such as the in-laid nibs, the filler systems, or design features worth collecting.

Thank you for your help!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gammada

• ink-syringe

• mitto

• pajaro

The five models of the PFM - I, II, III, IV and IV. The Imperial IV, VI snd VIII. The Snorkel line and the Triumph pens. The Sterling Silver Imperial both Touchdoun and C/C versions and the Sterling Silver GF Imperial.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

I know this isn't going to be helpful but really virtually anything from the Flat tops to the Imperals of the 1960s is worth your time. There are very very few aspects of Sheaffer I don't have much interest in and they made great pens in every decade of the 20th century up until about 1970 and even occasionally after.

But where should you start first? A good place to start is late 1949 to ca. 1960. See if you like conical nib pneumatic pens. I personally love them or one of the open nib models (Admiral/Special etc) Get a couple Touchdowns and Snorkels and then branch out from there, try an Imperial or two and then go backwards and see if you like the celluloid Balance and vac fill pens, maybe get a Balance Statesman or Balance Admiral to start... then maybe back further to flat tops and BCHR or forward to a PFM or Legacy.

Very sorry/congratulations. It's a big deep rabbit hole. As I type this a Sheaffer Balance Statesman in Brown Celluloid, an OS Crest, an OS Balance Premier, 2 Snorkels and 2 touchdowns are within grabbing distance.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

I understand why you ask but there are as many answers as there are Sheaffer collectors, actually maybe 10 times as many answers as there are Sheaffer collectors because we all have many models we would label vintage Sheaffer "highlights."

Read here and on other boards, and certainly on PenHero where Jim M. has a superlative collection of articles and photographs on Sheaffer highlights. Learning the answer(s) to your question will be a journey you will enjoy immensely.

The OP, I think, has clearly shown interest in the 'in-laid' nibs and the associated filling systems and/or design features.

Khan M. Ilyas

For inlaid nibs, my suggestion for a first purchase would be a PFM (I favor the IV for its appearance) or Legacy with Touchdown fill if you prefer a girthy pen or a Targa in your preferred finish if you like your pen a little more slender. Both, if you have no preference. That ought to get the momentum going.

James

As for worthy, I don't necessarily mean expensive, they could be ordinary pens with extraordinary details such as the in-laid nibs, the filler systems, or design features worth collecting.

Thank you for your help!

The OP, I think, has clearly shown interest in the 'in-laid' nibs and the associated filling systems and/or design features.

Clearly?

"Such as ..."

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

Yes, the Targas is the best C/C inlaid nib pens. And the PFM, the Imperial and the Triumph line pens are equally interesting if one likes light weight pens. And there is the variety of filling systems in these pens as PFM are snorkel, the Imperials are touchdown and the triumph and Targa are C/C pens.

Khan M. Ilyas

Sheaffer school cartridge pen, which certainly had a larger effect on the world, cost a whole lot less and worked at least as well as PFM or Targa. Lighter pen, no complicated mechanism, no swelling section plastic, just reliable working and cheap to replace.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Sheaffer Balance of the 1930's. Great colors wonderful nibs.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

As the other members have stated, there is a lot to love. From the amazing vac-fill to the quirky yet beautiful celluloiid designs on the balances, to the delightful heft on the balance pencils and so on... But for me, nothing tops Sheaffer's waverley style nibs (sometimes designated as "FeatherTouch," sometimes not at all labelled). I have a brown pearl oversize balance with a waverley-style nib and it is a DREAM to write with.

I think Sheaffer made the best in laid nibs. Targa, legacy, imperial. All outstanding. And don't forget the Italian made Valor. After that Balances with the dream touch nib as mentioned. Great pens. Miss those days.

I think Sheaffer made the best in laid nibs. Targa, legacy, imperial. All outstanding. And don't forget the Italian made Valor. After that Balances with the dream touch nib as mentioned. Great pens. Miss those days.

The pens that I have come to use most these days are the Imperials with the inlaid nibs. They are always ready to write. I am using several in fine and extra fine, cartridge and Touchdown. Desk pens and fountain pens with caps. The older Balance type pens, even in entry level incarnations, are also exceptional. For American pens it is hard to beat Sheaffer at any level of price.

After many years of sampling stuff I have come back to the Sheaffers of the 1960s, the Imperials. They made great extra fines.

Thanks to Maiin Street Pens for selling me the burgundy Imperial VII Touchdown filler in extra fine. A long journey to find my favorite pen. I have been topping it with the 1996 Holly Pen cap. Looks good.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Sheaffer nibs are excellent regardless of when they were manufactured. From flat-top 1920s models, to streamlined 30s-40s, to the great inlaid nibs of 40s-60s, all of the nibs are superior. Among more modern models, I think the Connaisseur, Grande Connaisseur, and Levenger-Sheaffer Seas (Connaisseur) are the best cartridge-converter fillers ever made by any manufacturer.

The five models of the PFM - I, II, III, IV and IV. The Imperial IV, VI snd VIII. The Snorkel line and the Triumph pens. The Sterling Silver Imperial both Touchdoun and C/C versions and the Sterling Silver GF Imperial.

Awesome, I will check into them. The Snorkel pens particularly grab my attention!

But where should you start first? A good place to start is late 1949 to ca. 1960. See if you like conical nib pneumatic pens. I personally love them or one of the open nib models (Admiral/Special etc) Get a couple Touchdowns and Snorkels and then branch out from there, try an Imperial or two and then go backwards and see if you like the celluloid Balance and vac fill pens, maybe get a Balance Statesman or Balance Admiral to start... then maybe back further to flat tops and BCHR or forward to a PFM or Legacy.

Very sorry/congratulations. It's a big deep rabbit hole. As I type this a Sheaffer Balance Statesman in Brown Celluloid, an OS Crest, an OS Balance Premier, 2 Snorkels and 2 touchdowns are within grabbing distance.

Just spotted a Balance pen with an asking price of nearly $250, is this the going rate for them?

The Balance is a vac-filler?

Sheaffer school cartridge pen, which certainly had a larger effect on the world, cost a whole lot less and worked at least as well as PFM or Targa. Lighter pen, no complicated mechanism, no swelling section plastic, just reliable working and cheap to replace.

Just checked eBay for them, they really seem to be in high supply and at an affordable range. Thank you for the tip!

Sheaffer Balance of the 1930's. Great colors wonderful nibs.

Are they difficult to maintain or to restore? What filling system do they have?

As the other members have stated, there is a lot to love. From the amazing vac-fill to the quirky yet beautiful celluloiid designs on the balances, to the delightful heft on the balance pencils and so on... But for me, nothing tops Sheaffer's waverley style nibs (sometimes designated as "FeatherTouch," sometimes not at all labelled). I have a brown pearl oversize balance with a waverley-style nib and it is a DREAM to write with.

Which pens sport this nibs?

Knew nothing of the Valor, but saw one in youtube today, and its looks pretty nice! Still with gold in-laid nibs. Going to see if I can find an example here.