What Indian Pens Are You Using Today - 2021 ?

RMN

• Replies 853
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• Sagarb

• Helen350

• K Singh

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One of my favorite smaller (for me) pens is this Guider Ebonite. I bought it in 2020 from FPR (excellent service from Kevin) with a #5 Schmidt broad upgrade. As I needed another pen to write in book margins I replaced the Schmidt broad, which wrote wonderfully, to a #5 Sensa fine nib.

It's a great pen, never fails to write, and light enough to carry in my shirt pocket.

Guider.jpg

'We live in times where smart people must be silenced so stupid people won't be offended."

Clip from Ricky Gervais' new Netflix Special

1 minute ago, sgphototn said:

One of my favorite smaller (for me) pens is this Guider Ebonite. I bought it in 2020 from FPR (excellent service from Kevin) with a #5 Schmidt broad upgrade. As I needed another pen to write in book margins I replaced the Schmidt broad, which wrote wonderfully, to a #5 Sensa fine nib.

It's a great pen, never fails to write, and light enough to carry in my shirt pocket.

Guider.jpg

Beautiful! 

34 minutes ago, Yohaanrods said:

Beautiful! 

Thanks. I have a special appreciation for Indian pens. Good quality, nice craftsmanship, excellent service from the vendors I've bought from, and nice people to do business with.

I hope you and your family are well and safe, and that India makes great progress in fighting Covid.

'We live in times where smart people must be silenced so stupid people won't be offended."

1 hour ago, sgphototn said:

Thanks. I have a special appreciation for Indian pens. Good quality, nice craftsmanship, excellent service from the vendors I've bought from, and nice people to do business with.

I hope you and your family are well and safe, and that India makes great progress in fighting Covid.

Ditto to all of that statement - and most especially the last bit.

On 4/21/2021 at 9:41 PM, Nyoko said:

Ranga Abhimanyu ebonite with Jowo 14k soft EF
ink - Herbin Vert de Gris

ranga-abhimanyu-3.jpg

looks very nice in the premium blue white! one of my favourite premium ebonite colours.

today I'm using another Ranga 8B, a model I quite like due to the hourglass section.

The pen is in green olive regular ebonite in bakul finish (matt), and is an eye dropper.

Together with the ebonite feed, I asked Ranga to fit a Bock nib to it.

Originally the nib was a B size, but flow was so abundant that it was a real firehose... (fun but somewhat too much).

I made a switch from another pen that had a M Bock, but converter system (so the donor pen has not become a firehose in turn).

Flow is still very free, but not so abundant as before, greatly satisfying to feel how the ink flows immediately without hesitation as soon as the nib barely touches the paper. My little ink booklet, where I note down when I fill pens, says I inked this pen on the 5th of March... OK, I'm not using it regularly everyday, but it stays on my desk and when I pick it up it writes, and in eyedropper the amount of ink is endless...

large.894380209_P1200213-3Ranga8Bgreenoliveripple.jpg.3855a9965b1559f708e56378bab30650.jpg

1 hour ago, sansenri said:

today I'm using another Ranga 8B, a model I quite like due to the hourglass section.

The pen is in green olive regular ebonite in bakul finish (matt), and is an eye dropper.

Together with the ebonite feed, I asked Ranga to fit a Bock nib to it.

Originally the nib was a B size, but flow was so abundant that it was a real firehose... (fun but somewhat too much).

I made a switch from another pen that had a M Bock, but converter system (so the donor pen has not become a firehose in turn).

Flow is still very free, but not so abundant as before, greatly satisfying to feel how the ink flows immediately without hesitation as soon as the nib barely touches the paper. My little ink booklet, where I note down when I fill pens, says I inked this pen on the 5th of March... OK, I'm not using it regularly everyday, but it stays on my desk and when I pick it up it writes, and in eyedropper the amount of ink is endless...

large.894380209_P1200213-3Ranga8Bgreenoliveripple.jpg.3855a9965b1559f708e56378bab30650.jpg

Beautiful colors. I don't have those colors in any of my Rangas (but I may next time).

I have two 8bs, the first time I bought that style. The section is very comfortable, though in truth I've not had a Ranga that wasn't comfortable.

I went with JoWo 1.1 and 1.5 nibs and have been very pleased. One stays by my armchair for quick notes, and like you I find they're always ready to write. 

Thanks for showing the pen in those colors and finish. It may be time to make an order to Ranga as I've been wanting the Designer in a premium ebonite.

I have two Ranga 8Bs as well, and an 8. All are eyedropper-filled, and currently inked and in use. I find them very similar to the original ebonite Asa Naukas, although they don't have the cap threads so far down the section...

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

13 hours ago, hari317 said:

Nice. Pls post more pics of this pen. 

I had found this pen lying in a local pen store covered in dust. I did think it was a vacumatic initially. I found out that this was manufactured in the 1960s.The section was brittle and broke at the threads... Hence had to find a section that would fit. The nib that it came with was unusable. Hence, the shop man fitted an IPG nib ( I had no spare nibs with me back then.) which was surprisingly smooth. 

After thoroughly washing the pen, the colour seemed to be a dark green!? ( don't know the exact shade). I found it difficult to capture. I tried though. 😅

The section doesnt look great and the pen needs to be polished. But I don't know how to go about it. 

IMG_20210430_084806.jpg

IMG_20210430_084924.jpg

IMG_20210430_084337.jpg

IMG_20210430_084645.jpg

IMG_20210430_084155.jpg

IMG_20210430_083906.jpg

IMG_20210430_085134.jpg

IMG_20210430_085253.jpg

11 hours ago, sgphototn said:

Thank you very much! Our state has imposed a lockdown and we're safe and sound :)

Though the scene in India is not good at the moment. 

Hope all is well with you too

4 hours ago, Yohaanrods said:

I had found this pen lying in a local pen store covered in dust. I did think it was a vacumatic initially. I found out that this was manufactured in the 1960s.The section was brittle and broke at the threads... Hence had to find a section that would fit. The nib that it came with was unusable. Hence, the shop man fitted an IPG nib ( I had no spare nibs with me back then.) which was surprisingly smooth. 

After thoroughly washing the pen, the colour seemed to be a dark green!? ( don't know the exact shade). I found it difficult to capture. I tried though. 😅

The section doesnt look great and the pen needs to be polished. But I don't know how to go about it. 

IMG_20210430_084806.jpg

IMG_20210430_084924.jpg

IMG_20210430_084337.jpg

IMG_20210430_084645.jpg

IMG_20210430_084155.jpg

IMG_20210430_083906.jpg

IMG_20210430_085134.jpg

IMG_20210430_085253.jpg

Thank you so much. It’s a great find. 

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I have been using lot of Indian Pens...
as during these Covid Times you have some travel time saved which I am utilizing for now pens, calligraphy and blog also

Here in picture is one of the kind ASA Spear (Custom Commission)

ASA Spear.jpg

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

Another Indian Pen that is inked is a custom commission by Manoj of Fosfor Pens 

I call it Fosfor Custom Evergreen (As it uses the Conway Stewart Blanks)

The pen has roll stop sterling silver band

Fosfor Evergreen.jpg

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

Your Asa Spear looks a lot like my Asa Mist?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2021 at 4:05 PM, mhguda said:

Your Asa Spear looks a lot like my Asa Mist?

well possible...

same material i guess...

@vaibhav can you share comparison

Specializing in India Made Pens

Check out our link.tree below:

Web Store / Instagram

13 minutes ago, Qalam said:

well possible...

same material

It's not only the material - the model looks almost the same, too. And from what I remember, the Spear had more of a torpedo shape... although it has been a while since I saw pictures, maybe I'm misremembering...

OK, I looked it up. I can see why I had a torpedo shape in my mind, and where it was wrong. But also, the difference in shape is much more evident like this, and in this material, than from the acrylic in the picture of the later model...

http://asapens.in/eshop/image/data/Spear/spear_1.jpg

Edited by mhguda
additional info found

• 2 weeks later...

Tonite preparing teaching notes.  Airmail Acrylic Eyedropper with a M. Jinhao X450

nib.  Ink:  Waterman Inspired Blue.

2021-06-02_00-16-49.jpg