What Pen Won't You Buy?

sidthecat

Not hoping to step on any toes, but I'll never buy another Lamy or Sheaffer pen. After buying 3 of each and being quite disappointed with all, that's enough for me.

Carl

Oh, I know this of myself

I assume as much for other people

We’ve listened more to life’s end gong

Than the sound of life’s sweet bells

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Manalto

• pajaro

• inkstainedruth

• Stylo_dOr

+1 No metal section. No pens that deny me freedom to choose nibs

Add lightness and simplicate.

Not hoping to step on any toes, but I'll never buy another Lamy or Sheaffer pen. After buying 3 of each and being quite disappointed with all, that's enough for me.

Carl

Modern or vintage. I can understand the moderns of the last 4-5 years, but vintage is another story. But the issue of modern Sheaffers may be a moot point now that Cross owns it.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Freedom to choose nibs is relatively unimportant to me while I have freedom to choose pens with nibs.

X

Marbled pattern. The brighter it is, the worse

Expanding the list so I'll have less temptation to spend money on pen (inks are calling)

Edited by rluka

Lots, for different reasons, usually because of the feel of the material, or the hooded nib, including Sheaffer, Bexley, Conid. I understand the technical attraction to Conid, but think it is way overpriced. Of course the answers here are totally subjective, hope no offense taken.

I won't buy any contemporary Cross pens. Don't like the look. I will not buy another TWSBI. Cracking issues. Noodler's are out. Too temperamental. And I don't care for any of the current Parker or Sheaffer line-up, although I am a big fan of their vintage pens (Snorkels and P51,61 etc..).

Monteverde or other pens manufactured for or distributed by Yafa (low quality for the price, and likely to look much less attractive in reality than in promotional photographs)

Clear pens (make me think of medical lab work)

Pens that would require me to use Amazon or eBay to obtain them

Gaily colored pens, even if they are purple

Pens with baroque decoration, whether seemingly intended to evoke Versailles or the Rocky Horror Picture Show

Pelikan, I've tried two and neither was worth the money, the M205 clear demonstrator seems to me to be little more than a tweaked clone of the Wing Sung 698.

Very disappointing.

Al

Modern or vintage. I can understand the moderns of the last 4-5 years, but vintage is another story. But the issue of modern Sheaffers may be a moot point now that Cross owns it.

Definitely modern for 5 of the 6. One Sheaffer said something along the lines of "vintage" in the Ebay description, but no specifics from the seller. So I'll go with modern.

C

Oh, I know this of myself

I assume as much for other people

We’ve listened more to life’s end gong

Than the sound of life’s sweet bells

Anything above $160 USD, no Montblancs, I also draw the line at nazi like regimes / country occupiers or bad references, e.g. if I accepted an ink called napalm I would have to accept one called 9-11, which I ain't about to do.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

• 1 month later...

I've got new one to add after reading about the recent pen robberies from Novelli, Stilograph and Dan Smith (nibsmith.com). Ain't no way that I'm buying a stolen pen if I can help it.

Visconti. I’ve heard/read about too many instances of faulty nibs. Margin of error too high for my taste for such expensive pens.

Visconti. I’ve heard/read about too many instances of faulty nibs. Margin of error too high for my taste for such expensive pens.

Ah, don't believe everything that you read as gospel. Yeah, you might find some QC issues now and then with Visconti, but I don't think it's necessarily as widespread as one might think. I own 2 dozen Visconti pens ranging from low to high in price. The only ones I've ever had a problem with were the less expensive Visconti pens, like the Van Gogh, and I think most of those problems stemmed from me failing to use the right ink for the Visconti steel nibs. Once I figured things out, I found myself loving my Van Goghs almost as much as my expensive ones. But, more importantly, I've had very few problem with my expensive Viscontis.

Edited by Stylo_dOr

I would not touch Parker Vector I had bought one six years ago and after only four months of normal school use barrel in the thread section cracked. I have returned it to the seller and got a new one after two months the pen started to clog like crazy and I was using only original Parker cartridges and then the cap cracked. Again returned. The third one held for six months filled with frequent cleaning due to burping and clogging before cracking. The last one also cracked after four months and with that I was finished with the brand. No modern Parker for me no thanks.

With regards Milan

Edit Tresconik that is filthy lie and you know it. 😋

Edited by MilanKov

If you win over your own stupidity then are you winner or loser? In any case it means something good.

Ok, no pens from nasty places, that leaves Belgium. Any good pens made in Belgium?

Conid! Bought one.

Edited by Karmachanic

Add lightness and simplicate.