The Strange Case Of Mr. Pen's Nibs

Wrecky

[quote name="Wrecky" post="3803260" timestamp="1488842131"

That being said, the medium italic tends to run dry after a while with the converter installed.. Bear in mind, I don't use it to write long texts continuously. I use it to take notes, or to jot down short text. So I was disappointed that it tended to run dry. I cleaned it thoroughly before inking them up for the first time, so that couldn't be the problem.

That seems to be a standard problem with standard international converter, as mentioned by others, and the converter fits pretty snug on the collector.

This in stark contrast with the FB Loom that barely holds on to the cartridges and doesn't have this problem. If you fit a mini cartridge in the Loom, you need to jam it up against the converter by backing it up with a second mini cartridge in the back of the barrel.

Then I used one of the gratis provided cartridges in the med italic. The ink was black, but it came out dull and grey. I tried to drain the feed, but it kept writing dry. Squeezed the cartridge a couple of times and that saturated the feed, solving the problem. I'll be taking it outside to a meeting tomorrow, see how it performs.

I have had the same problems with my medium italic PE, but is there the same problem with the wetter broad cursive? Too bad putting a cartridge in doesn't solve the problem.

It's funny, I initially hated how loosely cartridges fit in my c/c pelikans, but they all flow magnificently. I've been thinking about eventually getting a Loom, so it's good to know that they have the same peculiarity.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wrecky

• truthpil

• ParkerDuofold

• NinthSphere

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As for the obliques, I heard from Mr Ford a few weeks back and he said he doesn't offer cursive stub obliques. His obliques, like most currently in production, have no line variation. I just wondered if the line width was the same as the standard unmodified nibs. I imagine they might be broader since they are ground from the original nibs.

Edited by TruthPil

Use a different ink in the one that is running dry. My Italix finds some inks a bit dry - it likes Diamine's inks, Parker & Waterman's gushes and some of J Herbin's. My italix struggles a bit with Pelikan ink.

I have had the same problems with my medium italic PE, but is there the same problem with the wetter broad cursive? Too bad putting a cartridge in doesn't solve the problem.

It's funny, I initially hated how loosely cartridges fit in my c/c pelikans, but they all flow magnificently. I've been thinking about eventually getting a Loom, so it's good to know that they have the same peculiarity.

The problem seems to be that no air is allowed back into the cartridge, creating a low pressure that prohibits smooth ink flow. If that is indeed the cause, a broader nib would only make matters worse.

As for the obliques, I heard from Mr Ford a few weeks back and he said he doesn't offer cursive stub obliques. His obliques, like most currently in production, have no line variation. I just wondered if the line width was the same as the standard unmodified nibs. I imagine they might be broader since they are ground from the original nibs.

Cutting the obliques would make the tip slightly broader. For instance a 15° cut would make it 4% broader, barely noticeable.

The problem seems to be that no air is allowed back into the cartridge, creating a low pressure that prohibits smooth ink flow. If that is indeed the cause, a broader nib would only make matters worse.

I wonder if this could be remedied by slightly enlarging the opening of an international cartridge so it fits just a little loosely on the nipple. Maybe I'll give that a try the next time I have my PE in rotation.

I really love the smoothness of the nibs, but I write for long stretches at a time and it gets annoying to stop every few lines to crank the converter and get the ink flowing again.

Fwiw, my Captain's Commission broad italic had the issue where you sometimes needed to flick the pen to displace the air bubble in the converter. The converter ended up getting swapped out with one of those Jinhao Lamy clones from an out of use pen after it started leaking from the knob. Don't have to flick it anymore. Maybe a fluke, but it may be worth a shot for folks having trouble.

Edited by NinthSphere

Great idea! Some Chinese converters are infamous for leaking, so maybe that would be an advantage in this case.

I haven't had leaking problems with mine, but it's a cheap fix if it works. Worst case, it's an excuse to buy a new pen. :D

captain's commission burgundy in my wishlist maybe next month i will order it

im a little confuse when choosing the nib, i have 2 stub nib and i love them.

i want to try medium italic oblique right hand bcos i dont have any oblique nib in my collection. i hope i make the right choice about the nib. bcos too many nib option they offer make me confuse lol

I was ready to try a Notator but I couldn't buy it unless I bought something else. The pen was 18.66 pounds, but you have to buy something that costs at least 20 pounds. A strange buisness plan if you ask me. Why not drop the minimum to the lowest priced pen (Notator)?

Looking for a black SJ Transitional Esterbrook Pen. (It's smaller than an sj)

I was ready to try a Notator but I couldn't buy it unless I bought something else. The pen was 18.66 pounds, but you have to buy something that costs at least 20 pounds. A strange buisness plan if you ask me. Why not drop the minimum to the lowest priced pen (Notator)?

That is an odd situation.

captain's commission burgundy in my wishlist maybe next month i will order it

im a little confuse when choosing the nib, i have 2 stub nib and i love them.

i want to try medium italic oblique right hand bcos i dont have any oblique nib in my collection. i hope i make the right choice about the nib. bcos too many nib option they offer make me confuse lol

Just be aware with Mr. Pen's italic nibs are a little sharp on the corners so you have to keep the pen in the same position when you write or a corner will dig into the page. If you can keep your pen in the right position then you will experience one of the smoothest writing experiences imaginable.

My problem is that the pen sometimes rotates in my hand a little when I'm writing quickly and then the nib gets caught in the paper. For that reason I'm looking to try a cursive stub next. I was hoping for an oblique cursive stub but Mr. Pen said that wasn't possible. :crybaby:

That is a bit odd. Especially considering the Notator is designed as a budget pen for poor college students. :huh:

I decided against the Notator because the glossy metal section will probably slip out of my sweaty fingers.

Just add a couple cartridges to your order, that will put you over the top.

Yes, there are a couple of ways to get around it. Send them a few more dollars, or buy something I don't need or want (cartridges). My guess is that I'm not alone, it seems so off unreasonable that I'll look elsewhere for my pens.

Looking for a black SJ Transitional Esterbrook Pen. (It's smaller than an sj)

Fwiw, my Captain's Commission broad italic had the issue where you sometimes needed to flick the pen to displace the air bubble in the converter. The converter ended up getting swapped out with one of those Jinhao Lamy clones from an out of use pen after it started leaking from the knob. Don't have to flick it anymore. Maybe a fluke, but it may be worth a shot for folks having trouble.

I just put the converter from my Jinhao X750 into my Parson's Essential and inked it up with Herbin Lie de The. Flow is absolutely amazing and now I remember why I love this pen so much...nib is so smooth it makes a little squeak as it slides effortlessly across the page.

However, after writing at a furious pace for a page and a half, the nib went totally bone dry. I couldn't believe I used up all the ink already, so I checked and, sure enough, there was plenty of ink still in the converter. The only thing that could get the pen to write again was cranking the converter. So I guess it won't work with all Jinhao converters, maybe just one that has a loose seal. :::sigh:::

Edited by TruthPil

I like all three of them, but I like the medium italic most. The broad cursive is nice if you want to emphasize. I use that for titles mostly. But the cursive italic is nothing to sneeze at either.

If you already had the medium italic, do you think it would be "worth it" to get the medium cursive stub?

• 2 weeks later...

If you like the medium italic, I wouldn't get the medium stub. I don't think that would bring anything new to the table.