if royalty makes history ...

KateGladstone

I have not been able to find much about the pens used by the monarchy in Europe but this is a list of political leaders and their pens

•  Clinton Cross roller ball, perhaps because he is lefthanded
  • JFK Parker 45which he used and gave away as gifts
  • Eisenhower, used and gave away Parker 51s. there is an excellent thread on FPN about the Ike 51s.
  • HMQ also a Parker 51, it is said that a major reason for her majesty liking the pen is because the cap was not a screw fitting.
  •  Boris Johnson and Teresa May,  a black Duofold International, possibly the same pen for Number 10 stationery cupboard
  •  David  Cameron, Platinum Preppy, I am not  in the least bit surprised
  •  Malcolm Turnbull,  Montblanc Friedrich Schiller
  •  Jacinda Ardern was given a Pelikan by Frank-Walter Steinmeier
  • Shinzo Abe has a Pilot Custom 845
  •  Narendra Modi has a MB Solitaire
  • Putin has been pictured using a MB146 but was given a Conway Stewart  Churchill  in Burgundy by Tony Blair in 2014
  •  Dmitry Medvedev  has  a Montegrappa Extra 1930
  •  Margaret Thatcher was seen using a variety of pens but especially a black Duofold.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fermata

• E.H. Tersono

• Olya

• Vladpu

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've seen "every day work of the PM" type footage of both Teresa May and David Cameron using Pilot V-Pen disposable FPs aka " Pilot Varsity".

On royal warrants, Akkerman in The Hague has the Dutch royal family's warrant. There are various shops in the Netherlands with their warrant.

Parker is an important supplier of ink, I think all of the Windsors must get litres worth of black Quink every year, as invitations are done in-house with dip pens and black Quink and many of their business and private letters are also written in black.

Of the Parkers they may use, I suspect it's part vintage and part modern upper end of the spectrum, i.e. the Duofold.

Plus likely tonnes of Jotters for the household (office) staff.

Years ago Kate went Xmas shopping and asked for pen recommendations for a leftie (probably Will).

Charles has been seen with the same MB several times, it must be his personal (a Barleycorn, when institutions provide pens to sign, the MBs are usually plain regular 146 or 149).

President Vucic was also gifted a Pelikan when he was in Germany on a state visit (I think he was even in Hannover, so that choice was spot on).

Many British MPs have been seen with the Varsity, makes you wonder whether they stock it in parliament or N°10.

Merkel has been seen with a uni eye.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2021 at 12:42 AM, E.H. Tersono said:

I have noticed the slightly older Parker packaging seems to have the warrants on them, but I'm not sure if the newer boxes do. I don't know why they wouldn't if they don't.

It will be interesting to see what the next generation of the family decides to do with warrants - will King William, if he chooses that name, have a favourite fountain pen?

I anticipate there will be some sort of equivalent on iPads.

On 10/20/2021 at 1:01 PM, Fermata said:

On a slightly related note, this is the pen for sale at the Buckingham Palace shop, aint no Parker.

large.013631_f.jpg.a53034dec426ec78145047cd3d1383b9.jpg

If you zoom in, the brand name is "Commoner"