svalcourt

I need help deciding!

I have $380-400 (Canadian, that's about $300 US) to spend on a pen. I currently own and enjoy pens like the Lamy 2000, Pilot VP, Diplomat Aero, TWSBI 580, Pilot CH92, Lamy Studio, Edison Collier (steel nib), and Faber Castell Loom.
Here's my question: Would you recommend the Pilot 823 or the Edison Nouveau Premier Arctic Currents with a gold nib? I like the look of the arctic currents, but am concerned that the grip section may be a little too small. Also, any other suggestions in that price range?
Thanks!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• svalcourt

• jar

• ehemem

• sandy101

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like the Pilot Custom 743 more than the 823; same nib and more nib choices and body styles and filling methods. But I like the Sailor 1911L and Platinum #3776 Century even more than my Pilot 743.

My Website

I would get the 823. I picked up one in smoke with a fine nib some years ago and it has been inked ever since. It is one of the best pens on the market IMHO...

I have no experience with the pens you named, but I like Pilot pens in general.

As to a couple of the suggestions other posters mentioned:

I like my new Visconti Van Gogh. I also like the Century 3776, which you should be able to find for around $70-75 US on amazon or ebay. Levenger has two of the Van Goghs (Portrait and Starry Night), and with MERRY16 promo code you get 30% off right now. I was just on their website looking at a pen box.

Have you considered any Pelikan or Montblanc pens? In this price range you'd get a nice 146 or m800 size pen with nice semiflexible nib - it's about the size of 823, maybe you'd have some money left to customize it :)

I'm a Platinum fan in that price range as well. Of course, you could dip your toe in the vintage market and get 2 fantastic pens for that price range. A Parker 75 would fit your budget, a Parker "51" pen and pencil set, even a Duofold could make the grade.

Buzz

I can see that you have no Italian pens. You should really try them. For that price, a beautiful Visconti (Van Goghs are marvelous), or perhaps a Delta would be good to consider. A Delta Fusion or a Italiana might be nice.

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Sailor Profit "B" nib running Van Dieman's Night - Shooting Star

I like the Pilot Custom 743 more than the 823; same nib and more nib choices and body styles and filling methods. But I like the Sailor 1911L and Platinum #3776 Century even more than my Pilot 743.

I'm actually seriously considering a Sailor 1911L demonstrator right now. It looks amazing!

I also like the Century 3776, which you should be able to find for around $70-75 US on amazon or ebay.

I've actually got the 3776 bourgeons on its way in a broad nib. I ordered it back in the beginning of November and it should be arriving any time now!

I can see that you have no Italian pens. You should really try them. For that price, a beautiful Visconti (Van Goghs are marvelous), or perhaps a Delta would be good to consider. A Delta Fusion or a Italiana might be nice.

Erick

Interesting. That Delta Fusion is impressive looking!

The more you ask, the more confusing you will get. Trust me, been there done that :lticaptd:

Try to get your hand on the pens and feel them, pick one that you like most. But for the price, i might go vintage or 2nd hand market for better options.

Well, I made my decision and went with a Sailor 1911 Large demonstrator with gold trim and a broad, 21K nib from a Japanese retailer on the 'Bay. It should arrive around the end of the month, but here's a product picture of this beauty:

post-126204-0-00123200-1483642586_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all your help and suggestions everyone!