Triumph 550 Or Targa Lacque?

gammada

Hello,

I recently purchased my first Sheaffer ever, a lovely Triumph 550 GT (I believe, please correct me if the model is wrong) in black with gold trim and matching ballpoint pen (the clip acts as the pen button). I've been dreaming of owning a vintage Sheaffer gold in-laid nib for quite a while but it was only a few days ago that I finally found this set that really pleased my eye.

However, after getting home from meeting with the seller, I found to my dismay that the converter was stuck into the section. The pen appears to have been not properly taken care of and I suspect that either, it never really got a flush, or the owner left ink to dry inside the pen. I left the it in a water/ammonia solution for around a day, and the converter it's starting to turn, but you'll get inky fingers wherever you touch it, meaning there was a lot of ink solidified in there.

To add insult to injury, I also found a crack on the barrel from where barrel and section meet going up to the blind cap for about an inch lengthwise. I didn't pay that much for the pen (roughly $35) but am feeling a bit disappointed by it. As such, I contacted the seller, and he's offering a swap for another Sheaffer pen he has on sale. It is a Targa Lacque with gold in-laid nib in Blue Ronce trim. It is much better looking that the pen I bought and it still has the original box it came in. It's slightly more expensive ($70) but I guess it will be better to invest in restoration or repairs with this pen, rather than to stay with the Triumph.

What do you think Sheaffer experts?

post-115758-0-55644300-1483167613_thumb.jpeg

post-115758-0-91738000-1483167643_thumb.jpeg

post-115758-0-59235800-1483167682_thumb.jpeg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gammada

• mitto

• corgicoupe

• terim

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I personally would have retained the pen mainly because I have manay barrels for the pen in a variety of colors. But if you dont have a replacement barrel you may opt for the Targa. The stuck converter may not be a problem. It would come off with good soak and flush.

Is the Targa a regular size or is it the slim targa? If it is the full/regular size and has the original squeeze converter, buy it. Try to bring down the price to around $50-60 and it would be a good deal. Targa is a good pen in comparison to the Triumph 550.

Khan M. Ilyas

This is the Targa. I believe is the regular size. The slim I've seen in pictures looks way thinner around the clip. I'm supposed to pick it up later today. It's got the original squeeze converter just like the Triumph.

I would like to keep both but am not sure I can get hold of another 550 to swap the barrel. Maybe repairing it but don't know if it's worth it.

post-115758-0-39544000-1483199855_thumb.jpeg

You confuse me - you mention both a cartridge and a blind cap. Blind cap refers to the grip knob at the back end of the barrel which is unscrewed and pulled out to fill a touchdown model. Cartridge pens don't have these. Rather, the barrel is one piece.

These are common pens, so barrels can be found. The nib units in black on the other hand, are getting to be harder to find, even with a steel nib. If you want to try repairing the crack yourself you can use Tenax 7-R or some related solvent available at hobby shops to fix it. Use a fine brush to drop the solvent in the crack, making sure it floods or wicks down the entire crack. Then clamp the crack closed with either a band clamp, or wrap it tightly with electrical tape. Let it cure at least 24 hours before you try to blend the repair. Given what you've paid for the Imperial, I'd be inclined to keep it, or see if you can get a little back on it. It's worth it for parts. Parts are good.

The Targa OTOH is worth quite a bit more, and that particular color is especially nice. I wouldn't let the Targa go.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

We can supply NOS barrels for the 550.....same barrels as used on the 440/330 pens.

http://www.peytonstreetpens.com/sheaffer-quasi-imperial-fountain-pen-replacement-barrels-330-or-440-new-old-stock.html

There you go! :thumbup:

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Are those pens like that black one actually called Triumph 550? I thought the Triumph referred to the conical nibs. I am cornfused.

I agree that these pens are worth keeping. I have a few of them, cartridge and Touchdown. I have had some for decades, They write better than the current stuff. They stay moist.

The Targa should be the same. The barrel shouldn't crack. My Targa, however, swelled up in the section, and I could never get the cap off again. Tried all the freezer things, and finally broke the cap off to find that the section had swelled for some reason. I have never bought another, but I found a new section and cap. These can be beautiful.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

The Imperial like 60s/70s' as well 90s' C/C pens were called Triumph (Imperial) regardless of these having inlaid nibs rather than triumph nibs.

Terim, however, calls these pens as the 'Quasi Imperials'.

Khan M. Ilyas

You confuse me - you mention both a cartridge and a blind cap. Blind cap refers to the grip knob at the back end of the barrel which is unscrewed and pulled out to fill a touchdown model. Cartridge pens don't have these. Rather, the barrel is one piece.

Sorry for the confusion, the name stuck from other pens I own.

These are common pens, so barrels can be found. The nib units in black on the other hand, are getting to be harder to find, even with a steel nib. If you want to try repairing the crack yourself you can use Tenax 7-R or some related solvent available at hobby shops to fix it.

Thank you for the repair instructions, really helpful!

The Targa OTOH is worth quite a bit more, and that particular color is especially nice. I wouldn't let the Targa go.

Did not Sir! Kept both pens! The Targa is absolutely beautiful and in pretty good condition. Is undergoing cleanup now, but I'll post nice pictures and writing samples as soon as it gets re-inked!

We can supply NOS barrels for the 550.....same barrels as used on the 440/330 pens.

Love the people here!!

Ordering one tomorrow. BTW the photography on your site is amazing! What a great store you have!

The Targa should be the same. The barrel shouldn't crack. My Targa, however, swelled up in the section, and I could never get the cap off again. Tried all the freezer things, and finally broke the cap off to find that the section had swelled for some reason. I have never bought another, but I found a new section and cap. These can be beautiful.

The Targa is absolutely beautiful! It feels way better (heft, materials) than the Triumph, Quasi-Imperial or whatever the name for the black pen is.

Thank you for the input!

I like the look of the Targas. I just look, though. For writing I like the lighter pens. Lots of people like the heavier pens, though.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

The stainless steel models are significantly lighter than those based on brass barrels and caps. E.g., the 1001.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

The mighty PFM is lighter even than the 1001 steel Targa. I am in pajaro's league of lighter pen lovers for writing purposes.

Khan M. Ilyas

My recent acquisition of a NN, to which I added a Connoisseur nib, may have me leaning that way too.

Robert Frost

I like the look of the Targas. I just look, though. For writing I like the lighter pens. Lots of people like the heavier pens, though.

I guess am somewhere in the middle. The Triumph is definitely lighter than the Targa, but not by much. Guess I will have to write extensively with it to test the waters.

The stainless steel models are significantly lighter than those based on brass barrels and caps. E.g., the 1001.

Are there any Triumph or Targas made in stainless steel?

Are there any Triumph or Targas made in stainless steel?

The Targa 1001 is stainless steel.

Robert Frost

The Targa 1001 is stainless steel.

And there are the Triumph (Quasi Imperial) 444, 444x, 444xg and 506 in steel (or chrome?).

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

And there are the Triumph (Quasi Imperial) 444, 444x, 444xg and 506 in steel (or chrome?).

Will dig into them! Thanks for the pointers!