Robert Oster Khaki

white_lotus

There was a big splashdown earlier this year with the Robert Oster Signature inks from Australia. Both Vanness and Anderson Pens carry the inks and Goulet Pens has the inks listed, but all out of stock, so they may well be waiting on their shipment to arrive. A number of people tried them and seemed to like them. Certainly it's a great boon for fountain pen users in Australia and Middle Earth (NZ) to have inks made right there in-country rather than expensively shipping them from the far corners of the world.

I wasn't able to dive in with these inks since I already have many inks I like and never get enough pen time as it is, but recently I got a few as part of any inky swap. Khaki was one of those inks. The ink reminds me a bit of the Bungbox 88 Green Tea or Shoshikhan "Deep in the Mountains" or even KWZ Old Gold, but it's not as bright as those inks, and it has more of a brown look in natural light, and more green in artificial light. It has absolutely no water resistance at all.

I didn't do as extensive writing about the ink as I just wasn't sure whether I really knew what to say. It seems like a perfectly decent ink. Maybe in a different pen this ink would have shined.

fpn_1482887661__dscn1740.jpg

fpn_1482888077__dscn1752.jpg

fpn_1482888104__dscn1728.jpg

fpn_1482888131__dscn1755.jpg

fpn_1482888158__dscn1763.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• white_lotus

• Barkingpig

• mehandiratta

• Chrissy

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the review. I think this is not an ink for me -- I dislike the color, and it also seems so light as to be fairly illegible. But seeing reviews of inks I don't want is often more useful than of those I do like.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I see nothing illegible about this ink, either in the pen used or in the larger nibs in which I have used same. I am "drawn" to these yellowish greens & therefore am very fond of the color; it was one of the first Robert Oster inks I wanted to order after I first saw a sample swab of it. Some of us like "one color & some another," & I am not using it for more than my writing pleasure so I don't have concerns about resistance or long term preservation. Since these inks have been available I have even decided to place an order for Barrier Reef Blue, which is a color I couldn't imagine wanting, but these inks will grow on you after you use them.

The reviews such as this make me expand my "comfort zone" & explore a bit, it is why I enjoy them so much. And as always I can appreciate an ink, even if I don't want it. This is a nice ink for me & I thank you for your presentation, review & introduction to others.

Thank you for all your comments. I think the ink isn't too light at all, and is reasonably legible. It's a different color, and since we all like different colors we have variety. Otherwise everyone would write with the one color and that might be boring.

?.......; it was one of the first Robert Oster inks I wanted to order after I first saw a sample swab of it. [....] Since these inks have been available I have even decided to place an order for Barrier Reef Blue, which is a color I couldn't imagine wanting, but these inks will grow on you after you use them.

I may have misunderstood your post, & apologies if I have, but Barrier Reef Blue isn't a Robert Oster ink. It's from Blackstone.

Verba volant, scripta manent

I may have misunderstood your post, & apologies if I have, but Barrier Reef Blue isn't a Robert Oster ink. It's from Blackstone.

You did not misunderstand me at all, I tend to ignore ALL blue inks when initially seeing them, so "one Aussie Blue ink, is NOT on my radar more than another," I am aware however of the retailers in the US that sells each brand, since I previously purchased Uluru Red when it was first available. That purchase was ALSO outside my "comfort zone," because I used to avoid red's as well. However after seeing beautiful examples & reviews here I find my horizon broadening; this month I have purchased six reds since receiving the MB Shakespeare ink.

It may also be true with more than 40 each, greens, browns & oranges, I find a "new color" easier to justify! I have just been noticing the "vibrant blues more of late, I even have a bottle of Aurora Blue "on it's way to me." I felt remiss to have ignored the brand after three years of seeing people extoll the virtues of the Aurora ink;if I don't LOVE it, I can @ least appreciate it's qualities.

Thank you for the cautionary direction, I surely need all the help I can get. With my recent order from Mr. Tanaka I barely knew what to call the "Shop name" for "Doujima Ryokkin," I settled on asking for "Style Dee Shop," received the ink & couldn't help but notice attribution to DELTA on the box. Likewise I ordered "Honey" from him several years ago despite feeling apprehensive about proper provenance of same. ( I am still unsure but LOVE the ink.) I frequently feel like I am fellow FPN member, pajaro's alter ego, "Amblin along like I had good sense."