Repairing A Montblanc Czar Nicolai

Uncial

I want to repair a Czar Nicolai (Montblanc), the 144 version with converter. The issue is that it writes - almost excessively wetly - then slowly dries out to a complete stop. I've tried cleaning, soaking, wet inks, dry inks, a different converter and even shimming. Is there anything else I should try before resorting to MB to replace the feed and possibly the nib also and /or section?

I have a feeling that it's a faulty section but can't figure out why it can run so wet and suddenly dry up. It's not ink tension in the converter. I suspect that the little section that goes up into the converter has a hole that is a touch too small to allow proper ink flow. Anyways, I hope someone can advise as returning to MB for adjustment usually means simply replacing all the parts with new and the nib has a nice bounce so I don't especially want that replaced with a new, firm 144 nib.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Erik Dalton

• Uncial

• pajaro

• farmdogfan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The 144 nib and feed are friction fit. You could pull them for cleaning. You could also use a syringe to flush the nib and feed. If you pull the nib and feed, please note that the feed and section are keyed, the longer half at the rear of the feed fitting into a recess in the section. If you send the pen to Montblanc, they will use your nib in a new pen or just replace bad parts. I would think that MB would charge well to fix this pen.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Have you used pen flush and a bulb syringe on the section? I find that a good soaking to soften things up, then running the fluid from the back end and also the front of the section works pretty well. If you do that and are able to get a good flow of fluid or water through the section both ways, that should solve your problem. If not, then i say send it to Montblanc and specify that you want to retain the original nib.

Bulb syringes are cheap. You can buy them in your local drug store. I have three, cut down and sized to fit over / into almost any section and nib. Not bad things to have for pen cleaning. If i had a Czar Nicolai I'd keep it spotless.

Here's a pic.

post-108126-0-93561700-1482188306_thumb.jpg

Have you used pen flush and a bulb syringe on the section? I find that a good soaking to soften things up, then running the fluid from the back end and also the front of the section works pretty well. If you do that and are able to get a good flow of fluid or water through the section both ways, that should solve your problem. If not, then i say send it to Montblanc and specify that you want to retain the original nib.

Bulb syringes are cheap. You can buy them in your local drug store. I have three, cut down and sized to fit over / into almost any section and nib. Not bad things to have for pen cleaning. If i had a Czar Nicolai I'd keep it spotless.

Here's a pic.

+ 1 for this. I would try using one of these to clean it out first.

Yes, I would flush the pen first, as I suggested.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Thanks, I'll give it a go. I do have a sonic cleaner but I fear using that on pens that have gold plating as I've been told it can strip it off.

Even with gold plating? I read somewhere that it can strip off gold plating. I've tried removing the nib and feed but it is very securely in there so I would have to put the whole grip section in which would include the two tone nib and gold plated rings.

Most ultrasonic bath have a plastic basket that won't react to your pen. For a rare pen like yours, I would put in the bath by itself, with nothing to rub up against it. If you have a larger unit you can place the section in a glass custard cup in the water filled bath. Put your pen flush or water in the cup and place your section in it. Turn on the machine and let it rip. Use water to start with and, if you must go to pen flush make your own solution with no more than 10% non sudsing ammonia.

When you take it out of the bath and use your bulb syringes you can use water or pen flush. When you are getting a goof flow through, rinse well with water, stand up on a paper towel to dry.