Anyone Here Has Already Tried The 14K Gold Nibs Offered By Kaweco?

gammada

Got their newsletter announcing the availability of 14k gold nibs for the AL-Sport, Brass-Sport, AC-Sport and Lilliput pens. I would love to fit one such nib to my AL-Sport but wonder how they feel like.

Anyone's got the chance to test them?

Edited by gammada

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gammada

• WaskiSquirrel

• migo984

• Barkingpig

Interested to hear an evaluation. This might make the Lilliput worthwhile.

Looking for:
Mid-century and modernist Pelikans & MBs

Gourmet pens, and SBRE Brown has review of 14k BB nib. The pen habit has a review of 14k B nib.

To be honest, I am somewhat perplexed on why Kaweco sends a news letter about nibs which they have had for few years.

You do not have a right to post. You do not have a right to a lawyer. Do you understands these rights you do not have?

Kaweco Supra (titanium B), Al-Sport (steel BB).

Parker: Sonnet (dimonite); Frontier GT; 51 (gray); Vacumatic (amber).

Pelikan: m600 (BB); Rotring ArtPen (1,9mm); Rotring Rive; Cult Pens Mini (the original silver version), Waterman Carene (ultramarine F)

Gourmet pens, and SBRE Brown has review of 14k BB nib. The pen habit has a review of 14k B nib.

To be honest, I am somewhat perplexed on why Kaweco sends a news letter about nibs which they have had for few years.

Just checked the videos, thanks! Am definitely getting one such nib for my AL-Sport.

Also puzzled by their announcement. Guess they are more readily available now.

Well, this thread wouldn't have happened without the newsletter. So it could be just advertising, attention getting.

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

In my experience, these solid gold nibs for the Sport are so small that there is no significant difference from the standard well-tuned steel nibs regarding the actual writing performance. I can hardly feel any more line width variation or more softness in the gold nibs. For that absurd price (really small nibs!) I do not recommend the 14K nibs for the general Sport user. Other thing is, of course, if, following your personal taste, you feel you just MUST fit your favourite Sport with this (apparent) upgrade.

plumista

Got their newsletter announcing the availability of 14k gold nibs for the AL-Sport, Brass-Sport, AC-Sport and Lilliput pens. I would love to fit one such nib to my AL-Sport but wonder how they feel like.

Anyone's got the chance to test them?

I tried it and reviewed it in a Kaweco Brass Sport. Here

Kaweco now supply the two-tone 14ct nib in other tip sizes. When I tried one, they only had it in M.

I purchased one of the gold nibs in broad for my Dia2. It was frankly a much better writer than the regular broad the pen came with. However, it also has a very different shape: it is much more stublike. I didn't notice any flex beyond what the steel nib has. I prefer the gold nib in a broad. I don't know what the other nib sizes in gold would offer and, to be honest, I'm not sure that I would bother with a gold nib in Kaweco's low cost pens.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

• 2 weeks later...

I tried it and reviewed it in a Kaweco Brass Sport. Here

Kaweco now supply the two-tone 14ct nib in other tip sizes. When I tried one, they only had it in M.

Gorgeous review. Considering the price of the nib, I'd better spend that kind of money in getting me a Brass Sport or maybe even a Liliput. Having recently gone down the rabbit hole of vintage pens, I'm pretty sure the nib will be no match to those on my Parker's flex or my Sheaffers springy/ stubby in-laids.

In my experience, these solid gold nibs for the Sport are so small that there is no significant difference from the standard well-tuned steel nibs regarding the actual writing performance. I can hardly feel any more line width variation or more softness in the gold nibs. For that absurd price (really small nibs!) I do not recommend the 14K nibs for the general Sport user. Other thing is, of course, if, following your personal taste, you feel you just MUST fit your favourite Sport with this (apparent) upgrade.

plumista

Agreed!

I purchased one of the gold nibs in broad for my Dia2. It was frankly a much better writer than the regular broad the pen came with. However, it also has a very different shape: it is much more stublike. I didn't notice any flex beyond what the steel nib has. I prefer the gold nib in a broad. I don't know what the other nib sizes in gold would offer and, to be honest, I'm not sure that I would bother with a gold nib in Kaweco's low cost pens.

At $90 the AL-Sport Stonewashed is not particularly cheap but spending the same amount for just a tiny nib that probably won't be noticeably different, moots the point. BTW how is the Dia2?

At $90 the AL-Sport Stonewashed is not particularly cheap but spending the same amount for just a tiny nib that probably won't be noticeably different, moots the point. BTW how is the Dia2?

I do like the Dia2. It has the feel of a quality pen. Once the nib thing was worked out, it became a good writer. It's not my favorite pen, but I seem to ink it up fairly often.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

plumista

I have one on my Amber Art Sports - such a lovely finish deserves a gold nib - but I agree with plumista's assessment. They are over-priced, rigid & offer no discernible benefits with regard writing experience. Edited by migo984

Verba volant, scripta manent

I bought same to use on my Amber Art Sport as well, I do not see any significant difference either, but always thought of having it stubbed to achieve the effect I wanted. In the meantime I have ordered & enjoyed the 1.5 calligraphy nibs on other Sports & admit to preferring these to the gold nib. I presume the nibs are not removable so I just have a black section instead of the colored section that came with each pen; it doesn't bother me a bit on these pens, & I was happy to find the gold nib for the Art Sport after coveting, searching for & almost giving up on, until I finally found SBRE Brown selling his.

Edited by Barkingpig

• 2 weeks later...

I bought same to use on my Amber Art Sport as well, I do not see any significant difference either, but always thought of having it stubbed to achieve the effect I wanted. In the meantime I have ordered & enjoyed the 1.5 calligraphy nibs on other Sports & admit to preferring these to the gold nib. I presume the nibs are not removable so I just have a black section instead of the colored section that came with each pen; it doesn't bother me a bit on these pens, & I was happy to find the gold nib for the Art Sport after coveting, searching for & almost giving up on, until I finally found SBRE Brown selling his.

Can you just pulled the nib/ feed out of the section? I have done so in my Classic and Skyline pens.