Miles Davis Jazz Blue - Montblanc Le Ink

visvamitra

I believe Montblanc company doesn't need introduction here. Each year Montblanc offers few LE inks. Their evil-minded marketing team creates interesting colors that soon become unavailable. Not all of them are great but almost all of LE ink become sought after after they're gone and are sold for outrageous prices.

Personally I have mixed feelings about idea of LE inks but I enjoy some of them a lot. Montblanc LE red inks were great (Winter Glow can easily concur with Maruzen Nihombashi Akane; it's not the same and but still amazing). Sometimes though, Montblanc LE inks leave you with unanswered question - WTH?

fpn_1481972539__milesdavis_box1.jpg

One of such strange creatures is new Miles Davis Jazz Blue Ink. I'm not really into jazz music although I find Panthalassa and Panthalassa remixes by Bill Laswell amazing piece of music. I can't help but imagine Master Davis asking himself What on Earth does this pale blue has in common with my jazz music?

You see - whatever your taste in music is like you'll admit that MIles Davis music didn't lack character. Montblanc Jazz Blue ink lacks character. It's pale, boring, and flat.

That's the way you pay hommage to a genius:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy8JIgG8r1Q&index=1&list=PLVxlwX2yfkrL5trfnaEpe9qyK7-2edmnI

If however you use wet nibs and enjoy subdued colors you may actually enjoy it. The ink behaves pretty well - it's quite wet and the flow is rather nice. I've tried it in five pens and in all of them except for Platinum Preppy 0.2 mm the flow was satisfying. Saturation is low. The ink doesn't offer water resistance.

If you collect MB inks, enjoy pale colors (that remain legible in most situations) you may consider getting this one. On the other hand if you look for premium performance in premium priced inks this one is not worthy (of your time and money). The choice is yours :)

Bottle

fpn_1481973360__milesdavis_bottle_2.jpg

Ink splash

fpn_1481973411__milesdavis_is.jpg

Drops of ink on kitchen towel

fpn_1481973421__milesdavis_rk.jpg

Software ID

fpn_1481973438__milesdavis_l_3.jpg

Color range

fpn_1481973453__milesdavis_l_4.jpg

Tomoe River, Kaweco Classic Sport, broad nib

fpn_1481973472__milesdavis_t_1.jpg

fpn_1481973496__milesdavis_t_2.jpg

fpn_1481973517__milesdavis_t_3.jpg

Leuchtturm 1917, Kaweco Classic Sport, broad nib

fpn_1481973535__milesdavis_l_1.jpg

fpn_1481973557__milesdavis_l_2.jpg

fpn_1481973575__milesdavis_l_5.jpg

Oxford, Hero 9300, medium nib

fpn_1481973604__milesdavis_oxford.jpg

Oxford Hero 5280, stub 1,5

fpn_1481973620__milesdavis_oxf.jpg

Copy paper, Hero 9300, medium nib

fpn_1481973658__milesdavis_cp_1.jpg

fpn_1481973669__milesdavis_cp_2.jpg

Water resistance

fpn_1481973684__milesdavis_h2o.jpg

Edited by visvamitra

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• visvamitra

• Uncial

• migo984

• lgsoltek

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

While I agree that this ink flows well, the color is so washed-out that I cannot imagine writing with it or comfortably reading anything written with it. My pens are all fitted with Fine nibs. This undoubtedly makes the ink even more washed-out. What was Montblanc thinking? This is the harshest reaction I have ever had to an ink.

Steve P.

I think Montblank have got it wrong with their 2 L.E. inks this autumn. This one is the worst, and I won't be buying it, but I was also disappointed with the one I did buy, Lucky Orange.

Verba volant, scripta manent

Thank you for the review, especially the music (con)tribute!

This ink is so not jazz, so not Miles Davis, not... nothing.

We should go to Inky Thoughts and think how Miles Davis Kind of Blue should look like.

LETTER EXCHANGE PARTICIPANT

That's good idea. Let's play an album and think about it :)

Thoroughly agree with that idea. B) Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

MB so totally dropped the ball on this one. Nothing about this ink reminds me of Miles Davis, jazz, or the kind of blue that the album refers to. This ink is not going to be another Racing Green. I'm all in favor hiring the handicapped but not​ to concoct ink and name them especially if they are colorblind :unsure:

:)

I'm really curious about Lucky Orange but after Migo comment I fear it can turn out to be another disappointment :/

It's a pleasant orange shade but has really nothing to make it stand out. It's an orange with that flat characteristic "plastic" look, similar to Omas Orange.

Verba volant, scripta manent

I'm with other folks on this one. It's a pretty color, but too light to be legible. :-( Well, seeing reviews of inks I *don't* want is often more useful (and *much* better for my bottom line, especially since I still have to buy Christmas presents for most of my in-laws).

Thanks for the review, as always.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

... Montblank ...

Nice comment migo, Montblanc fired one here.

I would have trouble not writing over the words again to make them clearer. Perhaps it is good for pen drawings.

X

I kind of like it. I don't love it, but I do like it. I can see this being an enormous hit in parts of Asia where very pale watery inks are favoured. It feels fresh and in a very wet nib can be perfectly legible.

Thanks for the review, Vis, which I thoroughly agree with. I might, however, consider buying it just for the awesome box. I love the Miles Davis silhouette in blue. Very cool.

Given how boldly Miles lived (his music, his clothes, his women, his outspokenness, etc.), this bland color isn't even worthy of being called "Kind of Blue".

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde