Shaffer Skrip Red To Be Discontinued

DeusImperator

Hi ParkerDuofold,

Sorry I've been so busy lately that I've not had time to look at this thread. For blood-red I mix 3 ml Waterman Violet, 3 ml Waterman Havana, and 38 ml Waterman Red, also 10 ml distilled water and 3 drops Ivory Dishwashing Liquid, dripped in from a small veterinary syringe.

The purple makes it a more intense red, and the havana darkens it. I add the extra surfactant to make Waterman ink wetter, and the water to help avoid clogging.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ParkerDuofold

• virgilio

• TSherbs

• Freddy

Hi ParkerDuofold,

Sorry I've been so busy lately that I've not had time to look at this thread. For blood-red I mix 3 ml Waterman Violet, 3 ml Waterman Havana, and 38 ml Waterman Red, also 10 ml distilled water and 3 drops Ivory Dishwashing Liquid, dripped in from a small veterinary syringe.

The purple makes it a more intense red, and the havana darkens it. I add the extra surfactant to make Waterman ink wetter, and the water to help avoid clogging.

Hi Virgilio,

Thank you much for the easy to follow formula; I appreciate it. At least now I don't feel compelled to dip into my life savings to buy a lifetime supply of Sheaffer Red while it's still available. :D

Thanks again,

Anthony

Hi ParkerDuofold,

That sounds good. Do you have a swab of the color in a photo?

The last time I checked this thread, someone said that the claim that Skrip 'Red' was going to be discontinued was false. Does anyone know for sure?

That sounds good. Do you have a swab of the color in a photo?

Yes, please share if you can!

James

Hello all,

I think the problem may be that the ORIGINAL Sheaffer red is being discontinued. I received a bottle of it today from Streetfair, (a well established e-bay stationier), and the color is now an orange-red; in fact, my Waterman red is now redder than Sheaffer's.

I think that is the problem: the red we all know and love has been changed. Thanks to Virgilio; at least we can mix our own blend to duplicate the original color, (which I haven't got around to trying yet).

Sorry, folks. It is what it is...YMMV...because I don't know how many bottles of the original blend are left out there in the wild. :(

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

The last time I checked this thread, someone said that the claim that Skrip 'Red' was going to be discontinued was false. Does anyone know for sure?

Yes, please share if you can!

Re: Skrip Red Discontinued

Tittle-Tattle. Same stuff since '03.

Nice Blood Red Mix with photograph

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/223215-venous-blood-red-mix/

There are others.

Fred

two plus two equal four

fact or fiction

Redactin' Don't hold your breath

Edited by Freddy

Re: Skrip Red Discontinued

Tittle-Tattle. Same stuff since '03.

Nice Blood Red Mix with photograph

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/223215-venous-blood-red-mix/

There are others.

Fred

two plus two equal four

fact or fiction

Redactin' Don't hold your breath

Hi Fred,

That post is 6 years old. It ain't blood red anymore and the bottle I received yesterday is the living proof. Have you bought a new bottle lately?

They've either changed the formula or they put out a very large bum batch... and I'm not the only one... read thru this thread; several have complained about a change in color. My Waterman Audacious Red is redder than the Sheaffer's I just got.

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Hi Fred,

That post is 6 years old. It ain't blood red anymore and the bottle I received yesterday is the living proof.

They've either changed the formula or they put out a very large bum batch... and I'm not the only one... read thru this thread; several have complained about a change in color. My Waterman Audacious Red is redder than the Sheaffer's I just got.

- Anthony

I never said it was blood red....provided a link to a blood red mixture. Some folks seem to think it was.

OP post 1 Starts rumor. Head's up....Shaffer Skrip Red ink "is to be discontinued"

Re Memo.........

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/316352-shaffer-skrip-red-to-be-discontinued/?p=3748718

Fred post 8 I request memo.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/316352-shaffer-skrip-red-to-be-discontinued/?p=3749725

Virgilio post 10 Claims. "Skrip Black and Red are now dry and scratchy." "Just a

guess."

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/316352-shaffer-skrip-red-to-be-discontinued/?p=3749763

Bookman post 27 "It goes on orange-ish red"

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/316352-shaffer-skrip-red-to-be-discontinued/?p=3763342

Virgilio post 29 Now says. "old formula Skrip Red was blood-red"

"The later is indeed closer to orange, sanguine if you will"

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/316352-shaffer-skrip-red-to-be-discontinued/?p=3763495

Bookman post 30 "Reports of its demise might be premature"

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/316352-shaffer-skrip-red-to-be-discontinued/?p=3763515

Tsherbs post 31 to the OP "How did you get this information?"

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/316352-shaffer-skrip-red-to-be-discontinued/?p=3763551

Minty post 35 No attribution re Demise of said ink. Who wrote to Sheaffer/Cross

Reply....No plans to discontinue red ink......................................

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/316352-shaffer-skrip-red-to-be-discontinued/?p=3764213

OP post 40 No information other than staff gossip and interpretation of that

by the OP.....

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/316352-shaffer-skrip-red-to-be-discontinued/?p=3764213

I stand by what I said and your judgment will perhaps..differ.

No problemo..Anthony..

Still your friend and mine

Fred

Edited by Freddy

For some years my regular red ink has been a 1:1 = Noodler's Red : Noodler's Red Devil mixture. I use it fairly frequently to mark up what I scribble.

Eons ago I bought two bottles of ink. They were my second and third ink bottles that I'd bought all on my own and which I got to have a say over. I bought them together. They were Sheaffer Skrip Jet Black and Sheaffer Red. I've still got pages marked up with Sheaffer Red in a journal or notebook or whatever it was from 49 years ago. The ink's still red.

Even though I'm using that Noodler's mixture above, which will leave a red ink on the page no matter what, I am still glad that I have about a 60% full Skrip-Well bottle of Sheaffer Skrip Red "Made in Canada." I've definitely had thoughts about mixing that stuff with a thing or two.

About the "blood red" inks. I'm not sure if this happened with the above mixture or a mixture of another pair of Noodler's red inks, but I got it mixed and then went to put some into a cartridge. Something went wrong with that process and I got a flow of the red ink mixture right over my finger as I tried to fill the cartridge. Wow :yikes: ! It was blood red enough that I got a real "red alert" shock from looking at it, having seen my own blood flowing a bit freely at times. I must say that blue, black, green and even brown inks have never elicited that level of emotion from me :D ,

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

Hmm. If I ever equated sanguine with orangish-red, then I mispoke. I am not as young as I used to be. There are many shades of red. In English we have borrowed most of these terms from French. Scarlet (écarlate) is bright red, crimson ( cramoisi) is dark red, and sanguine (sanguin) is blood-red, from sang, French for blood, or Latin sanguo (genitive sanguinis) blood.

I am going to experiment with some bulk McCormick Food Coloring I got off of amazon recently, and try to put together a formula for sanguine from the primary colors red, yellow and blue. The tertiary color brown has more yellow, while black has more red. Sanguin should require more yellow and especially blue than medium red.

Of course you also have to add a fungicide and a surfactant to food coloring to make it a very usable ink, as well as some distilled water probably. I have just recently learned from the experts that glycerine is also helpful to make ink smoother and to avoid the pen drying out too quickly when uncapped.

Hmm. If I ever equated sanguine with orangish-red, then I mispoke. I am not as young as I used to be. There are many shades of red. In English we have borrowed most of these terms from French. Scarlet (écarlate) is bright red, crimson ( cramoisi) is dark red, and sanguine (sanguin) is blood-red, from sang, French for blood, or Latin sanguo (genitive sanguinis) blood.

I am going to experiment with some bulk McCormick Food Coloring I got off of amazon recently, and try to put together a formula for sanguine from the primary colors red, yellow and blue. The tertiary color brown has more yellow, while black has more red. Sanguin should require more yellow and especially blue than medium red.

Of course you also have to add a fungicide and a surfactant to food coloring to make it a very usable ink, as well as some distilled water probably. I have just recently learned from the experts that glycerine is also helpful to make ink smoother and to avoid the pen drying out too quickly when uncapped.

There you go again..Talkin' off the top of your head......

As the man said "simply not based on fact or reality."

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/312111-how-do-you-saturate-a-feed-after-installing-a-cartridge/?p=3761406

I called you out on a number of "things" and folks are still waitin' on your

presentation {s}.....Folks don't hold your breath.....

You...Tenacious with no cannolis.....Yup that's the ticket

Fascinatin'....Ain't it.........................................

Fred

Edited by Freddy

***They've either changed the formula or they put out a very large bum batch... and I'm not the only one... read thru this thread; several have complained about a change in color. My Waterman Audacious Red is redder than the Sheaffer's I just got.****

BUMMER

It is interesting that different people have different ideas about exactly what blood-red and sanguine mean. Fresh blood and dried blood are not the same color, for one thing. Also, the adjective sanguine in English means a brighter red than sanguin usually means in French. But when I say blood-red, I mean a red darker than crimson, but nonetheless rather bright, not of a dull color. Dried blood is almost brown in color, not really sanguine. That is why I like to add not only brown, but also purple/violet to Watherman Red.

It is interesting that different people have different ideas about exactly what blood-red and sanguine mean. Fresh blood and dried blood are not the same color, for one thing. Also, the adjective sanguine in English means a brighter red than sanguin usually means in French. But when I say blood-red, I mean a red darker than crimson, but nonetheless rather bright, not of a dull color. Dried blood is almost brown in color, not really sanguine. That is why I like to add not only brown, but also purple/violet to Watherman Red.

Havein' fun....Absolutely Fascinatin'.....

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/316352-shaffer-skrip-red-to-be-discontinued/?p=3776224

Amazin' ain't it....Remember your posts in the Anne Frank's Diary

They were removed....But we have a copy....Interestin' stuff....

Fred

Edited by Freddy

A nice red but not my favorite. I gave the bottle away figuring a couple packs of carts would be enough.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

• 1 month later...

I was at the store today and found the Skrip red in stock. It appears that the distributor dropped the ink but the store was able to source it from another distributor. According to the store managerm former distributor had indicated that Skrip was out of production but this is not the case. Mea culpa to all those who were misled.

p

This better be true -- it just cost me $100.

I went to Vanness to buy a bottle -- and got another $90 worth of other inks.

Well, tell us what else you got! :D

Just a head's up. Shaffer Skrip Red ink is to be discontinued. A memo was sent to stores in Canada indicating that this ink will no longer be available.

Find out how to spell sheaffer