Shaffer Skrip Red To Be Discontinued

DeusImperator

Really? I have not had any solid info coming out of Sheaffer since their 2016 catalog...

Any other news coming out of them? Did they move to Rhode Island or something?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ParkerDuofold

• virgilio

• TSherbs

• Freddy

I guess this was inevitable since Cross took over. I am surprised only the red is being discontinued. Since Cross is / was selling rebranded Pelikan inks, why keep the Sheaffer operation in Slovenia going?

Other threads on here suggest the new Cross colors are made in China - which would probably signal the end of the Slovenia operation altogether. Time will tell!

It really is too bad, as it's the only Sheaffer color I like and use regularly.

Sure, that is a possibility but you miss out on the mad scientist aspect when you can mix your own

Yes I like the mad scientist effect too. I'm currently trying to mix a dark red too.

I chatted with a rep at Goulet a few days ago and she had no clue about this; they haven't heard a thing.

I'm beginning to suspect the problem may only exist in Canada; either some draconian environmental law or the distributor decided to drop it or something along those lines.

Anyone else hear anything concrete from an American dealer?

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

The most recent bottle of Sheaffer Skrip Red that I bought (about two months ago) yields an ink with a distinct orange tint. It goes on orange-ish red, dries that way, and stays that way. I've never seen this before. Sheaffer Skrip Red has always been a true red to my eyes, a classic red. If my current ink is what Sheaffer Skrip Red is going to look like from now on, I would say they could discontinue it right now. Except it might be nice to have a orange-ish red on the market that doesn't show-through aggressively, or bleed-through when it doesn't, and doesn't cause nib-creep.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

The most recent bottle of Sheaffer Skrip Red that I bought (about two months ago) yields an ink with a distinct orange tint. It goes on orange-ish red, dries that way, and stays that way. I've never seen this before. Sheaffer Skrip Red has always been a true red to my eyes, a classic red. If my current ink is what Sheaffer Skrip Red is going to look like from now on, I would say they could discontinue it right now. Except it might be nice to have a orange-ish red on the market that doesn't show-through aggressively, or bleed-through when it doesn't, and doesn't cause nib-creep.

Hello Bookman,

This would be a real shame and maybe that's what the letter to the Canadian dealers meant, i.e., Sheaffer red (as we know it) is being dropped.

Because I just chatted with Katy at Goulet just an hour ago and they've heard NOTHING about it being discontinued.

I hope I don't have to start looking for a replacement red now. :(

- Anthony

The old formula Skrip Red was blood-red, sanguine if you will. The later is indeed closer to orange. Quink Red has always been an unpleasant bright red color, sort of like paint. I like blood-red ink for notes. But as I say, Waterman Red becomes a nice blood-red if you add just 3 or 4 ml Waterman Havana to the bottle. I also add a little Waterman Violet/Purple.

The old formula Skrip Red was blood-red, sanguine if you will. The later is indeed closer to orange. Quink Red has always been an unpleasant bright red color, sort of like paint. I like blood-red ink for notes. But as I say, Waterman Red becomes a nice blood-red if you add just 3 or 4 ml Waterman Havana to the bottle. I also add a little Waterman Violet/Purple.

Putting the work-around of ink-mixing to the side for the moment, I have not found a red that does what Sheaffer Skrip Red historically does—provide a true red color in a well-behaved ink. I like Diamine Red Dragon quite a bit. I like it and use it as an everyday red. But it doesn't say "Christmas" or "red-letter date" like Sheaffer Skrip Red. I'm not ready to throw a handful of dirt on it or write its obituary. Reports of its demise might be premature. Sheaffer Skrip Red might be alive and well and looking the same as always (um, er, except for virgilio's and mine). But I rely on Sheaffer Skrip Red. I don't really have a backup I find acceptable.

Edited by Bookman

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

Just a head's up. Shaffer Skrip Red ink is to be discontinued. A memo was sent to stores in Canada indicating that this ink will no longer be available.

How did you get this information?

Hello Virgillio,

Thank you for this. Is the purple necessary; if so, how much? (Fortunately, I have all three colors on hand).

- Anthony

For a true "Red Letter Day" red, I've been pretty partial to Waterman's Red. My bottle is many years old (first bottle of ink I ever bought), though I think the current "Audacious Red" is still the same.

In the first place, the guy who originally posted this cannot even spell "Sheaffer." So how can you trust the veracity of such a post? It does not even have attribution. Second, instead of just making up things to post, I wrote Sheaffer/Cross directly. They replied there are no plans to discontinue red ink.

​Don't start vast projects with half-vast ideas.

In the first place, the guy who originally posted this cannot even spell "Sheaffer." So how can you trust the veracity of such a post? It does not even have attribution. Second, instead of just making up things to post, I wrote Sheaffer/Cross directly. They replied there are no plans to discontinue red ink.

Seems someone is Canada got rid of his entire red stock!! :lticaptd:

WOW. So they aren't stopping it after all.

...They replied there are no plans to discontinue red ink...

Hello Minty,

The objections you raise, I'll grant you; when I spoke to Goulet, (twice now), they hadn't heard anything about it.

However, by the same token, "red ink" is pretty ambiguous. Did you, or did they, specify "Sheaffer Red," using the current formula?

I don't doubt they'll (Cross-Sheaffer) keep selling some kind of red ink, but will it be the same?

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

I don't doubt they'll keep selling some kind of red ink, but will it be the same?

- Anthony

Right. A formula change would be newsworthy - and better if it were announced as such.

I love this.

Edited by Manalto

James

• 2 weeks later...

I have no more information other than what was provided to me by the staff at the store which prompted me to pick up two bottles., I do not know when this would take effect but I took it to mean that such was the case already at the time.