Lamy Al-Star - The Well Dressed Up Version Of The Lamy Safari

Aditkamath26

Lamy Al-Star – the well dressed up version of the Lamy Safari

The Lamy Al-Star is my first pen in my pen collection. I have had other fountain pens before but not something so good to start a collection with. I saw it at WHSmith in a mall here in Abu Dhabi and my dad bought it as a birthday gift for me (I am now fourteen. It was my thirteenth birthday gift). Now enough talk, on to the review………

Design, build and quality- 9/10

The design is modern which is super classy according to me. Mine is the Ocean Blue color. I also so the Lamy Safari and wasn’t quite interested in the plastic finish (the Dark Lilac version wasn’t released then, which is a superb finish). I also saw the Vista which I didn’t like at all as I hated demonstrators then. Now I love them. The build is also great, there are no flaws. The quality is where I have reduced some marks. The finish can come off if you are not careful. I f I had to do it again, I would get the graphite version or the purple one.

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb457/Adit1026/IMG_9061_zpsxprzozlt.jpg

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb457/Adit1026/IMG_9062_zpsyrmqf6ni.jpg

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb457/Adit1026/IMG_9058_zpsxuplicts.jpg

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb457/Adit1026/IMG_9057_zpsyj77kzik.jpg only branding on the pen

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb457/Adit1026/IMG_9056_zpsgj9jehsp.jpg

Comfort-9.5/10

The triangular section was a bit uncomfortable to hold and posting does change the balance. I have got accustomed to it but it might be problematic for others.

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb457/Adit1026/IMG_9051_zps5deoxcx5.jpg

Filling system- 9.5/10

The filling system is a c/c type filling system. My Al-Star came with neither cartridge nor converter so I had to buy it as well. The converter works fine.

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb457/Adit1026/IMG_9063_zpsc7gcbala.jpg

Nib-9.5/10

The stainless-steel medium is a superb nib. Originally it was dry and had feedback. I increased the ink flow and smoothened the nib a bit. And now it is a stellar performer. Originally, I didn’t like the nib a lot but now I love it. I love the little feedback it gives.

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb457/Adit1026/IMG_9060_zpslw0dzho5.jpg

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb457/Adit1026/4921f1bd-0e44-48e0-9308-56eb0959269c_zpsrqnfkpwz.jpg

Price-8/10

I bought my Al-Star for roughly around 45 dollars plus a 5 more for the converter. The packaging for this price isn’t great. It is just a cardboard box which is quite thin. I discarded it when there was a tear in it so no photos.

Final score 91/100 (out of hundred only for this one)

I enjoy this pen a lot. There are some flaws but nothing is perfect.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aditkamath26

• Sailor Kenshin

• MuddyWaters

• IndianElf

My son's girlfriend has an Al-Star, in Black Purple. I hadn't really appreciated these pens until I had this one in hand. The colour and depth of anodising is incredible. And the extra weight makes a pleasant change from my all plastic Safaris.

I think your Ocean Blue would go very nicely with Lamy Blue ink. Get a few cartridges if you don't want to spring for a whole bottle.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Really nice and clear review. Thanks for posting. I tried one of these in the store yesterday and just loved the feel of it on the section. The aluminum just has that something extra in the feel that the Safari doesn't have.

Too bad about the feedback you were getting. The one I tried in the store was a M and quite smooth. How did you make your pen wetter and smoother?

Great first review. Great handwriting as well. The Lamy is a nice entry level fountain pen.

I have already done a review before- on the Parker Urban. The Lamy is great for me

Great first review. Great handwriting as well. The Lamy is a nice entry level fountain pen.

Thanks about the handwriting.

My son's girlfriend has an Al-Star, in Black Purple. I hadn't really appreciated these pens until I had this one in hand. The colour and depth of anodising is incredible. And the extra weight makes a pleasant change from my all plastic Safaris.

I think your Ocean Blue would go very nicely with Lamy Blue ink. Get a few cartridges if you don't want to spring for a whole bottle.

I really want some nice bright blue. Lamy would be good but I live in Abu Dhabi, the capital of the United Arab Emirates and unfortunately there aren't any pen shops here. For anything, I have to order online which is gonna cost a lot considering shipping from USA or UK. Or I have to go to Dubai (which I don't often). That is why I bought a bottle of Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue ink (I got the 60 ml bottle for 2 dollars) because I found it similar in colour to the Lamy. I would love Diamine Majestic Blue, Private Reserve Electric DC Blue or J Herbin Eclat de Saphir. The iroshizukus or Montblancs or Auroras and all are way outta my budget.

The anodising is great. I have held a Safari but found the AL-Star more comfortable

Really nice and clear review. Thanks for posting. I tried one of these in the store yesterday and just loved the feel of it on the section. The aluminum just has that something extra in the feel that the Safari doesn't have.

Too bad about the feedback you were getting. The one I tried in the store was a M and quite smooth. How did you make your pen wetter and smoother?

SBREBrown has a video on making a pen wetter in seconds, basically you have to keep your nib on some hard surface, preferably your own thumb and then press down a bit. The tines are gonna spread a little and the nib will be wetter. And Jennifer from BestFountainPen has a method of smoothening nibs on the back of a cup. In this, you need a coffee cup and when you keep it upside down, the surface that usually touches the table or whatever will be slightly rough. Draw figure 8s and individual lines(horizontal strokes, vertical strokes, diagonal strokes) on this rough surface until required level of smoothness is achieved. Be careful though, it can be overdone. So keep testing your pen repeatedly during the process.

Guys how do you take a particular section out of a comment and quote on that?

Use the quote function, and you can either erase parts of the quote in your post, or bold relevant ones, like I did above.

Use the quote function, and you can either erase parts of the quote in your post, or bold relevant ones, like I did above.

Thanks

Absolutely concur! Especially about the handwriting.

I'm sending you a private message about Lamy cartridges.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Absolutely concur! Especially about the handwriting.

I'm sending you a private message about Lamy cartridges.

Thanks. Are you sending me the private messages?

I agree that one of the nicest features is the added weight. My first thought when holding my first safari was "this is way too light".