2017 Philadelphia Pen Show

rajesh06

My understanding is that some people aren't attending for the simple reason of the risks associated with traveling to the show. Their is not only the risk of personal harm, but that of the losses possible due to the fees and costs associated with setting up at the show. If the show management wants to continue to have a show in a Northern State, in Winter, and they want a lot of exhibitors then they could reduce the cost of setting up, offer rebates due to possible weather and travel difficulties, relocate to a more accessible and lower cost location and/or provide low or no cost accommodations. If I was an exhibitor I wouldn't be willing to charge the prices I would need to charge in order to adress the costs associated with the unique factors which create the potential for significant financial loss and so I would chose to pass on attending as well.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kolagnostos

• Shrimpkin1

• Florida Blue

• inkstainedruth

Sadly, I've learned that Bryant/Chatterly Luxuries won't be attending this year. But Mario/Toys from the Attic will be there and should have some irresistible items available...

The list is pretty good this year and the wether is showing in the 60's on Friday and 40's Sat & Sun so it will be a stellar show!

Plus a big meet/greet after the show Saturday night. Though we will be hanging out after the show Friday as well lol.

An Tran

Anderson Pens

Andrew Beliveau

Bertram’s Inkwell

Bill Weakley

Bittner

Bob the Sheaffer Pen Guy

Capital Pen Company

Charm City Pens

Cliff Harrington

Coles of London

Donald Haupt

Engel Pens

Federalist Pens and Paper

Fountain Pen Day

Fountain Pen Hospital

Franklin-Christoph

Fred Huganir

Go Pens

GW Pens

Heritage & Style

Hirsch Davis Pens

Jonathan Veley

Kenro

La Belle Epoque

Laban USA

Lada Pen Company

Lenny Finkel

Menash Signatures

Michael Ward

MikesPenTurningZ

Modern Chocolatier

Monomoy Vintage Pen

NibGrinder

NYCPens

Parker “51” .com

Paul Erano

Penkala Pens

Pen World

Pens of Dist-INK-tion

Philadelphia Calligraphers’ Society

R H Kunin

Richard Fernandez

Rick Krantz

Ryan Krusac Studios

Steve Zucker

Steven Barrer

Susan Wirth

Taccia

The Pen Guardian

The Pen Man

The Write Shoppe

Tom Heath

Total Office Products

Toys from the Attic

Yafa

I am attending the show, weather looks like it will not be an issue this year. My Dad and I attended the DC show last summer, bringing Mom to this one - she's going to hit the spa while I go to calligraphy class.

I'm mainly looking for Parker and Sheaffer parts (nibs, feeds, etc), lots of sacs, and maybe something pretty to add to my everyday carry.

-CFM

Claytree Auction & Collector Services
Cataloging, Valuations & Live Online Auctions

@ClaytreeAuction

I can't make it unfortunately but I need a few nibs for parts. Anyone willing to look for me? Is there a separate thread for that?

I, Joshua Lax, of the JJ Lax Pen Co, will be attending. My trial got cancelled so I am a late entrant. I will be working on nibs, and will have a bunch of pens for sale.

President, Big Apple Pen Club

Follow us on Instagram @big_apple_pen_club

"Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery."

J.J. Lax Pen Co.

www.jjlaxpenco.comOn Instagram: @jjlaxpenco

I've been planning all along to attend this my first show, but I'm on the fence. A long drive, and Saturday is calling for 29º to 33º temps with 60% change of precipitation. Snow isn't the issue as it's calling for only one inch of accumulation. The low temps and icy roads has me rethinking though. In any case, my goal was to find a pen whose nib has a really good flex! I also work nights. If Friday night goes too late that will do me in. I'm hoping things will fair well and I'll be able to go because I have been looking forward to it.

I've been planning all along to attend this my first show, but I'm on the fence. A long drive, and Saturday is calling for 29º to 33º temps with 60% change of precipitation. Snow isn't the issue as it's calling for only one inch of accumulation. The low temps and icy roads has me rethinking though. In any case, my goal was to find a pen whose nib has a really good flex! I also work nights. If Friday night goes too late that will do me in. I'm hoping things will fair well and I'll be able to go because I have been looking forward to it.

I am not sure which direction you are coming from - but I'd suggest using public transportation (SEPTA or PATCO). The hotel is centrally located - so it's easy to access that way. You won't have to worry as much about the road conditions and you can sleep on the way in.

My understanding is that some people aren't attending for the simple reason of the risks associated with traveling to the show. Their is not only the risk of personal harm, but that of the losses possible due to the fees and costs associated with setting up at the show. If the show management wants to continue to have a show in a Northern State, in Winter, and they want a lot of exhibitors then they could reduce the cost of setting up, offer rebates due to possible weather and travel difficulties, relocate to a more accessible and lower cost location and/or provide low or no cost accommodations. If I was an exhibitor I wouldn't be willing to charge the prices I would need to charge in order to adress the costs associated with the unique factors which create the potential for significant financial loss and so I would chose to pass on attending as well.

Huh. The price for a table is $175, pretty much what I've paid at other shows. Maybe its a bit higher by $25 or so, certainly not enough to make me change my pricing. Are there other fees?

They sold all the tables, so they will have exhibitors, even if it may not be some of the more prolific ones.

I will be there on Sunday, and this will be my second pen show. I went last year on Sunday during the snow, and though attendance was low, there were plenty of people there and everyone was incredibly gracious with their wisdom and time for this newbie. That was a catalyst for me to jump into this new passion with gusto, and I can't wait to get my annual fix in a few days!

Nothing exotic on my list, but I may get some nib work done, pick up some modest things like my first TWSBI and Parker 51, and some supplies to restore some Esterbrooks and other simple vintage pens I've been picking up. I'm also brining 2 friends for their first show, based on my great experience with this community last year!

Edited by Shrimpkin1

Najeeb

I live about 45 minutes away in NJ and have no reservations about attending. If your commute isn't too long, I'd recommend taking the plunge, as the weather will definitely not be a factor for any vendors and most attendees, which means you have the chance to learn a ton from some of the most gracious people you'll meet. The wisdom I got at my first show last year was invaluable and could not be replaced by any number of Youtube videos or online surfing. I'd also recommend reading some of the posts on this site and elsewhere (e.g., Anderson Pens website) about attending your first show--all good advice...

Najeeb

I, Joshua Lax, of the JJ Lax Pen Co, will be attending. My trial got cancelled so I am a late entrant. I will be working on nibs, and will have a bunch of pens for sale.

That's great news, and I look forward to stopping by your table! Najeeb

Najeeb

Does anyone have advice on how/where to look for various Esterbrook (jewels, levers, caps) and Sheaffer parts (for snorkels and touchdowns)? My plan is to just walk the floor and see what I can find, but any advice would be great. Thanks!

Najeeb

I live about 45 minutes away in NJ and have no reservations about attending. If your commute isn't too long, I'd recommend taking the plunge, as the weather will definitely not be a factor for any vendors and most attendees, which means you have the chance to learn a ton from some of the most gracious people you'll meet. The wisdom I got at my first show last year was invaluable and could not be replaced by any number of Youtube videos or online surfing. I'd also recommend reading some of the posts on this site and elsewhere (e.g., Anderson Pens website) about attending your first show--all good advice...

Thank you

Huh. The price for a table is $175, pretty much what I've paid at other shows. Maybe its a bit higher by $25 or so, certainly not enough to make me change my pricing. Are there other fees?

They sold all the tables, so they will have exhibitors, even if it may not be some of the more prolific ones.

The problem is not what the organizers charge in regard to cost, it is the other costs: Hotel $159 per night, plus state tax 6%, plus city tax 8.5%, plus parking, $52 per night, plus 6% tax, all times 4 nights, plus the cost of meals each day, plus the cost of travel to and from the show. Without tipping this approaches $1,000.00, then add in tips, miscellaneous fees and meals for two one needs to add abou $500.00 more. Travel costs for me beyond regular living costs for diving 9 hours each way adds another $500.00. So, direct expenses of about $200 plus indirect of $2,000.00 mean I would have to sell a lot of pens or other items, or have a pretty high markup.

If you are local, and thus sleeping in your own bed and using public transportation to get to and from the show, it is cheap to set up and sell, but if not, Philadelphia is expensive.

And the risk is bad weather depressing sales so low as to cause a loss. And so to factor in the high cost of Philadelphia and the possibility of bad weather and you create for a responsible merchant the need to use all this in calculating ones costs and thus ones pricing structure. I for one would rather go somewhere else with lower costs, less risk and thus a lower price point on what I would be selling.

For those going or those that are there now.....

The pen meets have started and they are in the bar with pens and paper and inks.

It will be non stop all weekend.

For those who want to follow a ton of pictures on Instagram search #PhillyPenShow2017

Edited by Earthdawn

The problem is not what the organizers charge in regard to cost, it is the other costs: Hotel $159 per night, plus state tax 6%, plus city tax 8.5%, plus parking, $52 per night, plus 6% tax, all times 4 nights, plus the cost of meals each day, plus the cost of travel to and from the show. Without tipping this approaches $1,000.00, then add in tips, miscellaneous fees and meals for two one needs to add abou $500.00 more. Travel costs for me beyond regular living costs for diving 9 hours each way adds another $500.00. So, direct expenses of about $200 plus indirect of $2,000.00 mean I would have to sell a lot of pens or other items, or have a pretty high markup.

If you are local, and thus sleeping in your own bed and using public transportation to get to and from the show, it is cheap to set up and sell, but if not, Philadelphia is expensive.

And the risk is bad weather depressing sales so low as to cause a loss. And so to factor in the high cost of Philadelphia and the possibility of bad weather and you create for a responsible merchant the need to use all this in calculating ones costs and thus ones pricing structure. I for one would rather go somewhere else with lower costs, less risk and thus a lower price point on what I would be selling.

That makes sense, but the organizers can't subsidize costs. These shows produce meager profits, so just throwing money around for people to attend makes it into a philanthropic effort.

Its one of the few city shows left (I can't think of another one besides the one-day Boston show) - remember that the NYC show was held in a Newark airport hotel? DC is held in Virginia, Columbus in Dublin. That certainly benefits the out-of-town crowd that drives in at the expense of the city people who don't drive and might not come to a show in the suburbs.

They sold all the tables, so I'm not sure the organizers could easily be convinced to change up.

Even without being a vendor, the hotel bill *alone* would be more per night than I paid for DCSS a year and a half ago (I missed the show rate deadline that time, so it was a case of calling the hotel and saying "What's the best price you can give me?"). For both OPS and Triangle Pen Show, I found hotels that were a lot cheaper that were not too far a trek back and forth to the site (although after my experiences in November, it looks as if I'm going to have to find someplace different in the greater Columbus area next year.... :wallbash:).

It's a case of weighing factors -- a less expensive hotel means I have more money for pens/inks/repairs. But it also means that I don't get to necessarily do all the hanging out and schmoozing with people after the ballrooms shut down for the day. Or have a couple of beers (because I have to drive); or -- like I did a couple of years at DCSS -- jump in the pool for a while in the evening (the hotel I was in last summer down in the Raleigh area had an outdoor pool, but there were thunderstorms all weekend.... :angry:

Truthfully, from where I live, Philly isn't actually all that much closer than Raleigh; and while driving in thunderstorms and fog isn't much fun, it beats the possibility of driving in a snowstorm. OR on black ice (been there, done that: you haven't lived till you are looking out your car's windshield at the center median yet are still *physically* moving in the same direction you'd been traveling :yikes: (no, this is NOT something I suggest you try "for fun"...).

And taking the train to Philly would actually be *longer* (ask me how I know :angry:) -- AND a LOT more expensive than tolls on the PA Turnpike. So while I would LOVE to get to the Philly Show some year, since something else came up for Saturday that I should really go to instead, this is not that year. As it is they're predicting icy roads for around here Saturday morning.... :(

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."