Asa Maya: A Review Of A Dream Pen

Sagarb

Mr Subramaniam has advised me that he can customise these pens to fit a BF #6 unit if required - but if you don't specify, it's the standard #6 JoWo unit the pen is designed to take.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sagarb

• subbucal

• Jamerelbe

• mhguda

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great review Sagar,

As usual your pictures are mesmerizing and they have indeed created a Mayajal around Maya :)

Regards,

Prithwijit

Click here to check out my reviews

Fosfor Rajendran | ASA Santulan | Ranga Sugarcane | ASA Sniper | Fosfor Heather | ASA I-Will | Hero Glorious | ASA Azaadi | Fosfor Islander | ASA Halwa | ASA Macaw | ASA Namenlos | ASA Bheeshma

Just received my Maya today in the mail super excited. Thank you op and thank you Mr. Subramaniam. I just have a quick question. I ordered the schmidt nib and housing, is there a way to remove the nib and housing unit? I want to properly clean it before i ink the pen up. Thank you.

Stephen

Just received my Maya today in the mail super excited. Thank you op and thank you Mr. Subramaniam. I just have a quick question. I ordered the schmidt nib and housing, is there a way to remove the nib and housing unit? I want to properly clean it before i ink the pen up. Thank you.

Stephen

Nice sir.. Wish you lots of happy writing.

The nib unit is threaded in, it can be threaded out. However, for long life of threads, I suggest keep it soaked in a bowl of soap water for 2-3 hours, then flush well under tap water, then dry it fully.

First time you may not have to do this as cleaning is already done by us.

You may ink it and use.

Best regards

Subramaniam

Nice sir.. Wish you lots of happy writing.

The nib unit is threaded in, it can be threaded out. However, for long life of threads, I suggest keep it soaked in a bowl of soap water for 2-3 hours, then flush well under tap water, then dry it fully.

First time you may not have to do this as cleaning is already done by us.

You may ink it and use.

Best regards

Subramaniam

Congratulations on a great pen. I'd like to emphasize that it is indeed not necessary to remove the nib unit every time you clean the pen - better to only do this when it's absolutely necessary, as in when there's no other way to get the pen clean. Normal cleaning does not warrant unscrewing the nib. I have a number of pens with Schmidt units and none have necessitated removing the nib from the pen. And they are working fine with just normal cleaning.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Thank you for the thorough instructions. This is my new favorite pen at the moment. The pen just feel right in my hand. I think it must be the ebonite.

One more question for Mr. Subramaniam. I notice the section and barrel do not tread in and out smoothly. At the half way point the turn seem a little tough. Was this done on purpose to prevent leak when use with ED?

Stephen

Thank you for the thorough instructions. This is my new favorite pen at the moment. The pen just feel right in my hand. I think it must be the ebonite.

One more question for Mr. Subramaniam. I notice the section and barrel do not tread in and out smoothly. At the half way point the turn seem a little tough. Was this done on purpose to prevent leak when use with ED?

Stephen

Yes sir, it will be a little tight, you can grease it to make it smoother. But, this is essential so that pen does not leak.

Best regards

Subramaniam

• 3 weeks later...

Just placed my order...

this is my first ebonite ASA

I agree it looks classic (I have the Kaweco Dia II...) but somewhat modern also

looking forward to it

• 4 weeks later...

thanks to a well written, emotional review,

one month later, I received my Maya!

I confirm most of the impressions mentioned in the course of this thread,

the work on the ebonite is really first class, it's so perfect I had to smell it to convince myself it really is ebonite.

The matt finish is very classy, and the line of the pen is very proportionate and modern, it does remind me of the Lamy 2000 in the finish, and the Kaweco Dia II in the shape, the chrome finish complements this look very well, making this no doubt a sort of "best of both worlds" combining a classic design with a vintage material like ebonite together with a very modern look. Compliments to ASA for this design.

Performance is very good right away (I have the CC model, which is perhaps less interesting, but works well, is clean and easy) the M Jowo nib is smooth and lays a correct line without any adjustments (I asked it to be tested).

The only drawback I also noticed is the uneveness of the threads both in the barrel and cap.

I don't mind putting slightly more pressure to unscrew the barrel, in case I decide to use it as ED, but the cap needs to be slightly forced half way during unscrewing, which is a nuisance.

I suspect this is due to faulty (exhausted) tools (the defect is the same in many of the pens, I gather from reading other comments), so without subtracting any of the praise, perhaps ASA might need to update some of the threading instruments...

Nice review Sagar. This makes me swoon a bit towards buying a Maya for my own use.

Is this available, Mr.Subramanian? What would be the delivery time? What nib make options are available?

Few things that then makes me hold back sometimes is the delayed deliveries that people keep complaining about the manufacturers. Also some of the defects that I have read on some of the Asa pens including the ones in above.

Nice review Sagar. This makes me swoon a bit towards buying a Maya for my own use.

Is this available, Mr.Subramanian? What would be the delivery time? What nib make options are available?

Few things that then makes me hold back sometimes is the delayed deliveries that people keep complaining about the manufacturers. Also some of the defects that I have read on some of the Asa pens including the ones in above.

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your interest in the Maya. It's a beautiful pen.

The pen is very high in demand and is available only on Pre-order. The pen will be shipped in batches within 3 to 4 weeks . currently I am shipping within 3 weeks

The Maya was an instant hit. Initial flow of orders were very high, nearly 200 nos in first month, that time there was a delay upto a month on shipping, as I struggled because of huge volumes. But now my orders are streamlined, you will not have an issue.

Regarding any issue with pen, please be assured it's one off instance and I do my best resolve any complaints to my best ability, when brought to my notice. Be assured of quality and service there off.

If you are keen, you can pre order one here

http://asapens.in/eshop/asa-maya-beautiful-matt-black-ebonite-fountain-pen-india-online

Would suggest one with a JoWo nib.

Pen is also available as simple ED with ASA nibs and with Schmidt nib unit options.

Let me know on case you have more queries.

Best regards

Subramaniam

My teal Asa Maya arrived a few weeks ago, but I never got around to posting a photo, so... here are a couple:

http://i.imgur.com/ljlNjlu.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/gi076ma.jpg

It's a beautiful pen, especially for the price. You can see there are some black 'specks in the green ebonite that create a more rustic look - as does the bakul finish. I like the fact that the grip section is more polished, bringing out a greener colour in the ebonite.

I purchased the pen without a nib, but to screw in a JoWo #6 already purchased from fpnibs.com - currently a 1.5mm stub.

I notice that while screwing the cap down onto the barrel, somewhere towards the middle of the threads (~3 of 5 full rotations), it requires a little more torque to keep turning - but I I can't see any problem with the threads, and the cap is perfectly airtight. All in all, a really worthwhile purchase!

Forgot to mention: I pre-ordered my pen, waited 3-4 weeks for confirmation that it was on its way, then another fortnight for it to make its way Down Under. Well worth the wait though!

That's a beautiful Maya, and a good case for a bakul finish in colored ebonite! Thanks for the suggestion; will certainly consider it. I like the monochrome teal ebonite...

That's a beautiful Maya, and a good case for a bakul finish in colored ebonite! Thanks for the suggestion; will certainly consider it. I like the monochrome teal ebonite...

Yes, a really nice pen, in an attractive (monochrome) ebonite colour. Also, I really appreciated Mr Subramaniam accommodating my request to provide me with the pen, minus nib, but threaded to take a screw-in JoWo unit. This wasn't advertised as an option, but he was happy to arrange for it regardless.

He always finds a way to fulfill our wishes...

Thanks sagarb. Just ordered Maya. You can say your review persuaded me ;-). By the way where can I find ranga pens!

Thanks sagarb. Just ordered Maya. You can say your review persuaded me ;-). By the way where can I find ranga pens!

Right at the moment there's a Mega Group Buy going on, over in the relevant forum (click this link to get there directly: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/323647-mega-group-buy-ranga-pens-with-bock-nibs-5-models-giant-bamboo-bamboo-model-8-designer-zeal/).

Thanks a lot. I would check it out right now. :)

Sadly, my resolve has crumbled and I've signed on myself... :bawl: :thumbup: