Asa Maya: A Review Of A Dream Pen

Sagarb

@jamerelbe.. c'est la vie... As I was reading your thread... You got a ranga..so hopefully you would enjoy that at least till the next opportunity knocks..

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sagarb

• subbucal

• Jamerelbe

• mhguda

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@jamerelbe.. c'est la vie... As I was reading your thread... You got a ranga..so hopefully you would enjoy that at least till the next opportunity knocks..

• 2 months later...

Well, at the very beginning I must acknowledge I am not a shutterbug, I won't post any photographs, rather I would say to refer Sagar B's photographs, they are good enough to check out and get the idea of the pen.

I have been using fountain pens since childhood. Have many of them. Some I bought, some inherited. Unfortunately, none of them is Indian! I used them, enjoyed them, and assumed there have never been good Indian pens, so I never had one!

Just few days back, I came across some names, ASA, Ranga, Deccan, Ratnamson and some others. And as I checked the reviews, I understood, I was really unfortunate never to come across any of them! I wanted to give a try. I selected ASA Maya, and Ranga 4C. I wanted to check these two, one after another. So, I contacted Mr. Subramanium, and got a response immediately. I had some queries regarding Maya, got all the positive answers, and ordered it. Maya, black, matte finish, with medium Jo-Wo #6 nib, 3-in-1 filling system. I wanted ASA to test it before delivering. I was told, it would take a few days to deliver.

To my astonishment, within 10 days I received a blue velvety pouch, packed securely in a box! That was really great service! I was chuckling, so damn happy I was!

When I checked the pen, it was a bit girthy. A bit bigger than the lamy safari (anybody can check the exact dimensions in ASA's site. I thought a comparison with a popular pen would be better to understand the size).

The finial is mirror finished, 'pointed convex' (reminds me the finial of kaweco student). The bottom is alike. Other than these two parts, the pen is matte finished. It's really beautiful. When you hold it, it gives you an extensive feeling. I really love that. One point must be noted here, when you hold the pen, when you check, you would see and understand that it's handmade, there are minor glitches which would tell you. This you must have to consider. It's a handmade pen, and definitely not as expensive as an Edison or Nakaya. I welcome these minor things. I rather have a bigger concern, which for me is rather relevant. The cap opens with several turns, and this spiral is hard (the threads between barrel and section is also hard, I have applied some grease there). I wouldn't have bothered, practically what bothers me is, the amount of pressure one has to exert on the steel clip! The clip is a sturdy one, ball ended to put into a pocket easily. So I open the pen rather carefully. These hard threads really bothers me. There's are two rings embossed at the end of the cap, perhaps to strengthen it. The overall thing looks and feels great, I must admit, even with the glitches I have spoken of.

After opening the cap you would get a rather large section, a regular plastic feed, and a steel #6 nib. Opening the barrel would reveal an international Schmidt converter. Gives me enough capacity to last a week.

Now, about the most vital part of a pen, the nib! It's Jo-Wo, I preferred, #6, medium. I asked to pre-check it. As we know Jo-Wo supplies nibs to various distinguished pen manufacturers, so it was not a surprise that, with a generous feed, it writes flawlessly. I would rather say 'it writes like a dream'! It flows, from the very point of inking it.

It has become my EDC pen, since I got it. If anyone could deal with its' minor issues (they are really minor, I would say), wants to try an ebonite, handmade pen, go for it! It's a complete value for money pen.

I must thank ASA pens (Mr Subramanium), for giving such a nice introduction to Indian pens. I believe in a few days I would come back to you, to put a hand on some other off your creations!

• 1 month later...

Well, at the very beginning I must acknowledge I am not a shutterbug, I won't post any photographs, rather I would say to refer Sagar B's photographs, they are good enough to check out and get the idea of the pen.

I have been using fountain pens since childhood. Have many of them. Some I bought, some inherited. Unfortunately, none of them is Indian! I used them, enjoyed them, and assumed there have never been good Indian pens, so I never had one!

Just few days back, I came across some names, ASA, Ranga, Deccan, Ratnamson and some others. And as I checked the reviews, I understood, I was really unfortunate never to come across any of them! I wanted to give a try. I selected ASA Maya, and Ranga 4C. I wanted to check these two, one after another. So, I contacted Mr. Subramanium, and got a response immediately. I had some queries regarding Maya, got all the positive answers, and ordered it. Maya, black, matte finish, with medium Jo-Wo #6 nib, 3-in-1 filling system. I wanted ASA to test it before delivering. I was told, it would take a few days to deliver.

To my astonishment, within 10 days I received a blue velvety pouch, packed securely in a box! That was really great service! I was chuckling, so damn happy I was!

When I checked the pen, it was a bit girthy. A bit bigger than the lamy safari (anybody can check the exact dimensions in ASA's site. I thought a comparison with a popular pen would be better to understand the size).

The finial is mirror finished, 'pointed convex' (reminds me the finial of kaweco student). The bottom is alike. Other than these two parts, the pen is matte finished. It's really beautiful. When you hold it, it gives you an extensive feeling. I really love that. One point must be noted here, when you hold the pen, when you check, you would see and understand that it's handmade, there are minor glitches which would tell you. This you must have to consider. It's a handmade pen, and definitely not as expensive as an Edison or Nakaya. I welcome these minor things. I rather have a bigger concern, which for me is rather relevant. The cap opens with several turns, and this spiral is hard (the threads between barrel and section is also hard, I have applied some grease there). I wouldn't have bothered, practically what bothers me is, the amount of pressure one has to exert on the steel clip! The clip is a sturdy one, ball ended to put into a pocket easily. So I open the pen rather carefully. These hard threads really bothers me. There's are two rings embossed at the end of the cap, perhaps to strengthen it. The overall thing looks and feels great, I must admit, even with the glitches I have spoken of.

After opening the cap you would get a rather large section, a regular plastic feed, and a steel #6 nib. Opening the barrel would reveal an international Schmidt converter. Gives me enough capacity to last a week.

Now, about the most vital part of a pen, the nib! It's Jo-Wo, I preferred, #6, medium. I asked to pre-check it. As we know Jo-Wo supplies nibs to various distinguished pen manufacturers, so it was not a surprise that, with a generous feed, it writes flawlessly. I would rather say 'it writes like a dream'! It flows, from the very point of inking it.

It has become my EDC pen, since I got it. If anyone could deal with its' minor issues (they are really minor, I would say), wants to try an ebonite, handmade pen, go for it! It's a complete value for money pen.

I must thank ASA pens (Mr Subramanium), for giving such a nice introduction to Indian pens. I believe in a few days I would come back to you, to put a hand on some other off your creations!

Thanks a ton for the nice review and motivating words

ASA Maya 3 in 1 review

Introduction

I was looking for a modest sized ebonite “3 in 1 filling system travelling pen” and saw the ASA Maya on the FPN. Its general form factor is alike my jumbo-sized Gama Supreme daily writer.

Gama_Supreme_%26_ASA_Maya_1.jpg

After an email enquiry regarding the possibility of omitting cap bands, I ordered a semi-custom Maya without such bands with the grip section prepared for JoWo #6 nib units.

After the arrival of the Maya I gave it a thorough cleaning and installed one of my German JoWo #6 nib units, a Schmidt K5 converter and inked it up with Noodler’s Black ink. The nib unit quickly started to write.

ASA_Maya_1.jpg

What I noticed

The pen is made from black ebonite, feels light and well balanced in my hand and is just large enough for me to hold and write with as I hoped. What I consider a “modest sized travelling pen” frankly is a normal full-sized pen for most people.

I like the omission of the standard cap bands. Without these the pen looks more businesslike for me and maintaining the matte longitudinally brushed ebonite cap and pen barrel surfaces with a Scotch Brite pad will be easier.

The barrel/grip section threading is properly executed for traditional Indian eye dropper use.

The ASA branded clip is springy and features a teardrop shaped ending. The underside of teardrop ending is made up out of 5 metal flaps.

For storage ASA Pens provided a fabric pouch that exactly fits the pen.

Cap with a nice twist

During capping, it takes about 2 revolutions the close the pen. Other ebonite pens from India often require more revolutions before they are ready to write.

Eyedropper mode test

According to my syringe the barrel has approximately 3.4 ml ink capacity. I filled the barrel up with soapy water instead of ink to prevent potential drama. The pen passed the test.

International cartridge mode test

I tried to fit an empty Waterman standard international long cartridge (holds about 1.5 ml ink according to my syringe) instead of a Schmidt K5 converter in my 3 in 1 ASA Maya. I did not properly work as the Waterman cartridge is wider at its base compared to the Schmidt converter.

The pen accepted an empty international short cartridge without any problems. A Schmidt K5 converter and international short cartridges have similar ink capacities, so using refilled international short cartridges in this pen does not make much sense.

Modern age suggestion

Why a 2016 pen design only relies on (silicone greased) fine threads in eyedropper mode for sealing eludes me somewhat.

JoWo_nib_unit_assembled.jpg

For future 3 in 1 and eyedropper designs, using modern JoWo nib units, I suggested ASA Pens to add cheap ISO conform O-rings and machining the appropriate grooves for them. Such gaskets are successfully used to waterproof products like diving watches that encounter more extreme conditions than pens. I know that not only relying on greased fine threads might not be a traditional method, but gaskets will yield extra insurance against ink leaks. When applied right such gaskets will be visible only when a pen is disassembled.

Edited by Fuellerfuehrerschein

"Modern age suggestion

Why a 2016 pen design only relies on (silicone greased) fine threads in eyedropper mode for sealing eludes me somewhat."

Well, primarily because it works perfectly, has proven durability for over a century, and requires no additional machining, parts, or assembly after the threads are finished. The modern solution introduces a new element in the supply chain, quality-control issues, and serious longevity problems. O-rings are not forever--at least the ones I've relied on weren't. They can get separated from the pen and lost or damaged. And unless you have a trusted supplier who is willing to deal in tiny quantities, you never know exactly what you are getting until it fails.

At the low, low volumes we are talking about, the pen maker doesn't have the luxury of writing specs, requesting quotes and samples, doing an evaluation, establishing a relationship and a setting up a continuing quality assurance program. He'd have to go out and find some O-rings retail, inspect them, and hope for the best.

ron

• 2 months later...

I have a question: In the original review the cap twisted off with about 5 turns. in Feullerfuehrerschein's analysis it took about 2 turns.

Did they reduce the amount of rotations it takes? I want this pen, but 5 turns is so many.

I have a question: In the original review the cap twisted off with about 5 turns. in Feullerfuehrerschein's analysis it took about 2 turns.

Did they reduce the amount of rotations it takes? I want this pen, but 5 turns is so many.

It's by design that we keep, 4-5 turns for especially eyedropper models, so that abrupt changes in air pressure is less.

If one plans to use only as Cartridge and Converter, we can limit the turns to 2-3 also.

No of turns in cap to barrel and section to barrel, is completely customisable.

If reqd even a Bush fit can be modelled and made.

You can discuss with me before placing order.

It's by design that we keep, 4-5 turns for especially eyedropper models, so that abrupt changes in air pressure is less.

If one plans to use only as Cartridge and Converter, we can limit the turns to 2-3 also.

No of turns in cap to barrel and section to barrel, is completely customisable.

If reqd even a Bush fit can be modelled and made.

You can discuss with me before placing order.

I was thinking that might be the case. Because 4-5 turns would, in my mind, increase the security of an air seal especially for handmade pens.

This is honestly the next pen on my list in the coming month. I just discovered ebonite and I really like what I'm hearing about ASA from fountain pen network and The Pen Habit review of your Daily 3 in 1, which was very impressive, especially for the price.

That fact that this can utilize a Jowo nib unit-schmidt converter combo is attractive, though, I will say good eyedroppers are attractive, too.

I do have one other question: Do the eye droppers utilize an Ebonite Feed?

I was thinking that might be the case. Because 4-5 turns would, in my mind, increase the security of an air seal especially for handmade pens.

This is honestly the next pen on my list in the coming month. I just discovered ebonite and I really like what I'm hearing about ASA from fountain pen network and The Pen Habit review of your Daily 3 in 1, which was very impressive, especially for the price.

That fact that this can utilize a Jowo nib unit-schmidt converter combo is attractive, though, I will say good eyedroppers are attractive, too.

I do have one other question: Do the eye droppers utilize an Ebonite Feed?

Thank you for considering the Maya.

Yes, the eyedropper model comes with the regula Ebonite feed.

The JoWo and Schmidt units come with their proprietary moulded feeders.

Thank you for considering the Maya.

Yes, the eyedropper model comes with the regula Ebonite feed.

The JoWo and Schmidt units come with their proprietary moulded feeders.

I was hoping it was :) .

That honestly sounds wonderful either way at this point :happy: . Makes it harder to choose without having both. I think you guys have something here.

Edited by IndigoBOB

I was hoping it was :lticaptd: .

That honestly sounds wonderful either way at this point :happy: . Makes it harder to choose without having both. I think you guys have something here.

Bear in mind you can 'eyedropper' a Maya with a JoWo or Schmidt nib unit - but you can't use a cartridge / converter with a standard 'eyedropper' version. I already had a few spare JoWo nib units, and Mr Subramaniam was kind enough to sell me a "nibless" Maya pen body. It's a very nice pen - though I have a slight preference for the translucent ASA Nauka I also own...

I apologize, I accidentally put in the laughing smiley face instead of the regular smiling face I edited in.

Jamerelbe, I think your right and I'll probably end up getting the 3 in 1 for that reason.

But there's something about ebonite feeds that I really like. They have that nice consistent flow that works well for finer nibs for me.

The ASA Nauka does look beautiful, especially in this review:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/330326-asa-aqua-blue-translucent-acrylic-nauka-a-review/

Bear in mind you can 'eyedropper' a Maya with a JoWo or Schmidt nib unit - but you can't use a cartridge / converter with a standard 'eyedropper' version. I already had a few spare JoWo nib units, and Mr Subramaniam was kind enough to sell me a "nibless" Maya pen body. It's a very nice pen - though I have a slight preference for the translucent ASA Nauka I also own...

Thanks Sir.

Yes, the Eyedropper which comes with stock ASA Nibs and an Ebonite feeder, can be only used as Eyedropper Fill. In case you need flexibility for using a standard international cartridge or converter, one should opt for JoWo or Schmidt compatible ones.

Jamerelbe that's a lovely comparison :) . Thank you for putting it up! That's a beauty that Maya.

I actually just ordered the Eyedropper Maya Fine. I wanted to take a dabble into a pen of this size, which, especially with a section that large, is something I've not used before. I want to get my bearings because I tried an acrylic pen with a section close to this size, but didn't like it... But since I've been using my FPR Ebonite Himalaya I've found that I've enjoyed holding it higher up on the section around the threads at a thicker girth because of the way the ebonite feels. New waters here! I'm going through a Fountain Pen Paradigm Shift ever since I've tried the Ebonite Himalaya.

I also wanted to see what this company was about before I committed a little more. Before a couple weeks ago Indian pens weren't even on my radar and now they seem to be in the center of it.

My FPR Ebonite Himalaya-Fine nib is near and dear to my heart now, and even my Muft (eyedropper) that came free with that purchase is a beloved member of my collection, so I'm excited to see how the Maya operates as an eyedropper TBH.

Jamerelbe that's a lovely comparison :) . Thank you for putting it up! That's a beauty that Maya.

I actually just ordered the Eyedropper Maya Fine. I wanted to take a dabble into a pen of this size, which, especially with a section that large, is something I've not used before. I want to get my bearings because I tried an acrylic pen with a section close to this size, but didn't like it... But since I've been using my FPR Ebonite Himalaya I've found that I've enjoyed holding it higher up on the section around the threads at a thicker girth because of the way the ebonite feels. New waters here! I'm going through a Fountain Pen Paradigm Shift ever since I've tried the Ebonite Himalaya.

I also wanted to see what this company was about before I committed a little more. Before a couple weeks ago Indian pens weren't even on my radar and now they seem to be in the center of it.

My FPR Ebonite Himalaya-Fine nib is near and dear to my heart now, and even my Muft (eyedropper) that came free with that purchase is a beloved member of my collection, so I'm excited to see how the Maya operates as an eyedropper TBH.

I can bet you wont be disappointed :-)