Kwz Ink El Dorado

lgsoltek

A new ink from KWZI. El Dorado is a yellow-orange ink. It lays down on paper with as more yellow with a slightly greenish tint and dries to a more orange colour. This kind of colour change I have noticed in Diamine Autumn Oak too. It's exactly because of this greenish tint* when it's wet that Autumn Oak repulses me (plus the Sahara-dryness of that ink). I feel better with El Dorado, although I still prefer the dried colour to the wet one. And El Dorado is such a joy to write with: wet and lubricating flow, so much better than Autumn Oak.

Splash

fpn_1481297720__eldorado-spl.jpg

Sample

fpn_1481297735__eldorado.jpg

Colour change

(top dried, bottom wet. Not very obvious in the photo.)

fpn_1481297725__eldorado-change.jpg

Compare

(The wet colour of Aztec Gold sometimes looks very similar to the dried colour of El Dorado.)

fpn_1481297730__eldorado-com.jpg

Footnote:

* Mind you though that this greenish tint might just be due to my own perception. Some people notice the colour change in Autumn Oak too but they say that's not green. Anyway for me there's a really strong green tone in it (Autumn Oak)

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lgsoltek

• Cyber6

• chromantic

• TheDutchGuy

I'd passed over this one when I saw it in the shop, thinking it was bright yellow. But if it dries this way and doesn't make my nib drag like that Autumn Oak, I think I need want a bottle.

After bringing KWZ ink samples to the Pelikan Hub here in Wrocław and before taking the leftover samples to the Madrid Pen Show, I was told that Konrad was making an ink that would stay the color of Aztec Gold when wet -- hooray! This wet Aztec Gold is a popular color, and El Dorado looks very appealing, wet and dry. That Honey, though... (whistles) niiiice.

I'm liking KWZI's browns, oranges, and reds. And azures. And greens. Ha.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

fpn_1481297725__eldorado-change.jpg

Compare

(The wet colour of Aztec Gold sometimes looks very similar to the dried colour of El Dorado.)

LOVE this shot . . . :wub:

After bringing KWZ ink samples to the Pelikan Hub here in Wrocław and before taking the leftover samples to the Madrid Pen Show, I was told that Konrad was making an ink that would stay the color of Aztec Gold when wet -- hooray! This wet Aztec Gold is a popular color, and El Dorado looks very appealing, wet and dry. That Honey, though... (whistles) niiiice.

I'm liking KWZI's browns, oranges, and reds. And azures. And greens. Ha.

That's basically the whole colour palette! (And I like them all too!)

AND,

Those "nice Folks @ Vanness" just sent me a bottle of this today!

I had written them extolling the mention of it here when I first learned of the ink & lo & behold it was "sitting tight there on their website," awaiting a purchase.

I have had to let it "warm a bit" after it's frosty delivery, but I am very excited to welcome it to my family of favored KWZ inks.

Lovely review LG.... I also have a bottle coming my way.... WOOHOO!!!!.. :D :D

You have all my favorite colors in your comparison shot.... (Actually, not Heure Doree.. can't find Callifolio in Canada)

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

I'll take KHAKI for $500, Alex. Oh, ok, wrap up the El Dorado too, I guess! :D

Thanks for a great review and comparison of other inks! :thumbup:

Edited by Behike54

“My tastes are simple: I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill

It looks much yellower in vis' review (yellow shading to orange/gold) and I was tempted to order it but it looks more like a straight-up orange/gold here which doesn't interest me so much, so I'm glad I held off. I have some other inks to order from Vanness and might throw a sample of this in. Thanks.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

It looks much yellower in vis' review (yellow shading to orange/gold) and I was tempted to order it but it looks more like a straight-up orange/gold here which doesn't interest me so much, so I'm glad I held off. I have some other inks to order from Vanness and might throw a sample of this in. Thanks.

Or you can wait until I get it... I am sure it will look different coming from my pens... :lol: :lol: ..

That's the beauty of ink.... You don't like it?... Change the pen (or paper)... ;)

C.

Edited by Cyber6

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Or you can wait until I get it... I am sure it will look different coming from my pens... :lol: :lol: ..

That's the beauty of ink.... You don't like it?... Change the pen (or paper)... ;)

C.

I always enjoy your reviews and will look forward to it. :)

Yes, easy enough to change pens and I know what a difference that can make.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

• 1 year later...

Looking forward to its arrival.....

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

• 1 year later...

*bump*

In general, being priced at around ten euros for a 60mL bottle of ink, KWZ offers great value for money. Add wetness and good lubrication to the equation, and youve got my attention. I use Turquoise in some of my pens and its a winner. I bought El Dorado for use in my Kaweco Supra Brass, because I wanted a colour that resembles that of the pen, yet is dark enough to be properly readable.

For my Supra Brass, I have two collars, two feeds and four nibs to choose from: a Kaweco B that I re-ground into a mild architect, a stock Kaweco F, a stock Leonardo F and a Leonardo 1.5 stub that I narrowed to a 0.9. I tried KWZ El Dorado with the stock Leonardo F and the Kaweco mild architect.

The results are very different. The Leonardo is tuned to be quite wet and it is also a bouncy, feathery nib. With this nib, El Dorado offers a rich, burnished colour with lots of interesting variations, just like in the OPs pictures at the start of this discussion. The Kaweco mild architect is tuned to be a dry-ish nib, and with this nib the ink is one-dimensional, pale and unremarkable.

The ink requires good paper because it will draw into cheap paper like water in a sponge. In this aspect, KWZ El Dorado must bow to inks like Sailor kiwaguru, Waterman Serenity Blue, Diamine Ancient Copper or Platinum Blue-Black (all of which offer superior writing on cheaper paper).

To summarize, with a wet pen this ink is immensely satisfying. With a dry pen, the result is not unlike that which your dog leaves in the snow during a winters walk. Good paper is required, making this ink perhaps less suitable for EDC carry pens that are used on whatever surface is available.

Edited by TheDutchGuy

• 9 months later...

*bump*

In general, being priced at around ten euros for a 60mL bottle of ink, KWZ offers great value for money. Add wetness and good lubrication to the equation, and youve got my attention. I use Turquoise in some of my pens and its a winner. I bought El Dorado for use in my Kaweco Supra Brass, because I wanted a colour that resembles that of the pen, yet is dark enough to be properly readable.

For my Supra Brass, I have two collars, two feeds and four nibs to choose from: a Kaweco B that I re-ground into a mild architect, a stock Kaweco F, a stock Leonardo F and a Leonardo 1.5 stub that I narrowed to a 0.9. I tried KWZ El Dorado with the stock Leonardo F and the Kaweco mild architect.

The results are very different. The Leonardo is tuned to be quite wet and it is also a bouncy, feathery nib. With this nib, El Dorado offers a rich, burnished colour with lots of interesting variations, just like in the OPs pictures at the start of this discussion. The Kaweco mild architect is tuned to be a dry-ish nib, and with this nib the ink is one-dimensional, pale and unremarkable.

The ink requires good paper because it will draw into cheap paper like water in a sponge. In this aspect, KWZ El Dorado must bow to inks like Sailor kiwaguru, Waterman Serenity Blue, Diamine Ancient Copper or Platinum Blue-Black (all of which offer superior writing on cheaper paper).

To summarize, with a wet pen this ink is immensely satisfying. With a dry pen, the result is not unlike that which your dog leaves in the snow during a winters walk. Good paper is required, making this ink perhaps less suitable for EDC carry pens that are used on whatever surface is available.

Thank you for the advice. I'm seriously considering getting this ink for my new TWSBI Eco Yellow. I think it will be a good fit, as I try to avoid writing on (bleep) paper with my pens. For bad paper, I have my Pilot G2s (which I also adore, btw, in .38 tips).

Thanks again, TheDutchGuy! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

... It lays down on paper with as more yellow with a slightly greenish tint and dries to a more orange colour.

... I still prefer the dried colour to the wet one. ... And El Dorado is such a joy to write with.

The more I use this ink and watch the ink change colour as it dries, the more I think there’s more going on here than just increased saturation due to evaporation. I’d speculate that a chemical process is at the root of it. It’s wonderful to see the ink change from a somewhat greenish tint (sometimes even a bit ghoulish) into a rich, burnished mix of red, orange, amber, yellow and ochre. Wet pens emphasize the burnished reds. Dry pens emphasize the yellows and oranges. Pens with soft nibs (which move to and from the feed as you write) may offer almost every colour known to Man in a single word.