Itsallstraw

Hello all! I am looking for suggestions for my first ink in my Lamy safari Dark lilac medium nib. I am looking for something that I can use professionally but something that has character! I looked at Diamine eclipse but it seems too black, then I looked at PR ebony purple but it seems to have mixed reviews...I was hoping for something with a little more purple. I prefer the bluish purple, not the ones that tend toward red. I am just reaching out to you because you have so much more experience than I do! Hoping someone can offer me some advise! So grateful!!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• ParkerDuofold

• Itsallstraw

• AndyYNWA

I also prefer a more blue purple. J. Herbin Violette Pensée is, to my eye, one and a very well behaved ink. It starts out with a resddish tinge when wet and turns bluer as it dries. I love watching that transformation. I believe Waterman's purple is also more bluish and has good flow.

Happiness is a real Montblanc...

Hello all! I am looking for suggestions for my first ink in my Lamy safari Dark lilac medium nib. I am looking for something that I can use professionally but something that has character! I looked at Diamine eclipse but it seems too black, then I looked at PR ebony purple but it seems to have mixed reviews...I was hoping for something with a little more purple. I prefer the bluish purple, not the ones that tend toward red. I am just reaching out to you because you have so much more experience than I do! Hoping someone can offer me some advise! So grateful!!

Hello Itsallstraw,

You may want to consider a custom blend to get the exact color you want. JUST MAKE SURE YOU USE THE SAME BRAND OF INK, (I've read where some mixed brands don't play well together).

For example: Above, Joanne recommends J. Herbin Violet Pen., but if you don't think it's dark enough, add a few drops of Pearl Noire until it is, (keep testing the color before you add more black). This can be done with Diamine and Waterman inks, too.

I've been doing it to get the exact color I want. I also read somewhere here that a 50/50 blend of Waterman Serenity Blue and Tender Purple make a rich, deep bluish purple.

Hopefully others will chime in. :)

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Awesome idea! I have not really thought about mixing inks because I am so new to fountain pens, i just tried a sample of j.herbin violette pensee but it is just a little too light for work... absolutely lovely but I think I will have a go at mixing a little black in there!

Look at Sailor Shigure. Deeply purple, and I wouldn't hesitate to use it in a work setting.

Also, somewhat more purply, yet still dark, DeAtramentis Aubergine.

Awesome idea! I have not really thought about mixing inks because I am so new to fountain pens, i just tried a sample of j.herbin violette pensee but it is just a little too light for work... absolutely lovely but I think I will have a go at mixing a little black in there!

Thank you; glad I could help. :)

I'm sure you'll hear some more great suggestions; this place is a wealth of information... sometimes too much. :D

- Anthony

In that particular pen I would use Lamy Dark Lilac. They were made to go together. :)

In that particular pen I would use Lamy Dark Lilac. They were made to go together. :)

Marriage made in heaven!

Sadly thwarted by unobtainability. :(

Hello all! I am looking for suggestions for my first ink in my Lamy safari Dark lilac medium nib. I am looking for something that I can use professionally but something that has character!

Dark Lilac is perfect but since it's soldout there's probably some similar colours from other brands afaik. Edelstein Amethyst is less saturated.

Currently playing with Oster's Purple Rock... it's probably antithesis to Dark Lilac :P it's a steely grey, hasn't got any Wow factor IMHO but hey it writes.

Diamine Grape, Diamine Amazing Amethyst, Private Reserve Ebony Purple, or say Diamine Imperial Purple with some Eclipse to darken and enhance.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

I have had drying-out problems with Diamine Grape and PR Ebony Purple. I love love loved Ebony Purple, but in my Pilot Metro, which is usually extremely good at keeping nibs ready to go, Ebony Purple would need to be goosed a bit with some water (or my tongue) after a weekend without being used.

I have been trying like crazy to find some lamy dark lilac... impossible! I'm thinking about mixing J. Herbin's blacl ( forgive me I can't remember the name) and the violette pensee for a custom blend! I am hesitant to do that because I have never dabbled in fountain pens before but I also can't seem to find the shade of purple black I like...

Hi,

Kindly consider Diamine Damson and the FPN bespoke Noodler's Dumas Tulipe Noir.

I've had an awkward time when casting about for such an ink - online depictions are flakey, especially when the hue creaps into the Spectral Violet range.

Fingers crossed. :)

Bye,

S1

__

I've put forward my notions about blending with Black here : https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/255652-tips-for-a-beginning-mixer/?p=2821339

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

I have been trying like crazy to find some lamy dark lilac... impossible! I'm thinking about mixing J. Herbin's blacl ( forgive me I can't remember the name) and the violette pensee for a custom blend! I am hesitant to do that because I have never dabbled in fountain pens before but I also can't seem to find the shade of purple black I like...

I have a couple bottles of Dark Lilac. Will send a sample if you like.

De Atramentis Aubergine would be my first recommendation to you, since it is my favorite ink. Second would be Noodler's La Reine Mauve, which is not as warm as Aubergine, and which I currently have in my Lamy Safari Dark Lilac. For me it is very dark, yet still unmistakably purple. I very much enjoy using it.