• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountainpagan

• subbucal

• jay.is.here

• FOUR X FOUR

I like the fact that one can still get reasonably priced ebonite fountain pens from India.

Sashin is great batsman.

Love a hot prawn curry.

The maya looks good.

"One Ink-drop on a solitary thought hath moved the minds of millions" - P R Spencer

Nameste!

What a generous and kind pif Mr Subramariam.

I am a new member and would really appreciate it, if I could be included.

At this moment in time I own one other Indian pen and am very happy with its performance, but I would certainly be over the moon to call myself the proud owner of a Maya.

My youngest sister is married to an Indian and my brother-in-law is the kindest en most generous man I have ever met. His great grandparents were Indian immigrants. What I admire most about his relatives is their resilience and perserverance, their kindness and grace in all circumstances.

Thank you for the PIF!

I can't say that I have any personal experience with Indian fountain pens, but everything I've heard about them is that they're hidden gems: sturdy, well-crafted, very affordable, but not very well-known in the US because most don't get picked up here. I have one ebonite fountain pen which I love it, and I would love to have to chance to own another.

​This is such an awesome PIF. Much appreciated!

​The reasons why I like Indian-pens

• ​Hand-made out of ebonite, how are they charging so little and yet at the same time the quality is remarkable. Look at the prices of Japanese Ebonite pens, or pens being made out of the custom makers in the states. You can get the same quality for a much more reasonable price.
  • ​The pens are now being fitted with JoWo nibs, allows them versatility, people can switch out nibs from older pens or if a nib gets destroyed buy a replacement at a reasonable cost
  • ​Lastly, as far as I can see, customer service is top notch. You are dealt with respect and promptly.​
Edited by bugsbunny88

Most of my favorite teas are grown in India. Darjeeling at the foothills of the Himilayas. Nilgiri of the Blue Mountain area. Assam picked, not cut/torn.

Fantastic railroads, scenic

Colorful clothing

And really spicy food

Posted Image

Thanks for your generosity!

I've never been to India, but I had a very close colleague I worked with for three years... She was a lovely Indian woman that introduced me -no kidding- to indian food. But what I liked most about her was her kindness and her peaceful way of living.

Wherever you are now, Satish, I remember you!

Edited by padresoler

I bought a few fountain pens from India on a whim last year and they are some of the smoothest writing pens I have. I love that the pens from there are so reasonably priced and can still be very high performing. Indian food also just happens to be some of my favorite! I would love to visit some day, but until then I will just enjoy the little bits of culture in small ways with their food and pens. Thanks for your generosity and for counting me in on this giveaway!

Hello,

I just stumbled across this group and love the give away ideas here. Thank you for providing these great gifts and for hopefully inspiring others.

Speaking of...that's what I love about India and her community. I've been blessed to have had the chance to visit India twice (for a study abroad program); once in N. India (Delhi) and once in Kerala. Both were amazing experiences. I've never felt so welcome in my life. I'm also involved with my local Indian community who have become family. I've been studying Bharatanatyam, an ancient form of classical dance from S. India, for almost 10 years now. I've always loved different cultures, even as a child and have fallen in love with India.

You can imagine how ecstatic I was when I stumbled across an article about fountain pens of India. I promised myself that one day I would have to add one to my meager collection. My love of culture and fountain pens have, much like many aspects of my life, blended together in perfect harmony. Funny how that happens.

Best of luck to all who enter!

~*Twigg*~

post-132238-0-93370900-1481747548.jpg

Nice PIF...thank you. I've never been to India, nor do I know anything about India pens, but I know there are some amazing artists there and I adore Indian food!

Hello Mr Subramanium!

Indian food has a very important place in my heart, for it was at an Indian restaurant that my wife and I had our first date! We had a goat vindaloo, sag paneer, and, of course, naan! I remember it being very delicious. At one time early in our marriage, we made our favorite dessert from scratch, ras malai. We love its sweetness and the fragrance of the cardamom. We have been married six years and when we have some time from the kids we still go eat Indian food and drink chai to re-live old times.

Also, I love how Indian artisans like yourself are helping to further the practice of writing and penmanship by continuing to hand-craft these pens from traditional materials. I think this fast-paced, digital world of instant-gratification could benefit from the slowed-down, contemplative (and even meditative) nature that written correspondence necessitates. (and I am a computer programmer!)

Thank you for this PIF opportunity, sir!

Rich d

"The ASA Maya Ebonite Fountain Pen" its not an ordinary PIF - it is a chance to get ones dream come true!!!

I am an Indian so can write probably dozens if not hundreds of pages praising India or anything related to Indians. But, I will focus on "The ASA Maya" for the time being, as i have been literally drooling :drool: over it since i saw the pics a few days ago.

I have never seen or used any ASA product or any other hand crafted fountain pen, but i am very much impressed with all what i have heard about the pen and the people involved.

I am still smitten with ASA Nauka(transparent) and was thinking of ways to justify its purchace when i came across this PIF, now there are two pens that I need to acquire and stop looking at other models, LOL

Even if we forget the high standard of craftsmanship, raw material quality, the painstaking efforts taken, the humbleness and outright friendliness of Mr. Subramaniam- "The MAYA" is to be added to ones collection, just for the elegant looks."Maya" is magical, as the name suggests.

Initially, I tried to stay away from this PIF as I could buy it relatively quickly as compared to the international community, but, alas my greed won over morality- and here I am, putting in my name to have a chance to call this Maya my own ;) .

Edited by ashuji

I would like to have my name put in the hat, I have two eyedropper or barrel filled fountain pens and I like them both, I like the sleekness of the pen and the nib looks like it is pretty fine and I prefer pens that have finer nibs, it also looks pretty large so it would probably fit my hand pretty well.

That pen really has a very nice, vintagey design. I like it a lot. Thanks for the PIF!

I also don't know much about India, but what I do know off the top of my head is that India not only provided the world with two world religions, it's also (more or less) the source of the number 0 and the decimal system. Those are certainly very impressive cultural achievements.

I don't know a lot about pens from India. But I have been looking at several lately. I do know about Indian food though, and I love it. This is an excellent PIF, and I thank you for having it. It does look like a lovely vintage pen.

Thanks for the PIF Mr Subramaniam.

I am not a fountain pen collector. To me, a fountain pen accentuates the character and meaning of the words and images one writes. It also adds inexpressible joy and satisfaction in the writer. Thus, the fountain pen is not a luxury tool to flaunt but something to cherish and use for communcating one's thoughts better. Those who care for these joys of life would love such functional fountain pens.

Hence, great fountain pens are those that are comfortable to hold and allow for effortless writing, for a cost that allows everyone to enjoy this experience and not just those who can invest a fortune to procure collectable pens.

This is where ASA makes a real difference. Pens that allow the writer and reader to concentrate on writing and it's message rather than build up one's ego, just because he/she owns an expensive pen.

I find ASA's website, it's pen collection and their pen description concentrate on these aspects: the pleasure of writing, the functionality of the pen and affordability for those who appreciate good writing. The character of their pens demonstrate the inherent Indian values: simplicity, dependable functionality and beauty that comes from clean aesthetics rather than complexity and glitter, all of which when incarnated in a pen, doesnt burn a big hole in your pocket.

I cannot say that I will purchase every pen model that ASA produces but I will ever be a loyal customer.

Thanks

Every man who repeats the dogma of Mill that one country is no fit to rule another country must admit that one class is not fit to rule another class.

B R Ambedkar