Titanium Bock Nib - Kaigelu 316 - Beaufort Ink

Frank66

Yeah, it's certainly pretty impressive.

I'm sure the same nib will fit any Chinese #6 nibbed pens. The J X750 certainly deserves it, it looks as if the nib is made for that pen.

I've used a Bock titanium nib in a Delta Titanio I was loaned a few years ago, and must admit I wasn't keen on the force needed to flex it, about 150grams force or thereabouts (I measured it by pressing on electronic scales). That's a good deal more than my vintage flex nibs and was quite tiring to keep up. Having a new one, can you comment on the force needed on the current nibs? It may have changed over the years.

Regards,

Richard

more flexible < ------------------------------------------------------------------------ > less flexible

Zebra G dip nib > Bock Ti nib (#6 EF) > vintage Eversharp Skyline (gold nib) >. FPR flexible nib (#6 EF)

To me the #6 Bock Titanium nib is not difficult to use for everyday writing and it is not difficult to flex either. I would say this nib has been the most comfortable nib I have used in a fountain pen. Sorry I cannot use an electronic scales, still how would one measure how many microns the tines part when you a apply a certain force? Could be the force needed to remove a plastic shim inserted between the two tines. You need to standarize not only the force needed but also the distance the tines part under the same force, too much intra- and inter-examiner variability.

Still according to my own personal experience:

i) - Compared to a vintage Eversharp Skyline pen with a gold nib*, I would say that the #6 Bock Ti nib takes a perceptively less force to flex. This may also be due to the size difference between the two nibs, the skyline seems like a #5 size nib.

ii) - Compared to a FPR flex nib I had previously placed in another Jinhao x750, the FPR nib is considerably stiffer compared to the Bock Titanium.

iii) - Finally, the Zebra G nib is easier to flex and writes thinner than my Bock Ti EF. However, the Zebra G is originally a dip pen nib and it's tines also can very easily deform, this is has not been the case with the Bock nib IMO.

I hope this helps a little.

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah12/phzervas/7E10AECB-8681-4A6E-BD27-E5236C108C8A_zpsrbqnb6ks.jpg

* Eversharp Skyline pen was a PIF loan from forum member Alexander_K from the Netherlands, Alexander, thank you very much for the pen, I really appreciate it.

Edited by Frank66

- Kaigelu 316 Modification (250 #6 Bock Nib / Beaufort Ink Converter)
- Titanium Bock Nib - Kaigelu 316 - Beaufort Ink

- Bock Rollerball Nib In Jinhao 886 Pen - Beaufort Ink Converter

- No affiliation with pen industry, just a pen hobbyist.

- It matters what you write, only for us it matters what we write it with.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Frank66

• richardandtracy

• visvamitra

• Shmurzik

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have made a list of publications about Bock Titanium Nibs for anyone who might be more interested to learm more about them:

- Bock Titanium Nib Review, 2016 http://www.abetterdesk.com/blog/2016/6/26/bock-titanium-nib-review

- Namisu Nova Sandblasted Titanium (Ti Nib), 2016 https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/314526-namisu-nova-sandblasted-titanium-ti-nib/

- Fosfor Heather With Bock Titanium Nib, 2016 https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/305474-fosfor-heather-with-bock-titanium-nib/

- Titanium Nibs, 2016 https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/304772-titanium-nibs/

- Titanium Nib From Bock, 2012 https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/220181-titanium-nib-from-bock/

- Titanium Vs Gold Vs Steel, 2012 https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/229533-titanium-vs-gold-vs-steel/

- #5 Bock Titanium Fountain Pen Nib, 2011 https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/208515-bock-titanium-fountain-pen-nib/

- (youtube) Bock Titanium Fountain Pen Nib Handschrift mit dem Füllfederhalter, 2011 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7oISu8ak9o

- (youtube) Fountain Pen Nib Review: BOCK Gold, Titanium & Steel - Pluma Fuente Füllfederhalter, 2012 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKas5F003bY

- Titanium Bock 250, 2016 https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/305134-titanium-bock-250/

- Swapping In A #6 Bock Titanium Nib Into A F-C 02, 2016 https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/310840-swapping-in-a-6-bock-titanium-nib-into-a-f-c-02/

- Bock 250 Titanium Nibs, 2015 https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/285139-bock-250-titanium-nibs/

• 3 weeks later...

May I add to the references above about Titanium nibs, a recently found post from Brian Goulet, for whomever might be interested:

- What Are The Advantages/Disadvantages Of Titanium Nibs? - Q&A Slices , The Goulet Pen Company https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1WiJsQ6Hfo

Edited by Frank66

The nib that came with my K316 is delightful and smooth, but a bit too wide for my handwriting. I have replaced it with a Jinhao #6 nib that I hand-carved into a nice italic, that fits my handwriting style much better. So now, I have a $20 pen with a $1 nib, if you ignore the $80 worth of my time modifying the nib...

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

! love titanium nibs! i jammed a #6 Bock Titan into a Nemosine Singularity, love how the pen writes now!

Oh my! I have always set my eyes on a Nemosine Singularity, especially the one with the 0.6mm nib, I think they are wonderful pens. Living on the other part of the Atlantic has made it difficult so far, although I am really tempted this time, however shipping cost to Greece amounts over twice as much as the actual pen. Perhaps I need to contact them for an alternative shipping method. Thank you for letting us know.

Do you find the feed keeps up well with the increased ink flow required by the titanium nib? Thanks,

- Frank66

Edited by Frank66

May I add to the references above about Titanium nibs, today's post from sketchstack about placing a Ti nib in a TWSBI Vac700 pen,

- Twsbi Vac700: Titanium! found here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/316900-twsbi-vac700-titanium/?do=findComment&comment=3757462

The post includes a couple of videos with writing samples with the Titanium nib, I thought might be useful to interested viewers. Happy New Year 2017!

• 1 month later...

Well, our dear Visvamitra once loved teal inks: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/264696-four-complex-shades-of-blue/ . But I suppose his taste has changed. :lol:

Am I the only one to spot a slight absurdity here?

£15 pen, £52+ nib...

Looks good, writes nicely. But, oh I don't know; It seems dotty to me to put such an expensive nib in such a cheap pen. I know the pen is worth more than we pay for them, but even so.

Regards,

Richard.

Most folks wouldn't hesitate to put the same nib in a Parker Centennial yet in my experience the Kaigelu 316 is prettier than my Parker Centennial, is built just as well and writes much better. I don't see anything absurd or dotty about what Frank did. After all, the nib is the heart and soul of the pen...the pen is merely a nib holder. Makes sense to put the most money into the nib.

Mary

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to share a picture of the side of Bock Titanium nib that shows how the feed extends closer to the nib tip compared to a regular steel Bock nib. Presumably this happens in order not to lose the ink capillary action during flexy writing.

Pictured below is the Bock Titanium nib (on the left) compared with the Bock Steel nib (on the right), both nibs are EF. Notice the slightly smaller distance from the tip of the nib to the beginning of the feed in the Titanium nib compared with the steel nib. Both nibs were seated completely in their respective housings.

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah12/phzervas/18111E18-C2F2-4B9F-8E9D-3112845ADA07_zpscxcxmiia.jpg

Edited by Frank66

• 1 year later...

A quick scriblble with my K 316 with the Titanium bock nib. Thanks for keeping this thread alive.

post-125657-0-95829600-1544206981_thumb.jpg

A quick scriblble with my K 316 with the Titanium bock nib. Thanks for keeping this thread alive.

It's good to know that the titanium nibs keeps performing well after two years of use! Have you noticed any signs of metal fatigue at all?

My Keigelu 316 is currently sporting a Jowo 1.1. The Bock Ti 0.45 CI is on the Conid Minimalistica. Sent a Ti B off to be ground to CI. Might well find its way to the K316.

Edited by Karmachanic

Add lightness and simplicate.

It's good to know that the titanium nibs keeps performing well after two years of use! Have you noticed any signs of metal fatigue at all?

Not really, I have not noticed any signs of nib metal fatigue. The Ti nib feels more bendable and flexible, and less stiff compared to a regular gold flexible nib. I guess that is what people mean when they describe it as a "mushy nib". Generally speaking, I do not try to over-extend the nib beyond its elastic limits and thus far it has not happened to me to permanently bend the nib. It is my impression that even if this happens, because the nib is relatively soft and bendable, it might be easy to finger-bend it back to its original shape, but this has not happened to me thus far, if this what you mean with metal fatigue.

I have used the nib with a variety of inks, mostly Waterman, Pelikan, Pilot, Herbin, Diamine, including Diamine shimmerig inks, and various ink mixes that I experiment with, and this nib and feed have behaved exceptionally well.

Flexible nibs are great because they provide and extra degree of freedom to one's writing that is nice to experience. Initially I was a little hesitant to buy this Ti nib, but two years later I do not regret doing so at all. I would recommend this Ti nib for someone who is undecided and willing to try it, I bear no affiliation with the pen industry whatsoever.

Edited by Frank66

My Keigelu 316 is currently sporting a Jowo 1.1. The Bock Ti 0.45 CI is on the Conid Minimalistica. Sent a Ti B off to be ground to CI. Might well find its way to the K316.

Jowo 1.1 italic looks "sharp" on your K316, your writing and ink look great too. Did you use the OEM Kaigelu feed with the Jowo nib? It would be interesting to know where one can get a Ti nib ground to a CI, perhaps if you can share with us.

Jowo 1.1 italic looks "sharp" on your K316, your writing and ink look great too. Did you use the OEM Kaigelu feed with the Jowo nib? It would be interesting to know where one can get a Ti nib ground to a CI, perhaps if you can share with us.

As per your example I replaced the existing housing with a Bock housing and feed. Any nib grinder should be able to accomodate you. Pablo at FPNibs for example. Though his wait list is long for nibs not purchased from him. One can also order from Conid. They usually deliver four weeks or so after ordering.

Add lightness and simplicate.

I have the Bock Titan nib (Fine nib) on my Namisu Nova (also in titanium) and have had it for over a year. At first, I didn't think I like the nib or the pen. But as I continue to use it I find that the nib has seemed to conform to my writing style. It is a nice wet nib, but not overly so and has a bit of bounce and just a bit of flex to it - similar to gold, but not the same. Mine certainly isn't a "flex" nib, but it does have a tiny bit of flex to it. It might actually have more but I am a light writer. It does write with a bit of feedback that took some getting used to. The pen weight is still a bit of an issue for me but even that has grown on me.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

• 1 month later...

I also got my first Titanium #6 Bock nib from Namisu over a year ago, I love the nib so much I just got the Conid Kingsize with #8 titanium Bock nib. Flexes a little more but same feel as the #6. Just as important the feed that was provided keeps up with the flex writing. Love both nibs.

• 5 weeks later...

A #8 nib must be so awesome compared to a #6, and the Conid Kingsize pen must be so great! Let me just say that, in my humble opinion, all state of the art fountain pens in the future should be made after CONID...