Pilot Metropolitan With A 1Mm Stub

bobje

Pilot Metropolitan now available with a stock 1mm stub as a nib option. No longer necessary to buy a Metropolitan, then swap in a Plumix nib. Available from Goulet -- haven't seen them elsewhere yet.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill P

• Drone

• dms525

• Gloucesterman

I saw that. Seems that they're only in the Retro Pop colors (at least so far). I like some of the base pen barrel/cap colors, but the "decoration" above the sections are generally a bit too "twee" for me.... :(

Maybe the grey wouldn't be too bad -- that decoration is a houndstooth pattern....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I saw that. Seems that they're only in the Retro Pop colors (at least so far). I like some of the base pen barrel/cap colors, but the "decoration" above the sections are generally a bit too "twee" for me.... :(

Maybe the grey wouldn't be too bad -- that decoration is a houndstooth pattern....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

I just saw it on Goulet; available also in the Black Metropolitan.

If it's the same as the Plumix/78G (broad) then why not get a Plumix and replace the nib?

Also, how come there is no tipping ("iridium) on the nib? I actually had one that I used a LOT and wore away the nib so that it was REALLY wide/broad. When it got that broad, I have other pens that provide much better feel than the "Met".

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

I snapped one up in a plain black, and I quite like it. It's more like an italic than a true stub--fairly crisp, unlike my other stub, an Esterbrook 2442, which is much smoother at fast speeds. I wouldn't use it for super-fast daily writing, but it's really nice for practicing cursive italic handwriting, if you like that kind of thing.

So many stubs are 1.1mm or 1.5mm (TWSBI, I'm looking at you), and I love a smaller width factory stub that doesn't have to come from a nibmeister's workshop.

Edited by Ergative

• 2 weeks later...

I have a plain gold-tone Metropolitan (actually it is an MR because it was purchased in Singapore) into which I transplanted the gold-tone plated 1mm stub nib from a 78G. The key is that the transplanted 78G nib is gold-tone to match the pen, while the stock nibs and Plumix nibs are both silver-tone. Now I need to gold plate the clip :D

This is great news, especially given the questionable future availability of the 78G and the low cost/good quality of the Metropolitan.

David

• 2 weeks later...

Is this much different from the Plumix nib or the "Calligraphy" nib on some of the Prera's (I have both).

I just bought one of these from Anderson Pens, and although it is advertised as a 1.0 stub nib....what I received says Calligraphy on the Pilot label on the Pilot box, and has a "CM" on the nib..which I believe to stand for "Calligraphy Medium" nib

Can't say if that is good or bad because I haven't used it yet...though in my experience , in general terms, a stub nib is usually smoother than a calligraphy nib...

If it's CM or M, it's the same nib as plumix and prera.

It's also the same as the B nib on a Pilot 78G. They are all nice. By my estimation, they would fall in the "cursive italic" range of the spectrum. You can certainly use them for Palmer-type cursive writing without difficulty.

David

I just bought one of these from Anderson Pens, and although it is advertised as a 1.0 stub nib....what I received says Calligraphy on the Pilot label on the Pilot box, and has a "CM" on the nib..which I believe to stand for "Calligraphy Medium" nib

Can't say if that is good or bad because I haven't used it yet...though in my experience , in general terms, a stub nib is usually smoother than a calligraphy nib...

I have one with the CM on it. It is a great nib. I smoothed on mine a little. The first one was a fine, and it didn't need any smoothing. The 1.0 stub (CM) is about the exact same as a 1.1, and it is a really good nib in my opinion.

How come the "1.0, 1.1, 1.5, etc" nibs have no tipping? It seems that one will wear out (or down) the nib a lot sooner! I had a friend who bought one of the "no tipping" nibs, loved it a lot, used it - a LOT and wore it down.

Years ago I bought a Pendleton Brown TWSBI 580 stub that was a "worked-on" "B" nib. I like the idea of having the tipping and the material to polish it more.

Still, Why no tipping???

BTW, if you want to create a simple DIY set of calligraphy nibs, check out Nathan Tardif's video on how to do so on YouTube.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

How come the "1.0, 1.1, 1.5, etc" nibs have no tipping? It seems that one will wear out (or down) the nib a lot sooner! I had a friend who bought one of the "no tipping" nibs, loved it a lot, used it - a LOT and wore it down.

Years ago I bought a Pendleton Brown TWSBI 580 stub that was a "worked-on" "B" nib. I like the idea of having the tipping and the material to polish it more.

Still, Why no tipping???

BTW, if you want to create a simple DIY set of calligraphy nibs, check out Nathan Tardif's video on how to do so on YouTube.

1. Pens like the Pilot Metropolitan/MR are cheap commodity pens. Tipping adds significantly to the cost.

2. At 1+ mm, these steel nibs are quite wide. Having a lot of surface area in contact with the paper reduces wear dramatically, thereby reducing the need for tipping to protect the nib.

3. These nibs are intended to give a calligraphic effect (large line variation). Tipping "blunts" the edge of an italic nib making them more stubbish and less like a calligraphy nib.

4. Since there's a lot of material to work with on these untipped nibs, grind and polish away to your heart's desire. No need to worry if you'll run out of tipping material to work with :)

Edited by Drone

I have one with the CM on it. It is a great nib. I smoothed on mine a little. The first one was a fine, and it didn't need any smoothing. The 1.0 stub (CM) is about the exact same as a 1.1, and it is a really good nib in my opinion.

So I have been using mine now for a week or so...did a little smoothing of the nib (I can't stand scratchiness)..and I think the CM performs really well...

Consistent flow, line variation, and smooth...

and for under $15....a GREAT VALUE Fountain Pen