• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mehandiratta

• mpkandan

• matteob

• MuddyWaters

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes he introduced JoWo nib units halfway through the group buy: not sure on size.They were not initially advertized here.I asked him to change to one from the Schmidt advertized and I hope he had registered that. The JoWo and Schmidt Rangas come with a converter for the unit but they can be used as an eyedropper as well I think. you just take the converter out and grease the threads with Silicone. His pure eyedroppers I think are ebonite feed and mainly Indian nibs though he has some Conklin branded Bocks.

I would wait for the next group buy. It should be soon and the price will be cheaper than that because of group discount. However that is a nice pen on ebay. If you like it buy it!

Edited by matteob

Well, here it is. Quite gorgeous I think.

The green is not as "bright" as in the photo (for reference, the background is a black cloth notebook cover) - but a bit darker with a nice contrast to the black.

As noted by others there are small blemishes in in the ebonite. They look to be either pits filled with red buffing rouge or a contaminate. Under a 20x loupe I can see a bit of sparkle. But, if someone hadn't mentioned it I don't know that I would have ever noticed it.

I got the upgrade Ambitious nib upgrade in F. Writes perfectly when dipped. Haven't filled it yet so can't comment on feed/flow performance.

Also included was the original Wality nib - an unexpected bonus as I would have expected the Ambitious upgrade to result in a simple swap. Very happy with the pen, value, and service. Came well packed in a pen box along with a Fellowship Black Bird eyedropper pen and a plastic eyedropper. And the pen box was wrapped in a half sheet of the India Times so I got to read some local news!

post-15284-0-87020400-1485009190_thumb.jpg

Edited by FrozenPen

The green is not as "bright" as in the photo (for reference, the background is a black cloth notebook cover) - but a bit darker with a nice contrast to the black.

As noted by others there are small blemishes in in the ebonite. They look to be either pits filled with red buffing rouge or a contaminate. Under a 20x loupe I can see a bit of sparkle. But, if someone hadn't mentioned it I don't know that I would have ever noticed it.

I got the upgrade Ambitious nib upgrade in F. Writes perfectly when dipped. Haven't filled it yet so can't comment on feed/flow performance.

Also included was the original Wality nib - an unexpected bonus as I would have expected the Ambitious upgrade to result in a simple swap. Very happy with the pen, value, and service. Came well packed in a pen box along with a Fellowship Black Bird eyedropper pen and a plastic eyedropper. And the pen box was wrapped in a half sheet of the India Times so I got to read some local news!

That's gorgeous! Thanks for the pic. I can hardly wait for mine. If you got yours in the thumb-joint of Michigan, central Indiana can't be too far behind :D

Lux in Obscuro Sumus

Thanks for mentioning the extra pieces. I didn't know what they were!

I love seeing what everyone ordered.

I received mine in NYC! One Model 3 and one Model 3C, both with kanwrite nibs. Beautiful pens, but I have to say I am not able to get the blue color the way it looks in the photos - it's always more green, which is not a good color for me. The other is a red with mauve ripple, nice, could use more mauve but I like it! In any case, I look forward to using these pens! It looks like there was a pen and nib thrown in?

fpn_1484886548__ranga_model3and3c.jpg

Awesome colours. Do you like the look of the flat-top or the curved ends more?

Awesome colours. Do you like the look of the flat-top or the curved ends more?

I like them both! The curved ends are not rounded as was described, rather they are flat with curved edges. Nice touch. I like the flat top in the matte. I may try the flat top next time with a clip.

Picked up my mail at the post office on Friday; wonderful surprise waiting for me - my lovely new 3C in polished black! Looks just like the pic on page 1 of this thread except I chose clipless. It partners so nicely with my 3 (from previous group buy) in matte green and black ripple. I do like the matte on the flat top and the polished on the curved :)

Thanks to everyone who made these possible!

KEEP CALM AND BOOGIE ON!

SILENCE IS GOLDEN, BUT DUCT TAPE IS SILVER.

Thanks to Mr Rangan and Vaibhav for organizing this. My pens have arrived and they look great. The ebonite is pretty free of flaws and the workmanship looks fine.

post-133135-0-92504200-1485260824_thumb.jpg

Edited by matteob

I got my pen in yesterday, with a free eyedropper pen too. I am very pleased. I've already used the ebonite pen, but haven't cleaned and used the eyedropper one yet.

http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo175/Kelkay59/EDC/IMG_6436-crop_zps6el3rgfa.jpg

Well, I tried the eyedropper. It is a Fellowship-Black Bird. I think it has a F nib on it. I cleaned it, and then I put silicone grease around the threads, and inked it up. It wrote straight out of the box. It did need a little smoothing though. I wrote a little bit with it. I wasn't sure what to expect, but it did exceed my expectations. Thank you for adding that to my Ranga pen order! I will see how the eyedropper pen works out. So far it is not bad at all.

Edited by KKay

Those are nice looking pens!

I ordered 2 pens but paid after December 28 so seems like I have to wait a bit longer :wallbash:

MuddyWaters yes though I have not seen a matte pen. The Baikal finish is more like sanded wood I think while the polished is like glossier. Scroll back a few people have posted pics of the Matte :)

The "bakul" finish is a kind of matte finish - there's not a third "matte" option with these pens! I fine my polished Ranga pens feel smooth and 'polished' in my hand, and perhaps a bit 'cooler' to the touch? Whereas the bakul finish is maybe a bit warmer, and definitely grippier (without being rough).

I doubt very much that colour makes much difference - ebonite is ebonite is ebonite, though densities and porosity may vary a little?

The "bakul" finish is a kind of matte finish - there's not a third "matte" option with these pens! I fine my polished Ranga pens feel smooth and 'polished' in my hand, and perhaps a bit 'cooler' to the touch? Whereas the bakul finish is maybe a bit warmer, and definitely grippier (without being rough).

I doubt very much that colour makes much difference - ebonite is ebonite is ebonite, though densities and porosity may vary a little?

I agree with this. There is the smoothness of the polished and I like the organic feel of the matte. I don't think the color determines the feel. I think it's nice to have both finishes in my collection.

Ok, just have to debate on the colour now. I love to have the buyers in this thread upload pics of their pens as it's really nice to see it with a home camera. I'm debating between 3C in polished black, polished ripple red or blue.

The green/black and light blue pens are so bright and cheery - just lovely!

Spring isn't far away here in Texas and these will blend "write" in :)

KEEP CALM AND BOOGIE ON!

SILENCE IS GOLDEN, BUT DUCT TAPE IS SILVER.

The green/black and light blue pens are so bright and cheery - just lovely!

Spring isn't far away here in Texas and these will blend "write" in :)

I have to agree with you! I have used the Ranga pen a good deal today, it did great. So far the eyedropper pen is holding up quite well. The Black Bird eyedropper is my first "eyedropper only" pen. Yes, it does feel very much like spring, but in a day or two, it will be freezing at night again. My magnolia tree and some spring blooming shrubs are blooming early too. I've never seen that here before here in JANUARY.

Edited by KKay

How often do these groups buys happen? These pens are amazingly beautiful!

another will start at the end of the month

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

Ok, just have to debate on the colour now. I love to have the buyers in this thread upload pics of their pens as it's really nice to see it with a home camera. I'm debating between 3C in polished black, polished ripple red or blue.

hi, the group buy for this particular model is closed...

if you plan to purchase the premium ebonite model... I insist you go for polished finish....

otherwise fro rest of the colors you can go for the matte finish...

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter