• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Elandaria

• ac12

• PAKMAN

• Bo Bo Olson

Not really without more info from you.

Ok.

Well I'm basically in search for a very durable pen for daily carry. This two options came to my mind because both are known to be reliable writers, same price range (more or less), both are really resistant and last is that both of them aren't flashy at all but at the same time both are very good looking.

For now I have Metro as my EDC, but the step from the grip to the body is unconfortable to me, also the grip is very thin for my taste -in this case a have to say that my two references for grips are the Metro (to thin) and the Noodler's Ahab (to broad)-.

My father carried a Parker 51 daily, for thirty years, until he retired. He used it to sign documents and hand-write business letters. Around 1975, Dad had the sac in the Aerometric feed replaced with one of silicone. The pen is still in service after 65 years.

Since 1966, I have used a Parker 45 as my primary EDC, through college and 45 years of personal writing. It is not the same Parker 45 through the years, but I do not hesitate to recommend it.

Use good quality ink, and perform a monthly clean-water flush, and enjoy.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Sounds amazing. That's why the 51 is so appealing to me.

I just want a bulletproof pen with a superb smooth nib, and there are a lot of people that say that the Parker 51 has those two atributes.

I've no experience with the Gist. Between the 2 the Parker 51 seems a good choice.

I'll also throw into the mix to look at the Karas Kustoms INK pen. I've one in a fine nib and it is a smooth, reliable writer and very robust. Got one with a steel nib a year ago for around $95 from Goulet Pens. I highly recommend them.

Sounds amazing. That's why the 51 is so appealing to me.

I just want a bulletproof pen with a superb smooth nib, and there are a lot of people that say that the Parker 51 has those two atributes.

You will have to buy the 51 from someone who knows his 51s. The problem is that there is no nib size marking visible on the nib or pen. So the seller has to know the nib size from comparison or actual tip measurement.

Most of my 51s have Fine nibs, and that seems to be how the pen sold, mostly Fine nibs. This is the old Parker US fine, which is like a Lamy/Pelikan EXTRA Fine nib. FYI, Parker US nibs are narrower than Parker UK nibs of the same marked size. If the paper that you are writing on is not smooth, you will feel the vibration of the nib on the textured paper coming up the pen, and that can be irritating. This generally applies to ANY pen, the finer the nib, the more sensitive it will be to the smoothness or lack of smoothness of the paper. If you want a smooth writer, you want a wider nib; a wide Medium or Broad nib (US 51) or a Medium or wider (UK 51). But be aware that wide nibs for US 51s are rather uncommon, and will command a higher price.

And getting a 51 nib replaced is not easy, as again the supply of wide 51 nibs is rather low resulting in a higher cost for the nib, if you can find it.

Personally, I found my Metro's Medium nib smoother than my US Parker 51's Medium nib.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Most of my 51s have Fine nibs, and that seems to be how the pen sold, mostly Fine nibs. This is the old Parker US fine, which is like a Lamy/Pelikan EXTRA Fine nib. FYI, Parker US nibs are narrower than Parker UK nibs of the same marked size. If the paper that you are writing on is not smooth, you will feel the vibration of the nib on the textured paper coming up the pen, and that can be irritating. This generally applies to ANY pen, the finer the nib, the more sensitive it will be to the smoothness or lack of smoothness of the paper. If you want a smooth writer, you want a wider nib; a wide Medium or Broad nib (US 51) or a Medium or wider (UK 51). But be aware that wide nibs for US 51s are rather uncommon, and will command a higher price.

My nib of preference would be between a Metropolitan's Medium and a German Medium (the only german nib I have tried is the Goulet Medium, so that's my reference). I think that would be a german fine, at least thats my conclusion after using the Goulet nib nook. So maybe a P51 medium would be the right chose. Btw, is there such thing as a fine-medium P51 nib?

Personally, I found my Metro's Medium nib smoother than my US Parker 51's Medium nib.

That sounds discouraging.

I've no experience with the Gist. Between the 2 the Parker 51 seems a good choice.

I'll also throw into the mix to look at the Karas Kustoms INK pen. I've one in a fine nib and it is a smooth, reliable writer and very robust. Got one with a steel nib a year ago for around $95 from Goulet Pens. I highly recommend them.

Tha Ink looks nice too. Which materials you have in it?

Are you somewhere you can hold both of the pens? I have both as well as a Karas Kustoms Ink. All three feel very different in the hand and offer a different writing experience.

Of the three, i like my Karas the best and it is probably the "most durable" if durability is measured as the ability to take physical abuse. The Karas is made of copper and is very heavy. The Karas has a finer nib than the others and i write small.

Of the three, i suspect the 51 is the most durable if one is measuring durability in how long it will last. Parker 51s do have an incredible legacy and track record. The 51 is also the lightest of the three as the other two are made of copper. A lot will depend on how each feels in your hand.

A lot also depends how rough your daily carry is. My daily carry can mean a bike ride to my office and to the classroom, grading papers before the wood stove, a walk/hike in the forest, a camping trip, note taking in the garden, a day at the baseball park keeping score, etc. Given the physical abuse that can happen to my pens, i favor the Karas. It is hard to beat a heavy metal pen for resistant to physical abuse. If your carry is "more civilized", you might find the 51 a better fit. The 51 does have a legacy and track record that is hard to beat for the price.

Note that i have a Pelikan 200 that survived a winter in my garden where it was exposed to both many days of mountain sun (7,000 feet) and several feet of snow at other times. This would be a third type of durability. The pen still writes perfectly.

That sounds discouraging.

There is 60+ years between the 51 and the Metro.

Tipping has improved in that time, so that today even less expensive pens have pretty good tipping. In fact I use Chinese nibs to replace some of the broken/missing nibs in vintage pens, and they write better than the original nibs did. The tipping on the Chinese nibs are round and smooth.

Secondly, if the pen is used (most likely), the tipping could be abused and worn with a flat spot. Some are, some are not. The flat spot can usually be buffed out and made round. But that is a job for a nib tech.

www.SFPenShow.com

For long term durability you can't beat a 51. That said the Gist feels like it will be a durable pen that should hold up under heavy use.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

My nib of preference would be between a Metropolitan's Medium and a German Medium (the only german nib I have tried is the Goulet Medium, so that's my reference). I think that would be a german fine, at least thats my conclusion after using the Goulet nib nook. So maybe a P51 medium would be the right chose. Btw, is there such thing as a fine-medium P51 nib?

Yes a US Parker Medium would be what you would be looking for.

FYI, for comparisons.

My US Parker 51 Fine nibs run 0.018 to 0.020 inch, and my Medium nibs run 0.028 to 0.032 inch.

My Pilot Metro M nib is 0.029 inch. Similar to a narrow US Parker Medium. But this is only ONE pen, so not a valid sample size.

My Pelikan Fine run 0.027 to 0.028 inch (similar to a narrow US Parker Medium and Pilot Medium), and the Medium run 0.035 to 0.038 inch.

Yes there is a fine-medium, but, it will not be easy to get.

Because you are asking for a 51 nib with a specific width of 0.026 to 0.027 inch, or failing that 0.028 inch. And for a seller to measure his nibs to find one at that size for you, will require him to add an extra charge, for the time and effort to do that measuring.

BTW, tip width measurements are subject to individual technique. Someone else measuring the same nib may get a slightly wider or narrower reading. This is a known issue in measuring with a caliper or micrometer.

www.SFPenShow.com

Ever since they went away from real iridium to a mix of rare metals for tipping, companies have tried for cheap and durable tipping. Changing the mix often.

Tipping procedure was perfected in WW2; before that it was lumpy, and chunks tore out.

The early 20th century to 1940 nibs that were unusually good survived ...WW2 metal drive, the first $800 price of gold before there were pen collectors.

Of course if a pen sat in a drawer for a generation or two....the 'iridium' develops micro-corrosion or 'iridium' rust....= drag. Can be removed in 1 1/2 minutes with micro-mesh.

As far as I can tell from my reading all Chinese nibs, if tipped, are tipped with German 'iridium'.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Get the 51. It's bulletproof. I have a Parker 51 Special sitting on my desk that I use everyday. It is an incredibly smooth writer. I especially like the way the cap stays on tightly but is easy to pull off with one hand when you are on the phone. Mine has the Lustraloy cap which always looks good (even when scratched). You will not be disappointed.